• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

Mine does it, as well. We may have it coming on sooner than yours does to help keep the temps more steady. Or something. It probably has to do with where the sensor is installed. I have no problems or complaints with my setup, at all. :)

It's in the upper hose isn't it?

Mine would cycle repeatidly with it in the upper hose, after shut-off...

Guess cuz the thermostat opens and closes as the engine cools, letting small pockets of hot water to come out and trigger the switch...

Put it down in the lower hose and it really won't do it that much...should just cool the contents of the radiator and then shut off shortly. There's no thermostat down there...the sensor will always be in water.

Best to trigger based upon the temp of incoming water, not outgoing... in my opinion.

See where I spliced the lower hose? Well the splice closest to the radiator...the other one is for my turbo water cooling....

DSCF7405.JPG

It's in the upper hose isn't it?

it is, my only concern is that right now the temps stay stable at 9 o'clock and I don't want them to rise if I put it in the lower hose with the same thermoswitch. I have yet to find one lower.

Also part of the battery issue was that the alternator wasn't charging worth a damn due to the cable; that's since been solved.

Probably the next time I do the radiator hoses (so, like, in a month or two) I'll flip it to the lower hose and call it good.

it is, my only concern is that right now the temps stay stable at 9 o'clock and I don't want them to rise if I put it in the lower hose with the same thermoswitch. I have yet to find one lower.

Also part of the battery issue was that the alternator wasn't charging worth a damn due to the cable; that's since been solved.

Probably the next time I do the radiator hoses (so, like, in a month or two) I'll flip it to the lower hose and call it good.

Most likely won't raise temps.

Does anybody know if the Efans from 98-00 s/v70's are the same as 940/960/850 ones? I noticed the colors on the fan speed part of the relay were different colors, but it looked exactly the same otherwise. Thought about pulling it out of a v70 in the jy but thought twice because I wasn't sure.

Does anybody know if the Efans from 98-00 s/v70's are the same as 940/960/850 ones? I noticed the colors on the fan speed part of the relay were different colors, but it looked exactly the same otherwise. Thought about pulling it out of a v70 in the jy but thought twice because I wasn't sure.

They have different part numbers, but I dont think it is any problem. Its the relay, and setup that is different. This is in a 240?

You'd want the 940/960 fan with the fan shroud. They are easy to install. Not to mention the wiring are nice and long.

Though Volvo FWD have the same fan, wires length are short, as well as the shroud. FWD shroud will make you crazy trying to install it!

Last edited:
Already have a 9 series efan. Again, this was a general question. Everybody always says 940/960/850 but the x70 ones look exactly the same. Thought I'd ask if anybody knew firsthand (not guessing) if they were in fact, the same.

The shrouds are different and the wiring is different. The relays operate the same way. The motor itself may or may not be the same. Did I help any? :rofl:

This week I did yet another e-fan conversion, this time on my '91 745. This is the first time I have used the factory radiator switch to activate it. It works great, but I had to disconnect the stock pusher fan to be able to utilize the switch. Mine will run for about 30 seconds after I turn the engine off and once, I caught it running for a second cycle, but only for a few seconds.

I plan to add the high speed to come on when the a/c is on later.

One question I have is this. Do you think there is any reason or advantage to using the stock pusher fan for anything now? I do not want to overload the charging system by running high speed on the efan + the pusher fan. But then I also think it would be wasteful to run the pusher fan while only running low speed on the e fan.

Thoughts?

One question I have is this. Do you think there is any reason or advantage to using the stock pusher fan for anything now? I do not want to overload the charging system by running high speed on the efan + the pusher fan. But then I also think it would be wasteful to run the pusher fan while only running low speed on the e fan.

Thoughts?

I only run my pusher fan when the AC is on. Other then that it just sits there and I have yet to see any affects of it not being used or blocking air flow.

I only run my pusher fan when the AC is on. Other then that it just sits there and I have yet to see any affects of it not being used or blocking air flow.

I guess if the bearings are good in the pusher fan, it should just free spin on the road/highway unless it is being powered....in theory. Right?

I wired my pusher fan to the brake switch. It only comes on when I'm braking. I've found that it really does help with the A/C though.

Wired to the brake switch.... That is just crazy enough to work!
So...question:
Use the pusher fan or get rid of the pusher fan and use high speed on the e fan? I would imagine the pusher would draw less current, but would it move as much air as the high speed would?
Also, do you have a switch to disable this function during the winter or just leave it alone?

Back