home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #26
svinkle
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
If it has the large ball joint it's the correct arm. Also, the upper arms are the same left and right so you can use either one.
Excellent!

I noticed that the ball joints were installed at different orientations in each car. In the '71, it was not aligned with the center of the arm.
Untitled
In the '69, it was centered. Greenbook says to center it, so I'm gonna do that unless there's an argument not to.

Also, the new lower bushings look they ought to be in a certain orientation. There is a recess in the rubber:
Untitled

Greenbook says to install with recess 95* from longitudinal axis of the arm. Am I seeing correctly that the blue dot should be pointed down plus 5* away from the balljoint end of the arm?
Untitled
Old 07-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #27
hiperfauto
The Librarian

The notch in the upper ball joint should be facing out.

The notch with the blue dot on the lower control arm bushing should be 90° to the ball joint plus or minus 5°.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #28
svinkle
Board Member

Uppers bushings and ball joint swap were no problem but I am having trouble with the lowers. The metal flange is much thinner than the Volvo marked ones I removed. I'm using a tool attachment that fits very tightly around the rubber to contact the metal, and it's bending the flange down. I don't know how I could use a smaller diameter tube without crushing the rubber. I super cleaned up the inner surface of the arms, tried grease, tried freezing the bushing and heating the arm.

Untitled

I got these from VP, figuring they'd be the best available. Are there better options for rubber?
svinkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:11 PM   #29
hiperfauto
The Librarian

The bushings that IPD sells have a thicker shell but it will still bend if your pressing on the outside of the flange and the bushing is a tight fit.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7546...t-vr221-683267

I made this tool that presses on the flange where there are gaps in the rubber.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #30
svinkle
Board Member

Man, I was imagining a tool exactly like that! Unfortunately I’m not a metal fabricator.

I got one bushing in that has a bent flange but seated all the way. I ruined the next one

If the iPd ones are better, I might just bite the bullet and get a set on Monday. Are those the best rubber available, as far as you know?

edit: Actually, I do have a bunch of square keys. I bet that I can put one in each gap to spread the force better.
Untitled

Last edited by svinkle; 07-24-2020 at 08:29 PM..
Old 07-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #31
hiperfauto
The Librarian

I'd check with IPD first to make sure they haven't changed suppliers since that pic was taken. Your bushing is made by MTC and IPD is using the same part number (VR221) but the pic looks like a Meyle bushing. IPD may be selling the same brand as VP now that Lemforder and Meyle have stopped making them. We don't have much choice these days.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #32
svinkle
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
I'd check with IPD first to make sure they haven't changed suppliers since that pic was taken. Your bushing is made by MTC and IPD is using the same part number (VR221) but the pic looks like a Meyle bushing. IPD may be selling the same brand as VP now that Lemforder and Meyle have stopped making them. We don't have much choice these days.
That's great info!

If I can use square keys to spread the force like your tool, I feel more confident about giving it another go. I'll figure out if it works tomorrow... at the moment I'm in exhausted/frustrated/damage parts mode.
Untitled
If it works and iPd has the MTC part then I can just get one to replace the one I ruined instead of a whole new set.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #33
svinkle
Board Member

After some mild drama, I have all new bushings up front. I also switched out the cut springs for the OE springs from my '69 parts car.

Untitled

The ride height seems absurdly high now. I did let the car down to load the suspension before torquing the bolts/nuts, but it only compresses an inch or so.

Untitled

I drove it up and down the driveway to let it settle some. Distance from center of wheel to fender is ~17-18" (on the high arch side of the car )

Kinda but not really related, I swapped the rear springs too. They were only ~1/2" different height, with ~equal coil diameter. Seemed like just small OEM variation.

This is the best before photo I have with the cut springs:
Untitled

Is the stock ride height monster truck height? And if not, what could I have done wrong?
Old Today, 06:10 AM   #34
mitch1971
Board Member

Are the springs sitting in their seats properly?
mitch1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:27 PM   #35
svinkle
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Are the springs sitting in their seats properly?
Nope!

I was so focused on getting them seated in the lower arms that I neglected to make sure the tops were seated. All good now.