• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230ft + 16v rebuild thread.

LeedomtoFreedom

Alright so I picked up another long block for some parts, currently have 3 redblocks in the garage now.

Need some advice for a rebuild. Trying to make a little power on this build (300ish) so was planning on staying stock rods and pistons. If my old 94 short block is okay, I'll use that with the squirters or have to drill into the new block.

Any things that I should be aware of or address while I'm doing this? Haven't done an engine rebuild for real yet (except when I was in highschool autos class) and 2 stroke engines. Going to replace bearings, seals, probably get some better quality rings blah blah.

Also scrounging the forum for build threads to get ideas but I was just curious if anyone had anything to say.

For what it's worth it is not needed to cut the reliefs. We have put 16v heads on a few engines without them and some 10+years later both engines run fine.

For what it's worth it is not needed to cut the reliefs. We have put 16v heads on a few engines without them and some 10+years later both engines run fine.

Wait... this is news to me. How is there no need to cut reliefs into the pistons for the valves? I thought it would interfere otherwise? Even with correct timing.

b230f, stock 16v cams, 7000rpm rev limiter, stock springs.

The car is a 244 w/ Getrag is a b230f with a J pipe manifold and hy35cw that ran on LH 2.4 for years before going to Civinco and then MS. This car ran pump gas and then e85. Boost wise it was around 18-20psi on this setup. Car is a hoot.

I am sure Volvo did it to be safe so if you timed it wrong it didn't destroy the pistons when testing.

And uh other people also know this also, if you look back there are others than mention this also that it just works, no need for cuts in the pistons. If you look around at old posts there is mention of people doing a 16v swap and not doing anything to the bottom end as far back as at least 2010.

Last edited:
What pistons have they used with this? Stock N/A pistons? Is there a height difference between the n/a and turbo pistons?

Have you done that putty trick to see how much room is left between the valves ? Is that a real thing even ?

Back