Rebuild 32/36 DGEV 0 0%
Convert back to dual SUs 6 100.00%
Try a Weber 38 DGAS synchronous carb 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
spock345
Board Member

Default B18 carburetor options

The 122 I have been working on was swapped to a Weber 32/36 DGEV sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's. The issue is that this carburetor is tired. Most of the diaphragms are blown out, and the main throttle spring is tired.

I have decided that it is time to entertain other fuel delivery options while I have the engine bay taken apart. I could try rebuilding the DGEV, convert it back to twin SU's, or try a 38 DGES (synchronous instead of progressive). The DGES has me intrigued because it seems more similar to the dual SU setup the car originally had but I wouldn't have to go source two SU carbs, a linkage, and a manifold to make it work.

In the end my plans for the motor are just going to be a new exhaust (I have the later dual port manifold) and a D cam. Maybe bump the compression up to B18B spec if I ever take the head off.

Last edited by spock345; 08-01-2020 at 11:07 AM..
spock345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
mitch1971
Board Member

For that setup personally I’d go the dual SUs rather than the single Weber. Dual 40 DCOEs with 33 chokes (I’m not familiar with Weber’s) is an option and flow better than the SUs but more expensive and use more fuel. SUs are a very simple carb and selecting the correct needle will be straight forward.

Other options; dual 175 CD strombergs, Mikunis or possibly 4 Yamaha R1 carbs.
mitch1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

If you're feeling adventurous, you can get a carb adapter for a jag straight-six, and run two DGEV/DGES carbs on an old SU manifold. Someone else on here did that, but I seriously can't remember who.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
For that setup personally I’d go the dual SUs rather than the single Weber. Dual 40 DCOEs with 33 chokes (I’m not familiar with Weber’s) is an option and flow better than the SUs but more expensive and use more fuel. SUs are a very simple carb and selecting the correct needle will be straight forward.

Other options; dual 175 CD strombergs, Mikunis or possibly 4 Yamaha R1 carbs.
Dual SU's would make things easier. Do Mikunis and strombergs mount to the SU manifold?

I haven't done any head or exhaust work yet so I doubt DCOEs would be of much benefit.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
Do Mikunis and strombergs mount to the SU manifold?
yes they are the same bolt pattern for HS6 HIF44 CD175's and Mikunis of that pattern

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #6
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Honestly SU's are just about perfect for the stock-ish B18. There are a few companies that have rebuild services, and they're pricing isn't to bad.

I ran 45 DCOE's on my B18 and they were just to much. It runs much better on SU's. DCOE 40s would be better, but I doubt you'd see much improvement over the SU's
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #7
spock345
Board Member

I picked up a set of HS6 carburetors and a manifold from someone nearby. Throttle shafts will probably need work.

Is it possible to just send out the bodies to have the bushings replaced? I have the tools for most of the rebuild process. Just not the drill press and reaming tools needed to do the bushings right.

Compared to the weber the SUs seem to be the simplest thing on the planet. Not having to worry about getting the right size for half a dozen or more jets works for me.