home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #176
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Well I'm back at the interior at the moment finishing up everything I neglected back in September to get it to the VCOA meet. Had to stop at this point because I ran out of deadening material and had to order up another case. By the time I'm done I'll have added about 80lbs of new material through out the flooring of the car. Gladly willing to give up some agility for comfort. At 2400 pounds stock this wasn't exactly a sprinter of its era anyhow and with approximately a third more power then it had originally the only thing I'm even slightly concerned about is adequate braking at speed.

1966 Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #177
jmc0369
Board Member

Exceptional work. I have a hard time tryig to keep the lust for a 122 at bay; and then I go and stumble on threads like this. All of it is wonderful.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; only ourselves can free our minds" - you know who!

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Jidu Krishnamurti
jmc0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #178
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0369 View Post
Exceptional work. I have a hard time tryig to keep the lust for a 122 at bay; and then I go and stumble on threads like this. All of it is wonderful.
Get one already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #179
jmc0369
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Get one already!
Unfortunately purchases that large have to go throught the treasurer.
jmc0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #180
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. They really are great cars. This is coming from someone who owned a few air-cooled beetles prior to Volvo ownership. I just think of them as a more reliable beetle that is a bit more user friendly. It's also nice that the Amazons haven't appreciated to the moon yet and still have great support with both parts and community.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #181
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

While I let the glue dry on all the carpet padding I revised my front lighting situation. I'll get around to wiring it eventually, but I'm digging the new arrangement. The old 5 inch Hella driving lights I used to have will get mounted to my VW Golf, because rally light all the things!

Old 03-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #182
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Finished up all the interior odds and ends this weekend. I've been working on the interior floor coverings for the past few weeks a little at a time in the evenings. It was my first time installing any sort of carpet kit and it was a learning experience. First lesson was I should have done all of this before installing the heater box and and pedal cluster but I worked around it. I got it to fit ok, still not 100 percent satisfied but it's good enough. I used the pre made kit from VP Autoparts as well as a special ordered tunnel piece from them for an 1800 since I used a trans tunnel from one of those vehicles, essentially a hybrid of two kits.

I'm glad I had extra material from the second unused tunnel piece as with all pre made kits they are made to fit exactly with very little overlap in coverage and I ended up with some gaps to fill. My biggest lesson was to cut down the pre cut jute about 10% dimensionally before gluing to the carpet backing as the out side edges of the carpet would not lay properly otherwise. I opted to not glue the carpet to the floors for easy cleaning and removal if the carpet were to ever get wet. I see very little issue with this as all the carpeting is very restricted from sliding due various obstructions and pinch points. There were a few spots where the kit fit very loose and I built these areas up with extra jute material from my local upholstery shop. I went back and stapled jute to the bottom and back of the rear seat plywood for additional sound dampening as well.

In the front quarter kick panels I glued quarter inch thick water resistant insulation foam as backing to the cardboard panels as I did with the trunk lid liner for additional noise suppression, as this area is responsible for quite a bit of road noise, especially on gravel roads (when I coated the wheel wells last year I gave this area two additional coatings as well). Instead of using the factory insulation kit on the upper firewall behind the dash I used a combination of butyl and waterproof insulating foam sheet as the factory kit from VP was nearly impossible to install with the pedal cluster and heater box/valve in place (I had also sealed the dozen or so holes previously used to secure this kit with rubber plugs and sealant as when these fail it creates multiple sources of intrusion into the cabin).

Old 03-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #183
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

I always wondered if the 1800 tunnel carpet would fit in a 122. I've gone over this several times in my brain. I'm glad someone has actually done it, and it is possible. Looks good nice work
Old 03-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #184
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Wonderful.

I did DynaMat under the carpet and a fiberglass pad under the hood. She is improved, but being a wagon, still not quiet. I've been talking with a few retailers about products that may help reduce the low frequencies. Seems that there is a lot to reducing noise.

@PDXvolvo on IG
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #185
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJr. View Post
I always wondered if the 1800 tunnel carpet would fit in a 122. I've gone over this several times in my brain. I'm glad someone has actually done it, and it is possible. Looks good nice work
The floors are extremely similar, especially when tunnel is swapped in.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #186
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Wonderful.

I did DynaMat under the carpet and a fiberglass pad under the hood. She is improved, but being a wagon, still not quiet. I've been talking with a few retailers about products that may help reduce the low frequencies. Seems that there is a lot to reducing noise.
Thanks. The wagon is a much larger speaker box in shape then a coupe with much more expansive sheet metal. Ideally lining the roof while the headliner is out makes a significant improvement.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #187
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Well last night I took it out for a drive for the first time in well over a month to evaluate my recent work. The change in cabin noise is SIGNIFICANT and I haven't even lined the doors yet. The first test was driving down the gravel driveway where it normally sounded like a barrage of BB's being shot at the under side of the car, I could only hear the largest of stones hitting the wheel well and those were just thuds. Once out on the open road the car was eerily insulated, the engine sounded far away, road noise and exhaust was just a whisper. It was quiet enough in the cabin that I heard rattles that I didn't even know I had. I can say with confidence that it was worth it, long trips should now be quite enjoyable... now on to repairing the overdrive.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #188
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Woot! Chicks dig quiet Volvo's.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #189
FrankBooth
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
... now on to repairing the overdrive.
I'll be interested to hear how this goes. I'm dealing with a similar issue.
FrankBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #190
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Old 03-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #191
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Reflections and puddle jumping.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:41 AM   #192
Chevyboy8

Hello I'm new to the volvo world and would like to know what wheel set up is the gold wheels you had thanks cool ride.
Chevyboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #193
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyboy8 View Post
Hello I'm new to the volvo world and would like to know what wheel set up is the gold wheels you had thanks cool ride.
Hey thanks! The gold wheels are factory wheels that have been cut and banded. 2 inches were added to the outside lip making the wheels approximately 6 to 7 inches in width. By doing this the wheels have retained factory backspacing. I typically run 205/60/15 tires on these wheels.

The American Racing Torq Thrust originals are nearly identical in spec but have a slightly more favorable offset so more rim is inboard of the car using the same width rim and tire.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #194
sspony
Board Member

I guess I need to put a reasonable exhaust on my 122 so I can hear if the sound deadening actually did anything for me haha. Great work on yours!

65' 122s (weekend cruiser) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=308197
67' 122s (Rallyx racer)
82' 242 dl
83' 242 glt (v8 turbo swap project)
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #195
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspony View Post
I guess I need to put a reasonable exhaust on my 122 so I can hear if the sound deadening actually did anything for me haha. Great work on yours!
Thanks! Laying sound deadening is a tedious job (and not kind on the knees, I eventually sprung for good quality knee pads).

Road and mechanical noise was actually a bigger concern for me. The Simon's sport exhaust is very well engineered with virtually no drone, a high quality product!
Old 04-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #196
Oerski
Board Member

Quote:
Unfortunately purchases that large have to go throught the treasurer.
Thatís the hardest thing for some of us huh 🤔 ah to be single again lol
Oerski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #197
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerski View Post
Thatís the hardest thing for some of us huh 🤔 ah to be single again lol
The guys and myself were having this discussion today at the shop. I am one of those that has an automotive slush fund separate from family finances. Say I sell a car or parts or I do side work for a friend, that goes into my slush fund. Anything I make on the clock goes to family savings. Occasionally, I dip into my slush fund to bankroll gifts or family vacations as well. I'm a firm believer is being allowed to set aside money for personal hobbies and interests but it's usually something that needs to be discussed before marriage and not after
Old 04-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #198
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

A shameless plug here, but I made it into IPD's photo contest, if you have a minute to spare head over there and throw a vote my way please

https://www.ipdusa.com/
Old 04-19-2020, 01:51 AM   #199
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

So stoked to have an operational overdrive again. If you want to read about my overdrive saga as well as some good reference head over to the maintenance forum.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #200
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
So stoked to have an operational overdrive again. If you want to read about my overdrive saga as well as some good reference head over to the maintenance forum.
I'll head over and check that out. My m41 is leaking oil everywhere. Its in the car but I've not tested the OD yet. Once I confirm its functionality I need to pull and reseal it.

Also, you got my vote at IPD, good luck!
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote