home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #226
volvowagoon
Board Member

Same here!

I'm still wowed by your execution of the AC, and the fact that you were able to cram it in there with that massive engine! Nice work. That car must be a dream to drive.

1986 Buick Grand National - The show car
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The fun car
2010 C30 T5 - My daily
1989 245 DL - Girlfriend's daily

IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #227
aidanahunter
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvin View Post
I continue to love this thread more and more. Great work with everything you've done so far.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvowagoon View Post
Same here!

I'm still wowed by your execution of the AC, and the fact that you were able to cram it in there with that massive engine! Nice work. That car must be a dream to drive.
Thanks! I'm wowed by it too...lol. It is still working great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacrazyasian View Post
Now its time to supercharge it!

I contemplated dropping a 4.6 32V out of an aviator into my 940 when i did my swap. But i had a rolled explorer with some SBF go fast parts, built trans, etc.

I put 100K in 2 years on that V8 swap and 50K of it turbocharged. I should have never sold the car. Yours looks good. I told myself i was not going to V8 swap the new 940 i just got. This makes me wanna pull the trigger. Then again its all TESTPOINT's fault. I followed his swap thread first!
Unfortunately I don't think I'll be supercharging it. I'm satisfied with the current power level and that would be disposable income I'd rather put elsewhere. Definitely an "easy" thing to do with these engines though. Oh, and yeah, swap your new 940

I also want to recognize Testpoint again for his build and how he documented it. Definitely motivated me to make this happen, along with the guy from Iceland who built his over 10 years ago now.

That's a lot of miles! I'm working on doing the same thing. Despite the pandemic, my wife and I took a risk and drove the Volvo out west to visit my brother in San Francisco. We stopped in Colorado and Utah along the way and got some great car pictures. Total miles for the trip was about 4700. Time for an oil change!

Here it is near the top of Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, the highest elevation continuous highway in the country.

We checked out Antelope Island outside of Salt Lake City. I highly recommend it. Absolutely incredible views in a very unique landscape.

This one I wasn't expecting. I was very excited to take I80 through the salt flats, but I didn't know that there's a rest stop along the way with an entrance to the flats. Lots of other people had their cars out there and were just hanging out. I didn't go fast or do any drifting on the flats, but it was an amazing thing to experience especially as the sun set.

Of course, it wouldn't be a project car road trip from the midwest to the bay area without getting a picture in front of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The only problem the car had on the entire trip was a brief cooling issue. On the very last hill of the drive before our hotel on the way back, the engine temperature shot up to about 235°F. Long story short, I realized the radiator fan was not running. I jiggled the power connector to the fan and it roared back to life and the issue never came back. Other than that, flawless. A/C did very well in the hot desert sun.

4.6 32V 240 Wagon
aidanahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #228
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Great pics of a great road trip!

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #229
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacrazyasian View Post
Now its time to supercharge it!

I contemplated dropping a 4.6 32V out of an aviator into my 940 when i did my swap. But i had a rolled explorer with some SBF go fast parts, built trans, etc.

I put 100K in 2 years on that V8 swap and 50K of it turbocharged. I should have never sold the car. Yours looks good. I told myself i was not going to V8 swap the new 940 i just got. This makes me wanna pull the trigger. Then again its all TESTPOINT's fault. I followed his swap thread first!
I say, do whatever makes you happy! It is your car afterall.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #230
white855T
Board Member

Awesome trip Aidan! I bet it was smooth sailing with that V8.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #231
aidanahunter
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
Awesome trip Aidan! I bet it was smooth sailing with that V8.
Thanks, and also thanks for the trailer hitch! That installation will be the next project.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:42 AM   #232
TurboDutch
Board Member

Nice pics dude! Like those wheels too!
TurboDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #233
aidanahunter
Board Member

Thanks!

I have a question related to my steering rack. This car had its steering rack replaced in 2015, 55,000 miles ago, with a unit from rockauto (Atsco 8983). It appears the rack's input shaft has developed some play in it. Does anyone know if this can be fixed easily or am I looking at a new rack? Here's a video of what I'm seeing:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EGMA8jWYnQmEGYT16

Last edited by aidanahunter; 07-18-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Old 07-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #234
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Excellent update, glad to see it's serving road trip duties well. I hope to be doing this sometime in the next decade with mine

Bonneville is an amazing place - that's rad that you were able to experience the salt. Homer was there recently too and said it was super hard packed and didn't stick to his undercarriage at all (or the car's...) but when I was last there in 2013 it was sticky and got all over everything.

Hope you enjoyed our great state even though we're all gonna die soon, seemingly.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote