home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #26
hiperfauto
The Librarian

They are holding the oil pan to the timing cover.

hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #27
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

I see them now. I guess I didn't look at the pan bolts at all. I should probably drain the oil before I try taking this off, but I don't have a 1" wrench or socket on me. Guess that's on the shopping list.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #28
hiperfauto
The Librarian

You don't need to drain the oil to remove the cover but you'll definitely want to get a wrench to remove the drain plug eventually.

Once the cover is off stuff some paper towels in the opening between the pan and front main bearing cap before scraping the gaskets. You'll probably need to cut the pan gasket flush with the block face and splice in a piece of thick gasket material unless you get lucky and the gasket is re-usable. The other option is to pull the pan and replace the entire gasket.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #29
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
The other option is to pull the pan and replace the entire gasket.
I'll probably end up doing that anyways, I just happen to have a master gasket set and I doubt it's been changed in 40+ years.
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #30
hiperfauto
The Librarian

Don't use the 3 piece gasket that comes in the set. Get the 1 piece gasket from Volvo. It's the same gasket for B18/B20/B21/B23/B230.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #31
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Don't use the 3 piece gasket that comes in the set. Get the 1 piece gasket from Volvo. It's the same gasket for B18/B20/B21/B23/B230.
Mine is a 1-piece. I'm using an elring set.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #32
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Alright, got the timing cover off. One of the lower bolts was broken, so that's fun.

The gears turn out to be steel - I was expecting fiber. I'm still probably going to replace them anyways.
Not sure if I'm looking at this right, but the timing marks don't match up at all. They're 180 degrees offset.

I'm sure I have to get some kind of fancy tool to remove these.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #33
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Not a lot done to the engine since the last post - I've bought a new radiator and timing cover, but I'm still waiting on some special tools to take the timing gears out. Once those show up, I should be able to throw the engine back together pretty fast.

Anyway, I figured now was a good time to try to convert my distributor to breakerless ignition (with a Pertronix unit)

Yeah, I just straight-up bought the wrong kit. I bought one for a cast iron dizzy (this one is), but it's just not for this application. The screws don't line up at all.
At this point I became mildly depressed but quickly decided that now was probably a good time to learn about points (kryptonite to me and probably most other younger enthusiasts).
I whipped out my manual, checked and cleaned up all the contacts and threw it back together feeling at least a little better about myself. I got to learn all about how points function and how to service them, so that'll be useful.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #34
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Been doing more engine work on/off for the last little bit. Getting hung up on parts, mostly because of my own oversights.

In order, then.

Got ready to take the cam out, and it sure took me a while to find the correct 36mm socket at my local hardware stores.

Naturally, the screwdriver was a little bit too much. It was suggested that I use a rag to hold the timing gears. I didn't do that. Instead, this happened.

Broke the gear! Fun times. Fortunately, it being broken almost in half allowed me to turn it over and get at the bolts holding the cam plate on.

Don't forget the oil pump drive...

... and I managed to slide the cam out. I was a little confused, since the cam read 'K' on the side. After posting a little bit and reading some older forum posts, it turned out that the engine in the car isn't a B20B or D as I'd originally thought. It was actually a B20F that someone had converted to carburetion. Neato.
Anyway, I'm a bit too lazy to try and figure out how to get the cam gear and all the hardware off the old cam (I'm swapping a D cam in), so I just ordered a set from CVI. While waiting for that, I started work on the cylinder head.

Pretty much totally disassembling it here so I can take it to a local machine shop and have them put some hardened valve seats in (it'd be nice to be able to run regular unleaded gas), and well as machining for bigger (37mm) exhaust valves.

(You can see my boring VW daily in the background)

I also went ahead and did a light polish job.

So that's all for now. I still need to get some cam hardware, and also modify my gear puller to actually engage the bolts on the crank gear. It's like 1mm off. Some hackery may be required.