home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #51
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Boat will be receiving a 1" extended kaplhenke front coilover set, but I had to check some important parameters first. Most notably, how much angular displacement do I have left in the ball joint, and will it bottom out at full droop with the extended strut housings?

Here's my investigation:

The ball joint has a maximum angular displacement of 35 degrees relative to the normal of the control arm plane.

With stock suspension at full droop, I measured the control arm to be 17 degrees to horizontal, and measured the ball joint to be at 25 degrees of angular displacement from the normal projection of the control arm plane.

I also measured the control arm to be roughly 12.5" from pivot point to ball joint center.

So, neglecting changes in strut angle (max 3 degrees added camber?), we can calculate the new control arm angle from a 1" increase in strut length:

sin^-1[((12.5*sin(17 deg))+1)/12.5] = 21.8 degrees.

So I can expect a maximum of 5 degrees increase (21.8-17) in control arm angle from extending the strut housing 1".
If I set a front negative camber of -3 degrees, I should still be in the clear, but barely. I doubt I'll need that much camber to compensate for the positive camber shift of raising the front 1"

Previous:
'73 1800es - "Sunny"
'92 940T
'98 S70 T5
'99 S70 GLT

Last edited by IansPlatinum; 05-18-2020 at 02:41 PM..
IansPlatinum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #52
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Not much new with boat, other than a few road trips and new alternator.

Ditched the denso for a bosch 100a. Much better charging at idle now. Had to use longer belts though.

Here're some photos I never posted from the OHV park

Old 06-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #53
white855T
Board Member

Good pictures. Great idea on ditching the Denso(they are all junk, I don't why people keep recommending them).
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #54
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
Good pictures. Great idea on ditching the Denso(they are all junk, I don't why people keep recommending them).
Thanks.

Yeah my denso stopped charging at idle when hot.

The bosch is bulkier but has been delivering consistently in the 13.5V range when hot idling & all electronics on.

I think people probably recommend the denso because they never get 105*+ F days where they are. My denso worked fine in sub-90F weather, but that isn't going to cut it for about a third of the year in TX
Old 06-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #55
brickcupra
Board Member

Default alternator

Hi, Have you considered a chevy alternator?
they are dime a dozen and they push 105 amps and 14,5 volts. I used the one from a chevy Savana in my project and it worked fine until i crossed a wire with the fan and blew the regulator. So I went or a bigger one that I think it pushes 140 amps.
They are almost like yours

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MpUAA...Bjg/s-l300.jpg

http://www.vlvautoparts.com/vlvautop...ts/51.3193.jpg

Maybe the pulley might work and you can run plenty of power from them.
Good luck and Godspeed in your project
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:46 PM   #56
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcupra View Post
Hi, Have you considered a chevy alternator?
they are dime a dozen and they push 105 amps and 14,5 volts. I used the one from a chevy Savana in my project and it worked fine until i crossed a wire with the fan and blew the regulator. So I went or a bigger one that I think it pushes 140 amps.
They are almost like yours

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MpUAA...Bjg/s-l300.jpg

http://www.vlvautoparts.com/vlvautop...ts/51.3193.jpg

Maybe the pulley might work and you can run plenty of power from them.
Good luck and Godspeed in your project
DZ
When the bosch goes, I'll check this out. Thanks for the tip
Old 07-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #57
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Did a small but necessary roadtrip mod for the 240: left elbow pad

The stock armrest is very hard & not very nice to the ulnar nerve on long road trips.

I cut a secton of foam from an old 850 seat cushion, and cut up some vinyl from my old 240 seat cover.

Comfy and doeasn't look too out of place. The command strips I used to adhere it lasted a whole 12 hours though. Need to find a heat resistant adhesion method

Old 07-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #58
Estateman
K-Jet or Bust

Really elegant looking solution. I need to do something similar but on the windowsill of my wagon. I’m used to having a thicker width door card which is where I generally rest my elbow so something like this would be a great benefit to me on the upper sill location.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #59
volvowagoon
Board Member

That's a really nice idea there. We don't even have a center armrest for ours. A place to put my elbows during any longer drive would be nice. Good work!

1986 Buick Grand National - The show car
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The fun car
2010 C30 T5 - My daily
1989 245 DL - Girlfriend's daily

IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #60
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvowagoon View Post
That's a really nice idea there. We don't even have a center armrest for ours. A place to put my elbows during any longer drive would be nice. Good work!
Neither did I until today.

I present, road trip necessity #2:

Old 07-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #61
volvowagoon
Board Member

That's worth it for the cup holder alone. Nice score.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #62
IansPlatinum
Board Member

More OHV park this weekend. This time with extra spring boosters in the front and 20" eibach springs in the rear

New height:

I'm so happy with this articulation. Ben's sphericals & johnny joint torque rods make it so easy. Rear bar delete is essential for this kind of stuff. Still comfy on the road though.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #63
kyote
Living The Dream

Wow Ian!
Extreme articulation!
Running the LLV Mail truck 195/75R15 Wranglers?
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #64
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyote View Post
Wow Ian!
Extreme articulation!
For a Volvo

Quote:
Running the LLV Mail truck 195/75R15 Wranglers?
195/75R14
Yes sir! Expensive little bastards
I got them from someone who bought them at government auction, so half price for me.
As the LLV gets phased out though, they'll probably stop being produced
Gotta grab a spare set to hoard. I love them. Surprisingly quiet on the highway, super deep tread, and the 5th wheel spare still fits in the OE spare tire compartment.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #65
volvowagoon
Board Member

You continue to amaze! That looks extremely capable. Judging by the rest of this thread, I'm able to take your word for it's street manners as well.

I took Moose camping over the weekend as well. I really want to steal your canopy idea. lol
Old 07-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #66
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
For a Volvo

195/75R14
Yes sir! Expensive little bastards
I got them from someone who bought them at government auction, so half price for me.
As the LLV gets phased out though, they'll probably stop being produced
Gotta grab a spare set to hoard. I love them. Surprisingly quiet on the highway, super deep tread, and the 5th wheel spare still fits in the OE spare tire compartment.
I used to run them, the set I had were recaps, and one separated as recaps do...
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #67
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvowagoon View Post
You continue to amaze! That looks extremely capable. Judging by the rest of this thread, I'm able to take your word for it's street manners as well.

I took Moose camping over the weekend as well. I really want to steal your canopy idea. lol
Thanks. You should, the canopy is a perfect addition to the camping brick. 8.2' x 8.2' ARB canopy. About $300 new.

Quote:
I used to run them, the set I had were recaps, and one separated as recaps do...
Glad I didn't go with the recaps. That was the conclusion that my research led to, that they would probably separate.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #68
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Video of the shenanigans:

It's pretty tame stuff for the most part... not trying to thrash my car. I was also avoiding the water because they said some of the areas were deep, and I didn't want to have to summon anyone to pull me out, due to COVID & all...

Overall, I'm just impressed that a little swedish station wagon can be so capable, all things considered
Old 07-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #69
tjanson
Board Member

Any plans for the rear valence? On a '89 245 I used to have, I deleted it and the attached rubber mudflaps (cut out of truck flaps) to the fender lip itself. I put a bit of color matched tape over the hole left in the butt cheek area. Looked alright. I'm thinking of doing something similar again, but using black matte vinyl to wrap the area where the valence was, or filling the hole and painting the area black or grey to match the lower door cladding.

Too bad those tires are so expensive, I want a set... Your's look real good with those steelies.
tjanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #70
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
Any plans for the rear valence? On a '89 245 I used to have, I deleted it and the attached rubber mudflaps (cut out of truck flaps) to the fender lip itself. I put a bit of color matched tape over the hole left in the butt cheek area. Looked alright. I'm thinking of doing something similar again, but using black matte vinyl to wrap the area where the valence was, or filling the hole and painting the area black or grey to match the lower door cladding.
I like the rear valence. I do want to scuff & paint it with some SEM exterior trim paint though. The faded grey is getting old.

I am considering custom mudflaps though. The volvo ones are pretty tiny. Love the way they look. I had a similar thought about a universal mudflap kit, & cut to fit. I'd probably still mount them in the stock location though.

As for the exposed rear fender lip that is normally covered by the plastic mud guard, I'm thinking about putting a black vinyl wrap just on the little section, to protect it & to aesthetically blend it better.

Now the front valence, I have been day dreaming a bit about rework. I'm not sure what it needs. But it is scraping at the OHV park, so that needs to be addressed. I don't like the look of the car without it though. I'm considering buying a spare and maybe cutting away the lower 2" that extends forward... just to experiment. Maybe it'll look good, maybe hideous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
Too bad those tires are so expensive, I want a set... Your's look real good with those steelies.
Gracias. Check your local FB marketplace / craigslist. I know there's a guy selling used ones in Houston for $120 a set. Maybe you'll stumble across a similar deal. They have ridiculously deep tread (for a tire that would be put on a volvo). something like 17/32" new. So used ones are typically still grippy & capable
Old 07-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #71
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Today i'm tackling some engine bay rust. Nothing too extensive luckily (Thank you, Texas), but needs to be dealt with regardless. I've known since the time I bought the car that a PO had a battery explode and spew caustic acid in the engine bay, stripping the paint in many places under the battery tray. That, and for some reason (maybe related to front end collision in 2009?) there is a bit of rust poking through beneath the hood hinges. Boat will be out of commission for a while while I start this and potentially start tackling some other needed maintenance simultaneously:

-AC system
-transmission swap
-front coilovers

Old 07-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #72
IansPlatinum
Board Member

I got carried away

Old 07-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #73
Estateman
K-Jet or Bust

Constantly raising the bar and doing so effortlessly. I need to come over and we can do the same thing to mine
Estateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:34 PM   #74
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estateman View Post
Constantly raising the bar and doing so effortlessly. I need to come over and we can do the same thing to mine
You are more than welcome!

You can also borrow the shop crane when I'm done, probably won't need it for a bit
Old 07-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #75
volvowagoon
Board Member

OH ****!

I did not see that coming! If you really want to do the engine bay correctly, this is certainly the best way. What transmission are you considering?