home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-18-2020, 12:06 AM   #1
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Default 960 Wagon Rear Window Trim Removal?

Hello TBers, if you saw my last post in my 960 thread below you saw my smashed rear glass in the 960 wagon :(

I have drilled the 3 rivets out of the side trim strips and they came off easily with only a little bit of stlil-gooey window adhesive holding one end in by chance.

How do the top and bottom ones come off? I suspect from the inside somehow? I tried searching, but had no luck.

Will attempt it if no replies and I know probably not a commonly done thing, but though I'd try asking first.

Thanks in advance if you happen to know! :-)
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:09 AM   #2
Acke
Board Member

In the 945 the outside lower trim slides to the side, my guess is the upper does the same.
Acke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Okay! Thanks for that, will give it a try tomorrow most likely.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:33 AM   #4
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Can confirm both upper and lower move a little, maybe a bit less than an inch, either way without much issue, but after that I think there is a clip or something that I need to deal with. Anyone know what the detail is before I ruin it trying the wrong way? I can see some sort of clip, but not clear what to do to/with it to help it move more.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:34 AM   #5
Acke
Board Member

I thing the end of the trim popped out when given a proper push after it hit thi clip. Probably not the right way to do it, but in my case it was my winterbeater...
I found a pick where the trim is removed, here you can se the clips:
Acke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Yes, I got this done today, but a little more gently/subtly Bottom one slid across easily because straighter, top one popped off each clip and loaded up onto the next due to curvature.

Procedure for the next poor soul:

Push trim all the way in one direction, using something soft to protect the rear door edge, and your hand to stop the trim moving further, pry the end cap out of the trim. Once it's out, slide the trim off fully in the other direction. Same for top and bottom, but be more careful with the top one as mentioned above.

Photos:

I would definitely not recommend doing as Acke said and just pushing or hitting the trim until the end popped. Mine were both stuck with the paint the trim is covered in, and the clips are pretty delicate, so you'd be quite likely to break the clips and cause another problem. Doing it the way I describe above your clips have a good chance of survival - none of mine broke.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:23 AM   #7
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

May as well keep this thread rolling with the problem/solution, so a few more updates:

In summary, 1220x2440 US size sheet of 4mm chinese polycarbonate with one UV resistant side and protective film both sides, 3 tubes of structural glazing adhesive, one new jigsaw, various blades to see which does the nicest cut, and not pictured I have a platinum noga deburring set with a double edge deburrer that I'll probably use to clean these up post jigsaw :-)

Next up:

Clean remaining glass and glue out of frame, wipe with solvent to get it truly clean, cut piece of polycarbonate to suit, test fit, adjust, clamp, drill for rivets, buy rivets to suit trim, mask see-through-bit on inside including majority of existing film, goo up and install! Wish me luck