• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Carport find: 1982 245GLT and trans question

Roffeman

My neighbor a few houses down had a Volvo Turbo wagon sitting under a carport for a while. I walk my dogs by it every day and I give it a glance every time.

My wife know them a bit and heard that they were thinking of donating it.

We drove over there and it turns out to be a one owner car. Never smoked in and completely rust free. With 176K on the odometer it has traveled less than the 2004 Volvo V70 we drove up in.

After a battery jump it fired right up and I went for a spin. The turbo is turboing and the overdrive is overdriving. The transmission is smooth and quiet.

It is loaded with the usual GL equipment as in power windows, power mirrors, A/C etc. Heat works great and even the fan is quiet.

1982-Volvo-245-GLT-Turbo-dirty-3.jpg

The owner calculated a tax saving of about $250.00 if they donated the car so we agreed on $300.00. Then I drove it home. As you know it is not the initial cost that hurts, it's everything thereafter but we are off to a good start.

It had been sitting under the carport so it had a fair amount of dirt and dust covering the silver metallic paint. After some serious scrub-a-dub a rather clean and straight 245GLT emerged:

1982-Volvo-245-GLT-Turbo-clean.jpg

The plastic head light bezels and grille are in perfect condition.

1982-Volvo-245-GLT-Turbo-clean-2.jpg

The wheels can use paint or powder coat.

1982-Volvo-245-GLT-Turbo-rear.jpg

The car is so honest that it may warrant a complete repaint.

Here is my question:

The car certainly has a weak clutch but it goes forward just fine in all gears. However, when I put it in reverse it hardly moves and I hear a whining (slipping) noise under that car. Is the OD shot?

If so, do you have a favorite overdrive shops in WA state?

Thanks for feedback on this.

Sorry, I should have stated: Manual, 4 speed OD

Also, I should add: It moved back words very slowly when I do this so that would eliminate the gears.

Last edited:
wow, that cleaned up well. grats on the find

i would take a look at the wires under the intake manifold, the insulation turns to playdough and stuff starts to short out, other than that normal maintenance and it should be a happy little brick

Have you taken off the shift boot and checked the reverse inhibitor ring mechanism?
QUOTE]

Noted, will check on this but it does move ever so slowly backwards when in reverse. I am thinking more and more OD clutch. That may explain why it goes forward but not backwards. The clutch surface is only grabbing "one way" as the direction is reversed inside the trans before it goes to the OD.

Keep your thought coming, I really appreciate it.

Nice find.

Re: the OD slippage in reverse, both of our cars do that every once in a while. Usually when trying to go up a steep driveway.

Duane is a good choice. There's also Autosport Seattle. They mainly specialize in british cars and have the parts necessary to rebuild an OD unit.

-J

Why don't take the OD cover plate off on the bottom of the OD unit and clean the filter(s) and change the tranny oil? might solve the problem...if not it sure won't hurt anything.

wow, that cleaned up well. grats on the find

the insulation turns to playdough and stuff starts to short out, other than that normal maintenance and it should be a happy little brick

I like happy bricks. Thanks for the heads up, Olov. This is why TB is great, good advice on something very preventable (if one knows about it)

Speaking of engine compartments, I do have another question:

If I pressure wash the engine compartment, are there components that I should really not get wet? (or spray tons of water on!)?

I like happy bricks. Thanks for the heads up, Olov. This is why TB is great, good advice on something very preventable (if one knows about it)

Speaking of engine compartments, I do have another question:

If I pressure wash the engine compartment, are there components that I should really not get wet? (or spray tons of water on!)?

The wiring harness/any electrical components would be the biggest worry if you were gonna do that. 80's Volvos tend to have the "biodegradable" engine wiring that crumbles away after a decade or so of engine heat, dirt and other stuff. :lol: I can't remember if it's 81' when that started, or 83' though. Either way, I wouldn't do that just yet..

Great find though! I didn't expect it to clean up that nicely!! :cool:

Back