home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Drunk_Babies
Board Member

Default AW70 Torque converter removal

I'm stuck on these four flex plate - torque converter bolts. I have a 24mm sock and a a breaker bar on the frame so the flex plate is locked right but these still won't budge. Any tips? Would a 12 point box end wrench work better than 6 point?
Drunk_Babies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
white855T
Board Member

Ideally a 6 point offset box wrench would work the best. The 12 point offset box wrenches are a lot more common and can be bought almost anywhere.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Dumb advice, but triple check and make sure you're forcing them the correct way. Years ago i accidentally tightened and snapped a TC bolt because I was on the back side of it and thought I was loosening it. I just took mine off of my aw70 about 4 days ago. They should not be on too tight. I think they get torqued at the factory to 30-40 ft lbs. I actually didn't even have to counter hold my crank, the force of cylinder compression was enough for me to get them loose with a box end and rubber mallet to jolt them loose. 16mm heads if I remember correctly, 5/8" wrench will also fit.

Previous:
'73 1800es - "Sunny"
'92 940T
'98 S70 T5
'99 S70 GLT
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
Drunk_Babies
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
Dumb advice, but triple check and make sure you're forcing them the correct way. Years ago i accidentally tightened and snapped a TC bolt because I was on the back side of it and thought I was loosening it. I just took mine off of my aw70 about 4 days ago. They should not be on too tight. I think they get torqued at the factory to 30-40 ft lbs. I actually didn't even have to counter hold my crank, the force of cylinder compression was enough for me to get them loose with a box end and rubber mallet to jolt them loose. 16mm heads if I remember correctly, 5/8" wrench will also fit.
That's what I thought! There's something weird going on here..I was able to get an impact on and sat hammering it for 15 seconds, reversed clockwise for a second. Did that probably 10 times, still doesn't budge. I've locked the crank, put a wrench on and hit it with a hammer.

I got one off early this morning somehow but the other three refuse to budge. I've heat cycled them four times already today. Not sure what else to try.

Is it possible to remove the bellhousing and transmission without the torque converter? Might give me some more room..
Old 07-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
TestPoint
Board Member

Separated them out of the car but cannot be that easy in place.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
kyote
Living The Dream

Redneck Impact Wrench- whack the end of the wrench with a hammer to break them loose. If you try to just strong arm them they usually strip out. Offset wrench makes it easier, but it can be done with a normal box wrench if you're careful.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
TestPoint
Board Member

Rubber or dead blow hammers seem to work better than steel.
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Babies View Post
That's what I thought! There's something weird going on here..I was able to get an impact on and sat hammering it for 15 seconds, reversed clockwise for a second. Did that probably 10 times, still doesn't budge. I've locked the crank, put a wrench on and hit it with a hammer.

I got one off early this morning somehow but the other three refuse to budge. I've heat cycled them four times already today. Not sure what else to try.

Is it possible to remove the bellhousing and transmission without the torque converter? Might give me some more room..
I wonder if some joker put red loctite on them at some point? Perhaps a torch sesh is in order?
Old 07-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
2manyturbos

16mm short 6 point socket on a 3/8” drive breaker bar. The socket sits against the pan edge. You don’t even need to lock the crank. There is barely enough room to do this. You just have to try it and you’ll find out it is the way to do it. They always break loose.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:15 PM   #10
Drunk_Babies
Board Member

The remaining two bolt heads are getting rounded off, I'm just going to cut this mother****er off
Old 07-27-2020, 11:45 PM   #11
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Babies View Post
The remaining two bolt heads are getting rounded off, I'm just going to cut this mother****er off
Use a large chisel and hammer to loosen the bolts. The bolt heads will be ruined but at least you'll be able to get them off. I had to do this just last week. When one of the bolt heads rounded off.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
Drunk_Babies
Board Member

Old 07-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
745T+
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
16mm short 6 point socket on a 3/8” drive breaker bar. The socket sits against the pan edge. You don’t even need to lock the crank. There is barely enough room to do this. You just have to try it and you’ll find out it is the way to do it. They always break loose.
My technique, but Roy has done it lots more.
745T+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #14
Estateman
K-Jet or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyote View Post
Redneck Impact Wrench- whack the end of the wrench with a hammer to break them loose. If you try to just strong arm them they usually strip out. Offset wrench makes it easier, but it can be done with a normal box wrench if you're careful.
+1. It took an offset box end wrench hit on the end with a rubber mallet to get the bolts loose. Usually once I could break them past tight they almost spun themselves out.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #15
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Semi-unrelated, but I bought me a 3/8 breaker from Horror Fraught recently and it has quickly become a favorite. That and my M12 Power Ratchet is a hell of a combo.