home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #26
Estateman
K-Jet or Bust
 
Estateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
Steel diff covers use a gasket. It's recommend to use a Volvo gasket. Aluminum cover uses a sealant. I've personally used the green rtv and it works well. No leaks to report.
Which years did the steel cover come on? I ordered a rubber looking diff gasket genuine Volvo.
__________________
88 245 - M46 3.73 Gears
>>FEEDBACK<<
Estateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #27
white855T
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estateman View Post
Which years did the steel cover come on? I ordered a rubber looking diff gasket genuine Volvo.
Everything up to 91 for 240 uses a steel cover. 92-93 240s are the only years that had the aluminum cover.
white855T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #28
esmth
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Default


__________________
1991 244 LH2.4 m46 330k? miles
esmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #29
esmth
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Default

I got a thing. i want to make the exhaust less obnoxious


the volvo assumed shadetree hackery position


so there is no way to just clamp on the muffler without it hitting something on my current exhaust. I ended up just pulling the whole back side of the exhaust to get some better measurements. screw working on wet gravel.


I want to put it here, where the original resonator should have went. but it will definately needs to be welded and the hangers replaced. No way the clamps would seal on the bends.


I put it on the end just to see what it'd sound like. it is definately better but i bet it'll sound better/quieter in the res spot.

Sorry for no rev video. didn't want to piss off my neighbors!
esmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #30
IansPlatinum
Board Member
 
IansPlatinum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:

Sorry for no rev video. didn't want to piss off my neighbors!


Just drive it like that!

But in all seriousness, that still sounds too loud even with the resonator. I'd be willing to bet your muffler is wasted. I didn't realize they could degrade internally until I took my old one off and looked inside. They have steel baffles inside that corrode away and eventually stop producing the acoustic effects that they were engineered to produce.

My car has no resonator and a new stock muffler. It is quieter than what I heard on your video... the only time I notice my car's exhaust it on the highway, when I hit the resonance around 2.5-2.7K RPM. Even then, it's not that loud, just could be quieter, ya know?
__________________
'96 854 Platinum - "Trusty"
'92 245 - "Boat"
'71 145 - "Rusty"

Previous:
'73 1800es - "Sunny"
'92 940T
'98 S70 T5
'99 S70 GLT
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #31
esmth
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
But in all seriousness, that still sounds too loud even with the resonator. I'd be willing to bet your muffler is wasted. I didn't realize they could degrade internally until I took my old one off and looked inside. They have steel baffles inside that corrode away and eventually stop producing the acoustic effects that they were engineered to produce.

My car has no resonator and a new stock muffler. It is quieter than what I heard on your video... the only time I notice my car's exhaust it on the highway, when I hit the resonance around 2.5-2.7K RPM. Even then, it's not that loud, just could be quieter, ya know?
Itís not the stock muffler, itís a mangaflow 18x6x6 2.5Ē straight thru glass pack haha. nothing else in the exhaust. It doesnít sound horrible but it hits maximum fart cannon like you mention from 2800-3100 rpm. Sounded nice when a turbo was muffling the tractor noise but now that itís NA and the glass pack is getting worn out itís pretty obnoxious!!
esmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #32
esmth
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Default

I got some new tires. Continental Extremecontact DWS06 high berformance all season. I'm going to try to break them in before going for some skids but braking feels 8.7 times better than the bald 14" winters I was using before. I did not realize how low I set the car as the old wheels were so much smaller. Before getting a real alignment I may bring it back up just a little.
esmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.