home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #76
llama
Board Member

i really like the oil filter relocation. so easy to access. why'd you move it? too hard to get to with the manifold and turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m46destroyer View Post
Fuel distributor, may God have mercy on your soul.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #77
Bob
Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethellama View Post
i really like the oil filter relocation. so easy to access. why'd you move it? too hard to get to with the manifold and turbo?
I actually copied another build, Aaron's 1982 242. I like the idea of feeding the turbo with oil that has just been filtered. Also, the placement there will allow me to eventually plumb my RX-7 oil cooler easily, which will fit right above the intercooler.

Oh, and the braided stainless line and fittings look sweet I'm using a VDO temp sender in the unused inlet.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #78
Jordan
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Oh, and the braided stainless line and fittings look sweet I'm using a VDO temp sender in the unused inlet.
Don't they though?! I love stainless lines. Dresses up any build. Spendy though. I only have turbo oil and water lines, and fuel lines in stainless but I spent probably 500 bucks on that stuff.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #79
Bob
Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Don't they though?! I love stainless lines. Dresses up any build. Spendy though.
Yea, I've also learned to stick with one brand of line/hose end. I tried to mix and match Earl's perform-o-flex line with generic Summit brand hose ends (just for the -4 oil feed) and the hose ends didn't want to fit over the line during assembly (without causing fraying). Once I bought Earl's fittings everything went together much better. Maybe it was just me, but the Earl's line seemed to like Earl's fittings much better.

For now I'm using rubber lines for fuel, but eventually want to do the fuel system in stainless.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #80
Jordan
Board Member

Quote:
Yea, I've also learned to stick with one brand of line/hose end. I tried to mix and match Earl's perform-o-flex line with generic Summit brand hose ends (just for the -4 oil feed) and the hose ends didn't want to fit over the line during assembly (without causing fraying). Once I bought Earl's fittings everything went together much better. Maybe it was just me, but the Earl's line seemed to like Earl's fittings much better.

For now I'm using rubber lines for fuel, but eventually want to do the fuel system in stainless.
Personally I like Aeroquip. I haven't had a lick of issue with em. We have a local shop called Williams Oil Filter Service Company that has all that stuff on the shelf. Convinient but spendy.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #81
shaved240
Board Member

i never understood why dave barton plummed the brake lines to the front distro block either. I put front and rear on one side of the block and front and rear on the right side of the block. Then i blocked the other holes that i didn't use.

and for the rear distro block i just made a bracket with two holes. one that bolts to that stud where the old distro block or whatever was mounted, then the other one mounted to the distro block
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD

on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungledorifuto View Post
ship me that m46 for 40 bucks and im game
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #82
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Bob, engine is looking great! You've gotta do something about that ratty looking intake manifold though, at least bead blast it
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #83
Bob
Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
You've gotta do something about that ratty looking intake manifold though, at least bead blast it
Ha, I know. I'm kind of neglecting aesthetics on the intake side of the engine right now in the interest of getting it running. In time (as in this summer ) I will make that stuff really clean too. I also want to clean up the brake booster and MC at some point, and relocate the fuel filter when I do the Walbro conversion.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #84
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

I posterered in showroom, but no responses. What is that oil filter thinger? who makes it and where did you get it?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #85
Bob
Away

The oil filter remote kit is made by Canton Racing. It's available directly from Canton, or from Summit, etc.

Got my intercooler piping today! It's a universal 2.5" kit from eBay. Pretty simple installation, even with the location of the intercooler. Plus I should have room on the right side to come off the turbo with 4" pipe and place the air filter behind the headlight. Also, the battery is clearly going in the trunk (the box was removed).

Tonight I'm going to figure out placement of the BOV flange, IAT bung and IAC nipple. Tomorrow I'll bring the pipes to my friend's shop and we'll TIG those bits on.

Now to run the remaining oil lines! Alex, the more new stuff I put in the engine bay, the worse that intake manifold is looking

Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #86
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Piping looks really good! How's the quality of the piping/connectors/clamps? I was thinking about buying this exact kit for my car but was worried about that. What thickness is the tubing?

A set of silicone rad hoses would be a nice match I think -- like so:

Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #87
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

My exhaust is made from chinese intercooler piping.

It's about 16ga and plenty good for intercooler piping.

Using it for exhaust piping is, ah, slightly more demanding.
And, it seems ok so far!

-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #88
Jordan
Board Member

Cameron, I got the kit as well. Plenty thick for welding. The clamps and silicone is good stuff
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #89
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Score! Looks like I'll be ordering that then -- thanks for the input guys.

Also, I just double looked at where your battery tray used to be -- looks like a good job on cleaning that up after it was cut off. I'll say it again -- I am soooooo envious of that paint job
Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #90
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Bob, just a heads up. You'll definitely want to clamp down that oil feed hose somehow. If you don't I guarantee you it will rub through the paint on the strut tower.
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #91
Bob
Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
How's the quality of the piping/connectors/clamps? I was thinking about buying this exact kit for my car but was worried about that. What thickness is the tubing?
Seems like pretty good stuff, it came from CXRacing (just-intercoolers) on eBay. It's advertised as 2mm thick. I don't have a super accurate caliper, but here's a cross section where I cut it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
Bob, just a heads up. You'll definitely want to clamp down that oil feed hose somehow. If you don't I guarantee you it will rub through the paint on the strut tower.
Yep, I'll use one of the metal clamps with rubber in the center (I have a pile of them ) and attach it to the strut tower. It's also pretty close to the header and I'll want to keep it off the runner.

Question for all: where is the best place to get a wastegate signal? I didn't plan on tapping the compressor housing, so I was thinking off the hot side intercooler pipe. That would make a nice short path as well to the Tial.

Last edited by Bob; 05-11-2009 at 09:26 PM..
Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #92
RvolvoR
Board Member

adele's....i use them on everything at work....wiring...hoses...yadda...theyre kinda spendy though....for a clamp...
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #93
Karl Buchka
Board Member

Quote:
Question for all: where is the best place to get a wastegate signal? I didn't plan on tapping the compressor housing, so I was thinking off the hot side intercooler pipe. That would make a nice short path as well to the Tial.
Tapping off the intake manifold will give you more stable boost than from the compressor housing/hotside ic pipe, but at the cost of building boost slightly slower. Going off the compressor housing will make it build faster, but you'll be more prone to spiking.

These differences are all pretty academic though. Personally, I would run it off the intake manifold, but the other side of the engine would make for a cleaner install.

Edit: The car is looking ****ing great btw. I'd love to see it some time this summer.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #94
Bob
Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Buchka View Post
Personally, I would run it off the intake manifold, but the other side of the engine would make for a cleaner install.

Edit: The car is looking ****ing great btw. I'd love to see it some time this summer.
Awesome, thank you. I would love to bring the car down your direction later in the summer. It's funny, I've been trying to convince my parents to do an August family vacation in Cape Cod, because we used to go there every summer for a week when we were kids. It's been like 12 years.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #95
Karl Buchka
Board Member

You should absolutely come down. I'm off exit 9 in Dennis.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #96
pwschuh
Rolling...

Quote:
I used one of the silicon "taps" from ATP. It goes through the silicon hose wall and locks down with a nut. Doesn't leak and lets you put a boost reference anywhere you have a hose. If you don't want to tap the compressor you can use this on the hose on the compressor outlet.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #97
The Redeemer
Board Member

Wow! And I thought white cars were boring! Very nice.
The Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #98
pat244ti

Looks awesome!!!!

I give this project two bub rub's

Make that three
83 244ti - road race
79 262c - road race in the works
08 c30 T5 - daily recce car - M66, Lifted 1.5'', 215/65/16 Falken All Terrains on Method MR502's, iPD skid plate
97 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4
70 Ford F100 2WD 351M/C6
pat244ti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #99
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Intercooler exposure. I really don't want to hack the front bumper up (the cover is NOS), so I might work on a duct system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
cut...holes...center...bumper...
Quote:
I won't be bothering with a front plate on this car.
I was thinking about your car this afternoon and thought I'd contribute my thoughts on this -- like you care

Anyway, as much as chopping up a nice new bumper seems like a horrible idea I actually think when done well it looks cool too! For example:

Just a thought.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #100
Bob
Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
Just a thought.
It's a good thought That is the look I would go for if I was to cut into the bumper.

What I was thinking though would be in install two rectangular brake ducts beside the opening in the lower air dam. So one would replace the tow hook cover, and the other would go on the driver's side of the car. I would "point" air in the direction of the intercooler with them. I have a few extra valances that I can use to mock up. The ducts would look something like this, I think:

I have some more fun looking progress -10AN oil lines run to the remote filter and I got my flanges and bungs welded onto the cold side IC piping. I did some research on IAT placement and read all about heat soak, and I'm going to try it placed midway up the cold side pipe. What I like about this placement is that fresh air should reach it through the grille. Without the stock oil cooler (or NA airbox) there, a fairly clear path is left to the IAT. Honestly, I have no idea if this would help keep temps on the sensor more accurate, but I can't see how it would hurt.

I'm out of town all weekend for family/graduation stuff, so I won't make any more progress until next week.