home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2020, 10:07 PM   #26
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...
 
Vol242vo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Default

Great attention to detail, these are the fun things that will make the big difference overall, small details add up big.
__________________
Derek
1980 242
Recaro LX Bs - 16" ARE 398s - 25/25 Sway Bars - Bilstein HDs - SuperPro Poly/STS Derlin Bushings - MSD - R Sport Wheel - 'Skinny' Bumpers'

-Project Thread-


Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #27
3wagons
Board Member
 
3wagons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NW GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Great attention to detail, these are the fun things that will make the big difference overall, small details add up big.
Thanks!


I finally had some time to finish up the front end project.

The brass tumbler seemed to be working well on the hardware, but I only let it run for about 6 hours. A full day in the walnut shells would have made more of a difference.



Actually remembered to take a shot while I was working.


No glamour shots, but at least proof that I got something done.


Next issue that popped up was that the intermittent high beam issue was becoming more of an issue. I assumed it was the step relay, so I swapped it with one out of my 82. No luck.

I bench tested both relays using info from Dave Bartons page and both seemed to be in good order.


When the turn signal stalk was pulled forward, you could hear the relay clicking under the hood, but no change in the lights. Shooting a ground to the correct pin on the relay would switch the lights back and forth. A forum member suggested using a test light instead of the Power Probe which finally yielded the issue. When the stalk was pulled, the test light barely illuminated leading me to realize that it was a ground issue. I tested all the ground from the battery to the steering column and all were around .3 ohms. When I tested the ground wire from the turn signal switch to the relay, it was over 60 ohms. I jumpered a ground to the pin on the switch and the lights switched fine. I pulled the turn signal switch and cleaned it and was able to get the resistance down to around 20 ohms consistently. I reinstalled the switch, and now they work fine. Apparently the switch was sending enough of a ground to the relay to make it try to switch over, but not enough to lock in.



the brown wire is the ground signal to the relay.
__________________
82 242
83 242
86 745 M46
92 745
94 945
3wagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.