home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #101
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 guy View Post
If I had been able to get an intact replacement piece for $80 all in I probably would have picked that option.
yeah $80 to not piece together that old thing and still have to look at the seams, I'm in. Glad you see it how I do

Good info on cte of ABS
I didn't know that (I should, I'm an ME )

Previous:
'73 1800es - "Sunny"
'92 940T
'98 S70 T5
'99 S70 GLT
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #102
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
shhhh it's ok. Materials engineering is a different major.
I only know the acetone trick because of 3d printing (using acetone to smooth surfaces, "weld" parts together).
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #103
142 guy
Board Member

Quote:
Good info on cte of ABS
The only reason I remember this is because on the final exam of a 3rd year materials engineering course there was a question which required you to derive the coefficients for the Arrhenius rate formula and use them to predict cure times for epoxy used to bond two different materials in an oven - happened to be aluminum and a ceramic (big difference in expansion rates). You had to predict the cure times at different temperatures.

The final part of the question noted that at the lower cure temperatures the cure succeeded; but, at the higher temperatures the bond always failed after completion of the cure. The question asked why. I formulated a number of options involving plastic constraint and other BS. The question bugged me so much that I later went back to the Prof expecting a complicated answer. He said 'simple one sentence answer - drastically different coefficients of expansion'. He congratulated me on my complex BS answer and to pour a little salt on the wound noted that if I had seen the obvious simple answer I would have aced the final with 100%.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #104
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
The only reason I remember this is because on the final exam of a 3rd year materials engineering course there was a question which required you to derive the coefficients for the Arrhenius rate formula and use them to predict cure times for epoxy used to bond two different materials in an oven - happened to be aluminum and a ceramic (big difference in expansion rates). You had to predict the cure times at different temperatures.

The final part of the question noted that at the lower cure temperatures the cure succeeded; but, at the higher temperatures the bond always failed after completion of the cure. The question asked why. I formulated a number of options involving plastic constraint and other BS. The question bugged me so much that I later went back to the Prof expecting a complicated answer. He said 'simple one sentence answer - drastically different coefficients of expansion'. He congratulated me on my complex BS answer and to pour a little salt on the wound noted that if I had seen the obvious simple answer I would have aced the final with 100%.
Great story... yeah that's the stuff that'll stay with you. I know I have similar experiences, but they are more on the dynamics side of life.

Materials was a fun class, I just never really thought twice about cte in this application. I had used globs of 2 part epoxy and metal washers to rebuild my s70 glove box and dashboard after an aerosol can exploded inside of it on a 110* F day in July. It lasted until I sold the car... and then I happened to come across the car in a junkyard years later, mostly all picked over. The only identifying feature left was the epoxy & washers that I had applied years before. But they were still there! The washers were probably zinc coated steel though.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #105
142 guy
Board Member

Interesting. I would have thought that Texas temperatures would present a particular challenge in terms of heat cycling.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #106
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Interesting. I would have thought that Texas temperatures would present a particular challenge in terms of heat cycling.
epoxy is known for its flexibility though

a big reason why epoxy primers tend to do better at rust-proofing steel than a hardening urethane like POR-15. The urethane can crack, allowing moisture to corrode the metal, whereas the epoxy has a bit of flex to it
Old 07-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #107
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Slowly gathering everything I need to fix up the interior...

Old 07-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #108
svinkle
Board Member

Quote:
Slowly gathering everything I need to fix up the interior...

It's funny how almost every lower dash panel I've seen has a hole drilled in some random place.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #109
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinkle View Post
It's funny how almost every lower dash panel I've seen has a hole drilled in some random place.
Yeah, what's that for? The good condition one I bought has evidence of a nut on the back side...

Trunk popper? Aftermarket alarm? Forbidden ashtray?
Old 07-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #110
svinkle
Board Member

Quote:
Trunk popper? Aftermarket alarm? Forbidden ashtray?
Yeah who knows. I had a switch on mine for the reverse lights because the PO had swapped in an M41 that didn’t have a reverse switch.
svinkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #111
alschnertz
Enough already!

Quote:
The good condition one I bought has evidence of a nut on the back side...
Did the "good condition" one come from me? I had one with a hole in the same place but don't remember who it got sold to.
On mine, the PO had a dial for a speaker fader installed there.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #112
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alschnertz View Post
Did the "good condition" one come from me? I had one with a hole in the same place but don't remember who it got sold to.
On mine, the PO had a dial for a speaker fader installed there.
This one came from seller "niland0_0" on Ebay
Old 07-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #113
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Was cleaning out the garage and found an old insurance card that came out of rusty. Looks like the car was driven up to as late as 2012!
Googled the address out of curiosity, set the date back to 2007, and there he is!

Kinda cool to "travel back in time" like that.

After Boat is finished, I'll be upholstering some seats now that I have an original 71 140 seat pattern to use.
Other miscellaneous shenanigans include stripping the paint on the hood and rattlecanning it for now, should look slightly better and protect the steel until I can get the body ready for paint in a year or two.