home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #26
white855T
Board Member

I needed to do some end of spring cleaning. This is my overflow unit. Basically where all the large parts go(engines, transmission, body parts, seats, tires/wheels). Everything here for the most part is designated for a car I'm working on. I don't really keep extra stuff, just what I need.

5 years of accumlated alternators(every single one bad), ac compressors(some good, some bad) and starters(I've never really had a bad one, these are all good, believe or not). I will keep a few around for cores(junkyards try every avenue to dig into your wallet).

Luckily there is a scrapper in the next aisle over. I called him over and he took all my scrap. I don't scrap anymore as it isn't worth the trouble. He even took 740 rear wagon seats(and plans to use them!).

I threw away a bunch of 740/940 stuff, not worth mentioning. A weight has been lifted! I hate to have crap accumlate.
white855T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:00 PM   #27
tbent142
Board Member

Purple power worked pretty well for me too. for the block, oil pan etc. aluminum not so good.... lol. I am the dope that soaked the rear main housing and lower timing plate. Ate right through them. Just some experiential knowledge... cool car.
tbent142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #28
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbent142 View Post
Purple power worked pretty well for me too. for the block, oil pan etc. aluminum not so good.... lol. I am the dope that soaked the rear main housing and lower timing plate. Ate right through them. Just some experiential knowledge... cool car.
Man, I learned the hard way too. I dipped some turbo compressor wheels and they were destoryed. You technically can use on aluminum but not overnight, maybe a few hours. It's best not to even risk it. For small aluminum parts, I've been used Berryman chem-dip. This stuff comes in the small 1 gallon size. I want to move up to a 5 gallon pail but its very expensive for that size.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #29
white855T
Board Member

Diassembly went okay for the most part. One tie rod did want to come off so I cut it. Reassembly was not without problems. Doing this while its raining of course. One of the studs on strut mount came loose. Had to weld in place. These kind of things make you lose so much time.

Got everything installed. Power steering rack is looped with hose so it doesn't puke fluid. I painted crossmember and its looking fresh.

Steering wheel installed. Now I have keys that match doors and ignition.

Original e brake was not working, didn't bother messing with. Just replaced with a good one.

Next is to fix the holes in floor. The brake lines are a bit crusty so I think I'm going to replace all of them. I have all the brake lines from a 91 sedan that I had been saving. It has the non leaky junction distributor. At the same time, I will install fresh front calipers with new brake hoses.

I will also have install the fuel line that comes from the rear to the engine bay since the k-jet stuff has different fuel lines.

Once that is done, I can give the engine bay a good clean and get it looking nice and shiny and then proceed to install engine/trans. These are the tasks for the week.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #30
white855T
Board Member

This is what the water looks like after soaking 3 oil pans. It's safe to say you can do 2 oil pans with 1 2.5 gallon containter of power purple. I did push it to 3 but the water is very mucky. The third pan got clean enough that I can do the rest by hand.

I was able to go and pull the rear end from the junkyard. I will swap out the rear end this weekend. Got lucky, the previous owner previously changed trailing arm bushings so far now I don't need to replace them. Once the car is running, I will reevaluate my decision and replace if necessary.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:00 AM   #31
white855T
Board Member

On Friday I took it easy and just painted parts. Got the rear coil spring plates ready as well.

And then the removal on rear end(Sunday)... I didn't take pictures of the old one. Gas tank was crusty. All the brake lines were no good. This was all to be expected so it was all removed and trashed(junkyards want the 'core' rear end back and its $35 bucks back into my pocket).

Crusty tank

Crusty brakes lines. As luck would have it, brake lines were right in the way of where floor pans needs repair.

Installed new brake hoses, ran a new fuel hose for main pump(correct 12 mm fuel hose).

Installed rear end with new brake pads and shocks. Basically the rear end of car is done. Make sure to clean all of your hardware. I didn't install rear sway bar because I have to pull it off my 242 turbo(21 rear sway bar).

This week, rust repair commences. Once that is done, then I can run new brakes lines and fuel hard line(tank to engine bay line). I will repair front floor pan first and then I can plop in the engine/trans sometime this week.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #32
white855T
Board Member

So... I haven't been able to work on this car 3 weeks(which sucks). My daily died again(not throwing money into it again so its being parted out). Been busy parting out 3 cars(1 car left). Huge weight off my shoulders(can't save all the Volvos). Front floor pan repair was done today. I also washed engine bay(needs more detail cleaning). In the next couple of days I will plop the engine/trans in. I got rid of my janky engine hoist and bought another one(second hand of course) so dropping engine/trans in will be a piece of piss. I picked up a beater f150 as my new daily(and towing vehicle). It's nice to have ac and not wonder if the car will start/not start.

Since I have more rust repairs to do, I just sprayed some etching primer to cover todays repair. All repairs will be sprayed down with epoxy primer and painted over. I'm slowing down a bit on working on car so I don't have to rush through everything now.

Before I started repair, I removed the sound deadening material(at least an 1 inch around from where new piece will go). I cut the rotted piece of floor(no picture) out which was the easy part. Did a rough trace on fresh piece that I cut out from a junkyard car and trimmed it down. I weld on basically the lowest setting. I'm using a Titanium 120v flux core welder(dc inverter welder) and it works great for this type of work. As I tack the piece down, I trim piece wherever it needs it. Make sure to grind the edges on where you will weld(where you cut old piece out and the new piece that's going in). I did not use weld thru primer.