home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #26
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
Thats a truck load of info, thanks!

I think the hot ticket for a 7/9 swap would be the LS2 car intake, that way you get the 4 bolt throttle body and 90mm inlet. Then grab a chinabay 90mm throttle body to take advantage of that 90mm inlet. Good for larger displacement or boosted apps.

Like I mentioned, 2008+ truck pan is 1" shorter than the common early truck pan. Giffin Performance mounts are designed to use this pan. Usually found under $100 from salvage yard with the pickup tube.

Water pump with car intake. 2008+ silverado water pump has a lower tube on top. 2010+ L99 Camaro has truck spacing and outlet on drivers side. Thats what I will likely use with a stock radiator.

The small case 130amp truck alternator should fit an f-body bracket, I have one setup that way in an 81 Camaro.

Thats awesome news about the truck AC compressor, I was just talking to John about that this morning. I have piles of brackets and compressors that were just throwaways before this revelation.
Great info!

A couple follow up questions:
1. Does the L99 water pump have a steam vent bung or how are you addressing that?
2. Does the 130A ALT have the rear 3rd hole for mounting? (The ones in my collection did not have the rear mounting hole for proper stability)

Please share videos as you have the opportunity!!! I would love to see how you are approaching the details.
2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon - sons ride - 175k stock
1992 Volvo 965 - "Savage Wagon" w LS 5.3 LM7 + LS7 cam + GM T5 swap in progress.
1979 Porsche 911SC - stock
1971 Chevy C-10 w 5.3 LS (LS2 cam) & GM T5 trans
1948 Spartan Mansion travel trailer - aluminum greatness
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #27
240wagonguy
Board Member

oh I was incorrect on the amp rating, the small case 105 amp fits the bracket. From looking online, it appears the truck alt is different in that it does not have the mounting boss for the rear bracket. Not sure if that's really an issue? For the Camaro I have, I basically bought a swap in another rusted out car that had all sorts of "custom" stuff done. Didn't realize I already had a Camaro alt.

L99 waterpump does not have a steam vent fitting. On my C10 I made an adapter to connect the steam vent line to the heater return fitting on the radiator. For a volvo I understand this would take mods. I am religiously against modding wear parts like water pumps, reason being if I blow up a part on the road and need a quick replacement. I'd be ok with modding the overflow tank however.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #28
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
oh I was incorrect on the amp rating, the small case 105 amp fits the bracket. From looking online, it appears the truck alt is different in that it does not have the mounting boss for the rear bracket. Not sure if that's really an issue? For the Camaro I have, I basically bought a swap in another rusted out car that had all sorts of "custom" stuff done. Didn't realize I already had a Camaro alt.

L99 waterpump does not have a steam vent fitting. On my C10 I made an adapter to connect the steam vent line to the heater return fitting on the radiator. For a volvo I understand this would take mods. I am religiously against modding wear parts like water pumps, reason being if I blow up a part on the road and need a quick replacement. I'd be ok with modding the overflow tank however.
Roger that.

Agreed 100%! Keep the main parts stock JIC. On my C10 I used a JagsThatRun connector in the upper radiator hose return line for the steam vent, same could be done on a Volvo. I like the ICT Billet spacers with the vent built in so that the WP stays stock w/o tapping a hole... Which roadside in BFE in an Autozone parking lot will not workout at all.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #29
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Pulled the 960 out from under the tree/car cover and back into the driveway. Cleaned the dust off and she is ready for wrenching once again!

Ordered some small parts from IPD yesterday as well.

Keep on my ass for updates!
Old 04-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #30
yolk
Board Member

I'm happy you're alive and about the possibility for more updates!
yolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #31
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Waiting for the UPS man and we should have some more progress! More parts and more parts!

Old 05-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #32
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

How to make a Hig Pressure PS hose!

Got a hose put together last night. A few parts, but I did end up just making a SS AN hose after all.

EVIL ENERGY 6AN 3/8" Stainless Steel Braided PTFE E85 Transmission Gas Oil Fuel Line Fittings Kit 16Ft Universal(8.13mm ID) - Amazon

https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...low-restrictor

Vibrant Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings 11524 - Summit

I used the 45 degree fittings on both ends to clear away from the exhaust. All the components are of very nice quality. No ragrats, but it was expensive.

As noted earlier I bet many people need the flow restriction and just don't bother. Otherwise the steering is/would be super light and over assisted. The Turn One units is designed for sports cars with LS swaps.

Adding: The Evil Energy AN hose is gold for the price! Easy assembly and no BS. Goodbye Aeroquip/Russell/etc!
Old 06-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #33
bobcratchet555

this build slept for far too long.....wake it up and get driving it!!
bobcratchet555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #34
JJones
Board Member

Been wondering what was happening with your build, glad to hear your working on it again.. can't wait to hear that thing run!!
M47 I got from you is still going strong, Thanks again!
JJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #35
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

The wife says all the Trump bucks can go to the Volvo build... May get her running yet!

Fabricated a T5 shifter extension last week. Very pleased wit the placement now. If anyone can post pics, I can send them over text to you to share up here.

Need to build the trans brace, which I think I can fabricate.

Needs:
- Driveshaft modified.
- Still unsure on stock ECU flash vs FiTech/TerminatorX
- Exhaust built
- Stereo installed (it will be too good for the car)
- A/C lines
- Window tint

So we are in a decent place so far.

GOAL: LS Fest East on Sept 11-13! Anyone else going?
Old 07-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #36
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJones View Post
M47 I got from you is still going strong, Thanks again!
Awesome! Glad she's been a good runner for you!
Old 07-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #37
rallydallas
Board Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
Needs:
- Exhaust built
- A/C lines
Somehow I have been hiding under a rock during the pandemic! So what did you go with for exhaust manifolds? I can give you some info on mine (cut up stock cast steel.) And for A/C? I sourced a part # and bought a new compressor but it's not installed yet :( Just let me know
rallydallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #38
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

I ended up with the C5/C6 Corvette header. Custom piping after that.

At this point, I have a stock truck LM7 AC compressor. Stock 960 other parts, but it will need custom lines done for it though.

AC lines might be the hardest part... IDK yet as it will come last.

Adding the goal is that everything work and look as stock for a 960. That is always the hardest part getting the minutia working. No slap and tickle here ;)
Old 07-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #39
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Ordered a Holley Terminator X kit... Lets see what happens.

Why TermX? Because it supports the Fuel Composition Sensor for E85.

Also ordered all the stereo bits so that it sounds good ;)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #40
240wagonguy
Board Member

I've pondered it. Seems like a nice bit of kit. No local E85 stations up here so thats a moot point for me. The plug n play aspect of it is nice
240wagonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #41
rallydallas
Board Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I ended up with the C5/C6 Corvette header. Custom piping after that.

At this point, I have a stock truck LM7 AC compressor. Stock 960 other parts, but it will need custom lines done for it though.

AC lines might be the hardest part... IDK yet as it will come last.

Adding the goal is that everything work and look as stock for a 960. That is always the hardest part getting the minutia working. No slap and tickle here ;)
Quote:
Ordered a Holley Terminator X kit... Lets see what happens.

Why TermX? Because it supports the Fuel Composition Sensor for E85.

Also ordered all the stereo bits so that it sounds good ;)
Oh very nice!! Are you going to show us pics of the headers and the piping? Also, 960 so the rear is IRS?

Only hard thing IMHO is the AC line at the condenser, since Volvo uses a weird aluminum block for the inlet and outlet. I guess it just breaks off easy in a crash. Otherwise I think any decent AC shop or AC lines shop can make them pretty quick. Otherwise I'm pretty sure you could probably make them yourself with one of those expensive crimpers (maybe borrow one?) I say all this and yet I haven't done the AC in the 945 yet...

It is definitely harder trying to keep things stock! But in a way it is easier too, since you re-use a lot of stuff.

I've been making a spreadsheet comparing ECUs and E85 sensor input is a pretty common thing these days, but TerminatorX is definitely overkill or maybe just-the-right-amount-of-kill especially since it can handle the turbo and/or supercharger upgrades in the future :D
Old 07-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #42
240wagonguy
Board Member

Being able to support a flex fuel sensor doesn't really make the argument for spending the dough on a holley system. Stock PCM will do that, megasquirt, etc. It's really just the ease of install and configuration. Seems to me you can drop a holley harness on the engine and be running in 5 mins. It's just designed to be easy.
240wagonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #43
rallydallas
Board Member

Well actually on second thought maybe not so bad. I'm guessing your 92 is the same as my 93 945 and my 88 744 as far as lines go probably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (111.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #44
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Update. I'm slowing my roll a bit. Working on the Car Audio portion vs the actual Go portion!

FWIW the Metra install kit that came with the Kenwood HU from Crutchfield is SPOT on! Very well made and proper length.

The front deck speakers, Italian 3" full range, will run off the HU power. The doors will be Seas AL dome tweets, Silver Flute 5.25" mids, and JBL MS-62 crossovers being pushed by an OS Phoenix Gold MS-275. Recapped the MS-275 last night and she running good bro!

Probably build a false floor in the rear tire area for the amps. MS-275 and Rockville class D on an OS single TC Sounds 10" NEO driver... Don't sleep on this 10" as it will hurt your organs in a wagon.

Trying to figure on how to run the power wire front to back at the moment.

It's not just about the LS... This will be a Driver with all the goodies to match.