home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #3151
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Had to clear out some other stuff to get back on my own projects. Got the hx-52 off, the 7875 won't fit (interferes with the front wastegate.. same as the hx-52, so... time to change things up a bit), so I went ahead and yanked the exhaust manifold for re-fitting as well. Haven't had a chance to get back out to the shop after that, perhaps tomorrow since it looks like we're getting forced into a day of vaykay.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #3152
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Well that was a bust. If I had to run the turbo, I'd figure it out, but for the sake of experimentation, it was going to be too much work. Even after moving the front wastegate around (twice, because stupid) it was very much in the way of the return line, and the way turbonetics sets up that turbo, you can only clock it like every ~60 degrees, so it was either point straight at the gate port, or waaay off at an angle.

It did give me a chance to move the front gate around though so compressor housing clearance shouldn't be an issue anymore, I braced the gate ports, so hopefully they won't crack anymore (at least, not from the gates hanging off of them), fixed a crack on the rear port that was invisible until the turbine housing was removed. If I have time tonight I reckon I'll put it all together, retune for 30psi on the holset and see if I can fix the sluggish launch. That may or may not take place this weekend, kinda depends.

no pictures, I did my usual poor job of documenting things in the heat of combat (and I didn't have much time to do work, so photos took a distant back seat to actual work :-/ )

Hope everyone else had a great xmas/holiday. My girls did.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #3153
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Got the car back together, need to check trans fluid levels and shifter linkage, it was doing some strange stuff on the short drive I did yesterday (wouldn't go down to 1, so I'm thinking it's more linkage related. didn't seem to be slipping. but then, I haven't messed with the linkage in a long time, so it shouldn't have changed).

Pulled fuel out at higher loads and lower rpms (on the street it'll make close to 2bar well before 5000 rpms in 3rd), went from being sluggish and fairly predictable below 6k to spinning tires around 5k. To be fair, it was wet, but it was wet both ways. Pending transmission issue resolution, it's close to being ready to hit the track again when it opens.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:54 AM   #3154
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

Rad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #3155
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

transmission fix was easy. turns out there was (and is once more) a lock nut that holds the shifter position switch lever - it's the best I can come up with - to the hurst shifter, it rattled off after a decade and fell down underneath the assembly and blocked it from going into low. fished it out, put it back on, good to go.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #3156
klr142
Turbo, what?

Nice! Easy indeed. So, when do the tracks open back up for you? Haha
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #3157
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

would be this weekend, but weather is bad
Old 01-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #3158
justjim
Board Member

Lame. Street driving should be interesting!
justjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #3159
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

pumped out the old e85 (actually didn't seem to be too bad, maybe I got everything sealed up well this time) and put in 10 gallons of fresh stuff, and set to play with it. had problems with the car behaving on the roller from the outset, felt like the straps weren't on correctly, re-positioned those (never had to do that, should've been clue number 1), pulls were odd even for this car, seemed like it was "hanging" randomly during pulls..

turns out it was hazing the driver's rear tire the whole time. pile o rubber on the dyno behind it. not enough for like a full burnout where I would've smelled it.. I had hold on start ticked on to get better infos and thought perhaps that was causing some strange behavior.
the absence of rubber behind the passenger tire seems fairly convincing as well. will check later and see what happened. I guess I should've really noticed when it didn't seem so.... difficult... to turn around on the gravel ahead of the session. lol
Old 03-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #3160
boosted12a
weapon of mass detonation

Ach, zo, ze wuhannflu broke ze diff?
10 335xi, (fun has a price), black
17 expedition El, (short bus), black
85 RX-7 GSL SE(efi'ed), BLACK
76 Suzuki RE5, BLACK
boosted12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #3161
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

nah twisted an axle off more than likely. been a long time since that's happened lol
Old 03-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #3162
boosted12a
weapon of mass detonation

Oh snap!
boosted12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:16 AM   #3163
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

oh wow. thought I'd had an update or two since this. Ok, so it didn't break an axle, near as I can tell what it was doing with regards to the rubber coming off the tire was due to not being centered on the roller (only thing I can come up with honestly). transmission was a little low on fluid, and I put more load on it and forgot I'd bought a 5500 stall converter (See much earlier in the thread), so.. it may have been just doing what it does. Since then I added fluid, drove the car around, and it's seemingly no worse for the wear. I also discovered recently that the rear wastegate tube was trying to fall off of the header (Great.)..

finally got around to mostly fixing that last night:
https://youtu.be/bSB4-dc2Vcg

since the shop cleanup is going reasonably well, I may be able to drop a couple plugs for the ol tig around the building here soon, and finish up the repair from underneath without taking the manifold off (That's a chore). Eventually I'll have to, but for right now.. it should be fine. I'll sneak it back on the roller in the next couple of days... gotta work in some play time with all the other **** I do.