home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #126
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

Everything looks absolutely freakin perfect. Fantastic job Bob! The wiring and MS control panel turned out sweet! As well as, like, everything else too.
The Aspirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #127
maxman142001
I like turtles

Bob,
What cam are you running?

-2011 VW GTi
maxman142001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #128
Bob
Away

Thanks guys It ran today for 20-30 minutes and idled well. It runs pretty rich though.

I checked all over for leaks and found only one, in the spare port of the Canton remote oil filter mount where I put a VDO temp sensor. I used teflon tape, but maybe not enough. Easy enough fix with the mount right on the fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman142001 View Post
What cam are you running?
Right now it's just a stock T cam in a stock head. I have a new IPD Turbo cam waiting, but I want the car running reliably so I can break it in properly. Then the 531 head will go on, then I'll probably want a bigger cam, etc, etc..
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #129
24DinCT
Don Juan De La Nooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
drumroll...
it runs.
YESSSSSS!!!!
soon to come...videos of said 242 gettin sidewayz!!!
Originally Posted by blackbrick82 View Post
It's all about the beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
how come everytime i in the kitchen, you in the kitchen, in the god damn refridgerator
Buy my partz...here
Feedback...here
24DinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 PM   #130
Bob
Away

Huh, here's something I haven't seen in 10 months: an empty garage.

Wonder why that is? Oh yea, because the car moved under its own power for the first time in 467 days.

Took a little road trip to the Magic Hat brewery (0.4 miles from my house).

Lots more to come soon. The plan is to get the car mostly back together in the month of August and get a reasonable tune in it. Then do some real boost tuning in September and hit the dyno in October before it goes away for the winter.

Stay tuned
Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #131
spruill244
Mahalos

oh my that is so SEXY!
95' 850R-Sold
83' 244T-Sold
96' 850R- Sold
spruill244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #132
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

Woweee!!! Have you thought about painting the B-pillar white? Not the door or window, but that little bit between the two. Sometimes that looks really good painted body color. And I hate to be nitpicky, I know you just got it together and are probably ecstatic, but I'd like to make a few suggestions. With the IC that low, speed holes in the bumper could be pretty sweet. Lovin the body colored front spoiler! Do you plan to lower it some more? I've got those same wheels and I'm about an inch lower in the back and 1-2" in the front compared to you car, and it looks perfect. And eeeew tan leather 240 seats, my '83 came with those too and they've always made me gag, so I switched to charcoal 850 leather seats and am much happier.

Once again GREAT work.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #133
Tanglefoot
Ham fisted idiot

Love the photo at the brewery. Great work!
When I'm in working in my garage, I feel like I'm a Rembrandt, or Picasso, working in my element making beautiful things. Then I visit a Buchka thread and realize that I'm a retarded 4-year old attacking a piece of construction paper with finger paints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Go commando on both fronts.
Problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
If you are going to be stupid, might as well be completely stupid.
Tanglefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #134
Gene_GaTech
Round Fender Spender?

looks rockin! Congrats!
Current:
87 FJ60 | 02 M3
Past:
90 740T (R) | 89 760Ti | 70 1800e | 67 122s | 02 MX-5 SE
Gene_GaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #135
24DinCT
Don Juan De La Nooch

out of the garage!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #136
Turbo Jim
Board Member

I wasn't sure about the white when I first saw this car, but seeing it all together it looks amazing. Awesome work!

'96 Toyota MR2 T-Bar
Turbo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #137
tjanson
Board Member

Very nice, Bob. I'm sure it feels good! The car looks great.
tjanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #138
Bob
Away

Thanks everyone. Definitely feels good to get behind the wheel again. Today I drove it for the first time on the real road, just a couple miles to put some fresh gas in it. I think the junkyard Denso alternator I have in there is dying, since I had to ask the guy at the gas station in the Honda Element to jump start me

No boost yet, although I can tell with that big exhaust that the motor breathes well. The car has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aspirator View Post
Woweee!!! Have you thought about painting the B-pillar white? Not the door or window, but that little bit between the two. Sometimes that looks really good painted body color. And I hate to be nitpicky, I know you just got it together and are probably ecstatic, but I'd like to make a few suggestions. With the IC that low, speed holes in the bumper could be pretty sweet. Lovin the body colored front spoiler! Do you plan to lower it some more? I've got those same wheels and I'm about an inch lower in the back and 1-2" in the front compared to you car, and it looks perfect. And eeeew tan leather 240 seats, my '83 came with those too and they've always made me gag, so I switched to charcoal 850 leather seats and am much happier.

Once again GREAT work.
Thanks I'm planning to address pretty much everything you mention. It will be lower for sure, and I have an entire black 242 interior (minus the seats) that will replace the tan stuff. I'm looking for some nice black Recaros or something similar for the front seats. Then I might just dye the rear seat (the leather is really nice) or find a black rear seat. My goal is to keep the interior very functional, which will also help dampen the noise from the exhaust. The car is pretty loud, as I expected

As for the IC, speed holes have been considered, as well as some sort of ducting in the front spoiler. I hadn't thought about painting the B-pillars white, but I bet it would look cool. I was actually planning to go the opposite route and get all of the windows re-tinted at maybe 35%. The rears were done in 1987 and just look like old tint. Then I would want to keep the unbroken black in the window area. But that isn't a priority this year - maybe next spring.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #139
The Aspirator
It's a girl!

Awesometastic
Old 08-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #140
Bob
Away

No big updates this weekend. The car is still running well and starting easily. I'm dealing with charging issues now - I've had a few alternators in and now have a new Advance Auto unit installed. Checked/redid my ground wires both in the trunk and under the hood, including running a 2 gauge wire from the chassis to the engine block (cleaned both points to bare metal). Still only getting the battery voltage at the alternator, so I'm wondering if it's the starter-alternator power wire that I spliced and soldered. I'm going to replace that tomorrow and see if I can get it to charge.

It's always like this - all the work to get it running, and then some dumb easy issue causes problems.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #141
Bob
Away

I fixed the charging issue this morning. Sometimes I just need to use my brain and realize that if I'm not getting power to the instrument cluster, then the alternator exciter wire is probably not getting power either. Somewhere in my mad frenzy of underdash wiring I made an error and didn't ensure power was going to the instrument cluster. A quick jumper wire from terminal 13 on the fuse box and everything is working again, including my dash lights, gas gauge and engine temp gauge.

So with the car running at 14 volts this morning I took it for a test drive around the block. Couldn't resist any longer, so gave it some gas in second gear and got into boost. Probably 2-3 psi was all, but enough to make my Tial BOV make some noise. The turbo whine is pretty sweet too. Now that I don't have to charge the battery every time I start the car I can get into some real tuning.

Finally, picked up a T5 out of an '89 Mustang 5.0 last night. Should be getting the driveshaft and shifter later this week. It's not pretty, but it wasn't expensive. Don't know if the T5 will happen this year, but as soon as I get the driveshaft all I need is an sdturbo/YoshiFab adaptor and I'll have everything to do the conversion.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #142
24DinCT
Don Juan De La Nooch

Don't touch the car with that tranny...yet! Drive it this summer as it is and enjoy it...get all the kinks worked out...do some tuning and then over the winter swap that T-5 in. This way it's ready for next season on the very first nice day to do some T-5 tuning.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #143
Bob
Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24DinCT View Post
Don't touch the car with that tranny...yet! Drive it this summer as it is and enjoy it...get all the kinks worked out...do some tuning and then over the winter swap that T-5 in. This way it's ready for next season on the very first nice day to do some T-5 tuning.
That's probably about right. Really I only have a few months left until the snow flies, and then the car's inside until April/May. Plus I only have a handful of free weekends remaining through October. I still want to get it on the dyno this year though
Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #144
pwschuh
Rolling...

Very nice. Congrats on getting your car on the road.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #145
Bob
Away

Thanks. I drove it for about 30 minutes this evening and it felt good. I've got the idle pretty smooth right around 1000 rpm, and it doesn't dip down or struggle in traffic which is nice. My brother is headed to town this weekend so progress may be limited, but I should get some time on Sunday to work on it. I'm loving it so far
Old 08-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #146
Bob
Away

Car is back at the body shop for some final touches. Should have it back on Thursday or Friday. Going to lock myself in the garage again this weekend and have another big progress session. The guys at the body shop gave me some "genuine BMW" heat shield that didn't fit a customer's car properly. They strongly recommended covering the inside of the hood on top of the header. I should probably do something on the right strut tower too.

Got pulled over on the way to the body shop for no front plate and expired inspection. The VT State Trooper seemed more amused by the car than anything else. He let me off with a written warning, then told me all about the Oldsmobile that he restored

I guess I'll have to figure out a front plate for the car. I was thinking something off to the side that bolts directly to the bottom of the bumper and hangs in front of the lower valance. That way I can easily remove it for taking photos, and it won't directly contact the paintwork.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #147
FunkyStankyChicken
Rad Panda

Oldsmobile, lol.
‘88 325is
‘84 533i
‘79 242
FunkyStankyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #148
Bob
Away

I just got the car back from the body shop on Wednesday. They fixed a couple spots on the hood and buffed the entire car. Paint looks even better than before. Anyway, I need a NOS or really really nice used piece of black door trim for the passenger side. I have a used one that I'm going to clean up and try, but if someone can find me a NOS one I'd be eternally grateful! Volvo lists it as NLA. The part number is 1247168.

I want this side:

To look like this side:
Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #149
24DinCT
Don Juan De La Nooch

Bob's updates=win
Old 09-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #150
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dinct View Post