• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Charcoal Canister

clintsnow

Hey all,

This morning I noticed a small leak on the pavement below the driver side front most point of my '89 244. I looked under and noticed a drip forming on the bottom nipple of what I've now come to understand as the charcoal canister. Anyone have any suggestions as to why it appears to be leaking fuel? It looks like all vacuum lines connect to the top of it and there's no wetness up there. Is there supposed to be a line connected to the bottom nipple? Is it likely that the canister just needs to be swapped with a new one from the scrap yard? Is it safe to drive in the meantime?

thanks in advance, I don't really know much about the charcoal canister and I can't seem to find it in the Index of my Bentley manual.

Last edited:
Bentley 253-2

I don't know how 240s behave if you fill the tank _all_ the way, then park in the sun. It might be enough to push fuel from the overflowing tank to the canister???

Bentley 253-2

I don't know how 240s behave if you fill the tank _all_ the way, then park in the sun. It might be enough to push fuel from the overflowing tank to the canister???

Ok, thanks. I did fill the tank all the way last night and then it sat in the sun all day today. If this is possible, it would explain it, but my guess is as good as yours on that one.

The charcoal canister doesn't need a line at the bottom. If you saw this... I might suggest clipping the two zip ties and seeing how heavy it is.

It's purpose of course is that a line runs from the fuel tank to the canister, and then a line runs from the canister to the intake manifold. The canister is filled with activated charcoal because on a hot day as the fuel evaporates (in your tank) it will build pressure and that pressure has to go somewhere. In this instance, it goes into the charcoal canister where it is absorbed and then when the car runs, sucked back into the intake (combustion) system.

If you're noticing a drip, you may have a canister that has either flooded with fuel (not ideal) or the activated charcoal has become saturated which is also not ideal.

That all said... this is a part that is NLA from Volvo as far as I've seen at least. I'm myself trying to chase down a heavy duty vac leak so I've been looking around at such devices.

The canister does have a GM logo on the bottom. I bet with a little sleuthing you could find a comparable replacement online.

Back