home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Wolfie
Board Member

Default B230FT My First Rebuild

First off, i have not taken Rearly as many pictures as i planned. and i have No idea what i'm doing, so thanks to all of you that have kicked me in the right direction

Now, this is a 95 940T engine. (so i have been told)
I found it online and had it shipped in,
Well the delivery company was suppose to call me prior to dropping it off at the local loading dock. Lucky i had talked to the loading dock folks because i got a call while i was at work saying you have 5 min to get here or your engine is going back on the truck. i call them back 10 min later... the owners son, was kind enough to sign for it.

they Say the engine iad 166K miles on it....

It arived with the intake the injectors turbo ect. but when i was cranking it over by hand it was not easy, so i pulled the plugs. it was still tough... and when i did it make a nasty little Tap like the sound of sheet metal.

curious, i pulled the valve cover off, and then the intake and exause manifolds (Lucky nothing broke)

manifold intake gasket was nasty

After a bit of Dremmel time. it's a Little better.

I made the intakes a wee bit bigger.

then i used some finer pollish crap to kinda clean the heads up a bit.

now looking into the cylinders the two end cylinders had a little rust in them. so they will be going into the machine shop shortly to get bored out the the slightest little bit. not you can still see the original machine marks in the cylinder walls.

< Photos soon >

So. it Should run nice when it's all done, i gotta look cool to right?
Well it wont. but i did pull the down pipe and cat off and polished and paint stripped the THICK road drime off.

I Talked my Wife into helping a little.

we took turns...
This lasted for a couple hours...

...she's so creative...

so... next is the tranny, new clutch all ready to go.

Getting the U Joints out is Not an Easy task,, i pulled the pins and tryed to hammer them threw... i tryed an Air Chizle, hardly a scratch. although cement in the driveway says it's working...
so, after i finaly managed to get the bolts out of the part that plugs into the rear end

then i painfully lowered the tranny down, onto my face.

to get the U joint free i used one of my impact sockets so the sledge would not hit any thing but the u joint caps place every thing on the cement floor and spent about 10 min pretending i was chopping wood.
on a safety note. do not do this in a room with windows, or breakable objects. that socket can realy fly!
so, now i still have the front half of the drive line connect to the tranny Via the rubber boot thing. but the rest of the drive line i wraped in a kitchen towel and put in a small bench vice and used a wire brush and alot of gas as well as a file to take off any burs.

then out with the paint, i painted the cat and the down pipe with high temp paint, although i think the down pipe will burn the paint because the highest temp blue paint i could find was 500F

while all this was going on, my boxes of parts were rolling in, the very last box a "head set" head gasket exaust and valve stem gaskets ECT was the last box to arrive.. and it arrived totaly crushed.
i dident bother to open it, i took it back to UPS and opened it infront of them.
Head gasket any one?

Okay well thats all for todays installment of WTF will happen next!
please tune in later for the latest news

I have been told i will be getting a refund in ~8 days.
Although i did have a misunderstanding with UPS and the same local office fixed it and i'm Very pleased with one of the people that work there.

Last edited by Wolfie; 09-30-2007 at 08:38 PM..
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
surfbug
Board Member

very nice!

does that have the 13mm rods?

what turbo are you gonnna use. 15G ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyDey View Post
...its so nice to have a mullet expert on board, isnt it?
CURRENT RIDE->'88 765ti 10/08 222k. OLD RIDES->'89 765ti 207k 10/07 to 2/09, '87 765ti 9/06 to 10/07. FAM RIDE->'98 v70 awd xc 6/08-- 8/13 new addition! - '94 944ti 248k current DD. also...2002 e46 325ci conv 58k miles..for sale now! pm for info
surfbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Wolfie
Board Member

yeah 13mm Rods, and oil squirters. I was thinking of useing the Garret that's currently in the car, i can eather go with a garrett or a mitsu it came with the mitsu.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
DecalServiceBrett
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
yeah 13mm Rods, and oil squirters. I was thinking of useing the Garret that's currently in the car, i can eather go with a garrett or a mitsu it came with the mitsu.
Garrett please.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
The Ironswede
Board Member

I like this thread. Im keeping checking in.
The Ironswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Wolfie
Board Member

Default Update.

I Called and the head work is not done.
the head is getting checked out. new seals new gaskets ECT. and a 3 angle valve job. that should be finished wednesday... but it's okay....
Last night i pulled the rest of the crap off the block, and pulled the oil Pump

the tapping i heard and thought it was coming from the heads (but it also sounded like it could be from the bottom)
was the oil pump i found this out when i took the pump out and heard it.
Ok now there is the plastic hose that from from the crank case vent box (where the flame trap would be)
what's that hose called and where do i get a new one?

and the psudo flame trap vent box

Now for the Ugly!!!

this is the #1 Cylinder? closest to the firewall is #1 right?

as you see, it's not in as great of shape as the #4? (close to the timeing belt)
it's in better shape, but it rained one night and the tarp blew off and it rusted.

and now for the ever famous and saught after OIL SQUIRTERS! Arn't they a beautiful cruddy brown!

Stay tuned to this thread for more exciteing updates!

Last edited by Wolfie; 10-01-2007 at 04:29 PM..
Old 10-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
BoostedSwede
Masshole

That's the drain tube for the oil separator box. It leads down into the oil pan. I believe you can order a new one from www.fcpgroton.com. Whenever you change your oil trap, be sure NOT TO DISTURB THIS HOSE!!!! YOU NEED TO PULL THE OIL PAN TO GET THE HOSE BACK IN!!!! Because you're doing a rebuild, it doesn't really matter, but just for future reference.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
rmriggin
Board Member

The tube just ends up getting hard and brittle. I ordered a replacement tube and trimmed it down. I could have also just used a o-ring. The tube is pointless in my opinion so I only used enough of it to have it make the seal to the block.
rmriggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
suterman
Board Member

you can also get a tube from the volvo stealership, shouldnt be too much, you could clean up those bores with a light hone with a hand drill honer, (take the squirters out first)

Ps, the engine is non interferance, IE even if the cam belt broke at 5000 rpm the engine would be fine.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
MikeHardy
The Sirius/Nova Police

no1 cyl is closest to the timing belt. those squirters look pretty clean and golden in those pics. engine looks nice inside.
MikeHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Wolfie
Board Member

how do i tell what the stock piston size is? i have another set that Think are just a Little bigger.
and they have #'s on them, but any body know the stock size, that way i can figure out what i need if i can use the new ones?

im shot sure if i should have the michene shop tell me if i need no bearings? but i have no idea how to tell shoot i'm not shure what to look for.
and thanks for the advice on the drain hose. I'll be ordering one ASAP.

here are a couple of Pic's of the car, she has some battle scars, but no body work has been done.

so far, it's been backed over by an 05 Neon, the Neon was Parked on the hood, and the back bumper was ~12 inches from the windshiled (i was stopped and she was flyin in reverse)

the damage to the front spoiler was from a VW Bug. my car was parked in a yard and the bug backed into me. it pushed his engine into the back seat and totaled the bug.
it broke my fog lite bracket and cracked my spoiler. no other scratches.

the dent in the door was from a snowmobile with pipe bumpers and a throttle was was frozen wide open (yes, i was driveing) Drivers Door

The Wheels, are Solaris 16's. they are from an S40 I belive.

the Spacers are Anodized 25 mm front and 32mm rears I bought then from Dale (245gti)

The Rotors are Zimmermin X-Drilled the Pads are Ceramic, I Dont Rember the brand, i want to say thay are Green Some thing.... BAD Brake dust!! No Squeeks and agresive in a good way!

My Baby!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
Wolfie
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennexus View Post
no1 cyl is closest to the timing belt. those squirters look pretty clean and golden in those pics. engine looks nice inside.
Thank you Like i said, i don't know sh!t.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
MikeHardy
The Sirius/Nova Police

see the letters stammped on you pistons, C and D, those correspond to the stock sizing of the cyl bores to match them

C 96.00-96.01mm
D 96.01-96.02mm
E 96.02-96.03mm
G 96.04-96.05mm
1st OS 96.30mm
2nd OS 96.60mm
Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
Wolfie
Board Member

Great Thank you.
Currently mine are; Starting with #1 C/D/C/D
are they surposed to be Diff sizes?
or, is that just to alow for inprefections in the casting/manucatoring of the block?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #15
MikeHardy
The Sirius/Nova Police

thats exactly why they have them. when the bore and hone the block they measure the bores and choose the correct piston for the the clearance needed, usually you'll see mostly C's and D's as there closest to what it should be, and volvo were pretty good at doing there job
Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
Wolfie
Board Member

My Current new pistons are 96.61's so i'm thinking, the cylinders should be fine...
Is Mahle a good brand?

Last edited by Wolfie; 10-02-2007 at 06:12 PM..
Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Wolfie
Board Member

Default Blueprint and balance

do you think it would be worth having the engine blueprinted and balanced? honistly, i'm not Real clear on the details of this. so if some one wants to fill me in, also, how much dose that normaly cost?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #18
suterman
Board Member

They supply pistons to Volvo.
suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #19
MrDoug
"Forty-threee dollars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
do you think it would be worth having the engine blueprinted and balanced?
For performance & a smoother revving engine- I'd say its worth it, if you can find a competent machine shop that won't charge an arm & a leg. You can balance the pistons & rods yourself if you have a small scale- you weigh all 4 pistons seperately, set aside the lightest one & remove material from inside the other 3 untill they all weigh the same- repeat the process for the rods.The crankshaft has to be balanced by machine, you can also get your flywheel & pressure plate balanced together- the sky's the limit on engine builds
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
socalsean
back in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
You can balance the pistons & rods yourself if you have a small scale-
Pistons, yes. Rods, that's a different story. You need a fixture to balance the big ends and small ends.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #21
Wolfie
Board Member

so, for the rods and the crank i should have the shop do it?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #22
suterman
Board Member

if you can afford it, take along all the bottom parts, rods, crank, pplate and flywheel. while they have it in the shop ask them to check the wear on the crank bearings, its a good idea to have them grind it down to the first undersize so when you fit new (undersize) bearings it be like a new fit.

I hear that the pistons are normally ok for balance, but you can check them too.
suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #23
Wolfie
Board Member

Exclamation Help!!! i need the engine specs

The Shop Called today because there book dosent go up to a 95 940T engine
any body know where i can find the green books for this particular engine i thought all the b230FT's were the same but he wants piston clearances and valve clearances, and Every thing! can any one hook me up FAST?

Another thing, they said i'll need new "aux" shaft bearings
aswell as main and rod bearings, WTF is the "aux shaft"

Thanks, Gary

Last edited by Wolfie; 10-15-2007 at 04:28 PM..
Old 10-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #24
Flyingbrick90
Board Member

Go to a volvo dealership and ask real nice and they may hook you up... I know I had one hook me up. BTW, how much has the rebuild cost you so far... I'm thinking of doing something similar, but want to know how much to set aside first!... thanks
Flyingbrick90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #25
Wolfie
Board Member

my "local" dealer is some thing like 100+ miles each way

I'd be More than happy to give you an itemised cost, as soon as i get all the recipts togather

No luck so far Bunch of jerks Except one!
and they are going to get back to me...

Any Body know if the Green book specs for a 7XX b230ft are the same for a 9XX both are b230ft
But the 95 has squirters and 13 MM rods ECT

Last edited by Wolfie; 10-15-2007 at 05:08 PM..