home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #26
g3mccotter
Board Member

I don't know how the twin tips vibrant would look or work coming out of the back of a hole in the skirt that is 3" designed for one pipe. I could get a 3" straight through vibrant I might try, I think I wanna hear it straight piped before I put another muffler on though. So much sound deadening in these things its crazy.
g3mccotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
CaliMeatWagon
Cause of Head Scratching

Cheapest way to go about it. Cut out the resonator, go to Auto zone, get a straight section (18'' long), couple clamps, and some JB Weld.
You would be surprised on how quiet the resonator makes the car.

My Daily/Nightly Livestream (0700-1200 UTC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguels244 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME II View Post
You quite often believe that you are the smartest man in the room, don't you?
I almost always am the smartest man in the room.
That’s a fact.
CaliMeatWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
grnmachine02
Indicating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMeatwagon View Post
Cheapest way to go about it. Cut out the resonator, go to Auto zone, get a straight section (18'' long), couple clamps, and some JB Weld.
He isn't looking for loud. If he was he would just stay open down pipe.

Rage boner achieved.
grnmachine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #29
500dollar744ti
still rides with MrDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMeatwagon View Post
there's two kinds of cheap, first there's cheap, and then there's too cheap. that's too cheap.

1989 Volvo 744T- 16v turbo, '94 FD-block, RSI pistons/rods, GT35R, Tial 38mm, RFL, MSnS-E, DSM spark, 100lb Delphis, 4.6 springs, Bondo header, Heebspeed intake, Q45 90mm TB, Bosch 044 FP, 12x24x3 ebayIC, w/c t5, Clutchnet 4puck/PP, 4.10 G80, IPD sways, 960 brakes.
1998 Volvo S70 T5m- Stock, 229k
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ- Stock, 154k
1983 Ford F150- '89 5.0 H.O, C6/4x4, F+R LSD 4.10, 7" lift, 35s.
1990 Cobia San Marino 225 ECS- MCM 350 Mag, GM Bowtie Intake, HR-Titan 19p.
500dollar744ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #30
g3mccotter
Board Member

No I can have it welded up. I dont mind it quite loud, probably a little bit less noise than open downpipe. I will just cut the muffler out and see if I like it straight 3" all the way back, if not I might try a different muffler like a vibrant.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #31
Cruxxy
Board Member

im just using standart pipes cut off behind midd muffler bend the pipe so it faces the ground and finished. got a great sound especialy on the track
Cruxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #32
YellowT5-r
Board Member

This may sound like a weird question, but are you looking for a better sound for yourself, or outside the car? I ask because all performance aside, so much of what you hear inside the cabin isn't the exhaust at all, but the intake tract noise. Just remember: If you want them to enjoy the sound of your car, work on your exhaust, if you want to enjoy the sound of your car, concentrate on your intake tract, (adding a cylinder makes a Volvo motor sing) This exhaust...3" end-to-end with 1 race cat, 1 16 inch glasspack (I was totally amazed that this was still working 10 years after it was installed), and 1 straight through Magnaflow followed by a reproduction of the factory "S" bend to help control in-cabin resonance in a wagon.

Outside, my car sounds nifty enough, kinda like a Group B Audi that's gone through puberty and learned some table manners...

Inside, however, you can hear Eric's beautiful header get after the job and make all 4 inches of intake work!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #33
volvero
Board Member

What about these?:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=48

and this is only for NA engines (too much backpressure for turbo app.)

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=41

PV544 '61 (B20, R cam, twin Solex C.45 DDH carbs, FI head, electronic ignition, 122 disc brakes, IPD front swaybar)

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...=1#post4398485
volvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #34
g3mccotter
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowT5-r View Post
This may sound like a weird question, but are you looking for a better sound for yourself, or outside the car? I ask because all performance aside, so much of what you hear inside the cabin isn't the exhaust at all, but the intake tract noise. Just remember: If you want them to enjoy the sound of your car, work on your exhaust, if you want to enjoy the sound of your car, concentrate on your intake tract, (adding a cylinder makes a Volvo motor sing) This exhaust...3" end-to-end with 1 race cat, 1 16 inch glasspack (I was totally amazed that this was still working 10 years after it was installed), and 1 straight through Magnaflow followed by a reproduction of the factory "S" bend to help control in-cabin resonance in a wagon.

Outside, my car sounds nifty enough, kinda like a Group B Audi that's gone through puberty and learned some table manners...

Inside, however, you can hear Eric's beautiful header get after the job and make all 4 inches of intake work!

That sounds sick... Ha sounds good inside and out. I think I might like the sound of a resonator better than a muffler, maybe I will try that. I know I loved the way mt gtx sounded with just a resonator and that was on a 2" turboback.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #35
wade454ss
Board Member

Just had my 89 n/a wagon done in 2" straight with borla muffler at the rear of the car. Very nice sound almost like a XKE jag under accerl. Idles mean and heavy for a Volvo now with a slight hint of that flowmaster pinging sound. Feels like it also released a few more horses and with these cars every one of those phillies counts. Wish I had done this sooner. Very nice upgrade.
wade454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #36
plavin1991
Board Member

Glass
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #37
BoostBilly

I would advise against glass pack mufflers, I'm running a thrush on my 745 and it gets far too much attention from the local constabulary. You can't really go wrong with a flowmaster IMO.

Boost, Beer, Banjos

"Come on dude, you're afraid to race a Volvo?"
BoostBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #38
Shel155

I can't believe how mellow some of these magnaflow's sound, I put one on a 7 series BMW and it sounded like I was running an uncapped header, apparently there are vast differences between the models.
Shel155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #39
OMG_its_A_volvo
Board Member

I've had 2.5" and a cherry bomb for 2 years now. The redneck'd folk love it..
OMG_its_A_volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #40
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Hopefully Smokey chimes in with what he's got. His system is NICE and not too loud from inside the car. I think most of the reason it's so nice is because of who he had install it.
AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #41
cosbySweater
Board Member

3 inch turbo back, dummy cat no mufflers

3inch turbo back, dummy cat, magnaflow 14inch resonator

complete the exhaust system all the way out the back, no stupid side exit and you'll be stoked at how little muffler you actually need
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #42
wagonfetish
extarordinaíre

Nobody mentioned SpinTech yet?
I'd suggest this one: 6000-pro-street-series

Brickspeed.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
... but when you're short fat and ugly, your mom dresses you funny, and you're living in the 'rent's basement buying a 245 can give you hope.
wagonfetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #43
iwannadrive
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falunbrick View Post

complete the exhaust system all the way out the back, no stupid side exit and you'll be stoked at how little muffler you actually need
that sounds awesome. makes me think about replacing my glasspack with a section of 3" straight pipe.

I have a glasspack on a 3" straight-through side-exit, but I would definitely do a full-length if I were to do it again. The extra length of a full length system seems to smooth out the exhaust pulses a bit, making it sound less... erm, agricultural than something like a side-exit. at least that's how I see it. My glasspacked 3" sounds nice at idle, but other than that it's nothing special - IMO at least.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #44
Dauntless
The Brapmaster™

Quote:

What turbo did you have when that video was taken?
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #45
cosbySweater
Board Member

i was running a chinabay, 57trim, now the engine has a holset HE341cw with a 4inch downpipe
Old 06-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #46
Bob
Away

http://www.burnsstainless.com/sm-300-450-17.aspx
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #47
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel155 View Post
I can't believe how mellow some of these magnaflow's sound, I put one on a 7 series BMW and it sounded like I was running an uncapped header, apparently there are vast differences between the models.
last time I checked, a 7 series didn't come with a turbo (older ones) ...no comparison between an n/a and turbo car when it comes to mufflers...
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #48
g3mccotter
Board Member

Quote:

Definitely like the straight piped sound. But when I finally throw my he 341 on I will be running a 4" dp as well and then I might want a resonator like yours or maybe even a muffler. What does your sound like now with the 4" dp?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #49
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3mccotter View Post
Definitely like the straight piped sound. But when I finally throw my he 341 on I will be running a 4" dp as well and then I might want a resonator like yours or maybe even a muffler. What does your sound like now with the 4" dp?
i dunno ill go make a video!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #50
cosbySweater
Board Member

here you go