home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default 740/940 XC90 T6 brake conversion info/reference

Since I'll be upgrading the brakes on my 7-series to a set of XC90 T6 ones, for which I'll also be designing the brackets, dust shields and e-brake adapters, I created this tread for reference to anyone looking to do the same.

The setup I'll be working with 336mm rotors front, 308mm rotors rear

These are vented both rear and front

The front shown here with the ruler of a total width of 36cm

The rear as well

The fitment with the wheels I'll be running also shown below, these are 17 inch Revolution Motorsport Millenium Rally wheels, with a stepped inside barrel to allow for bigger brakes

Old 01-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #2
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default The front setup

The original bracket from the kit I'll be replacing, its from what I can tell the old version of the l-m-r.se kit. I'll be replacing it since it rotates the caliper upwards, which I dislike due to the weight not being centered on the steering axis as well as the suspension and I will also get rid of the nut behind the bracket, which was pretty hard to access.

I found a new rotation for the caliper I liked (approximately vertical on center taking caster into account, after modifying the old dustcover.

Here are the dimensions on paper based on the center of the hub, for those planning to make these themselves.

Got my new bracket designed and got it printed in PLA for testing.

Clearance looks good, the bracket should also be a bit stronger. Both original caliper bolt holes on the strut were now tapped to M14x2.0 for a simpler setup and install. The original 15mm spacers from the previous kit were used, which I'll be finetuning later, to center the caliper bracket (expecting to go to a 14mm spacer).

Clearance to my 17 inch wheels also looks great.

A little side by side of old versus new, I also checked but not shown here, and as expected the bracket also works for the other side.

Stoked for the preview of my new setup
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
R-Pow3R3d
Master of Disaster

Wow, that's super cool. The work is really impressive. Keep it up!
2007 XC70
R-Pow3R3d
R-Pow3R3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:06 AM   #4
GSWAGON
my other ride is a exmark

nice!
99 SL500 AMG Sport
08 Corvette JSB LS3 6 speed
08 Escalade AWD- wifes daily
15 Ram CCSB Hemi 4wd

Life is short, so live it! You are only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
GSWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
MasterCylinder
What a lovely day!

Do these pads cover the whole rotor or just partially?

'90 745ti '02 WRX Wagon '81 Corolla SR5
Master Cylinder Music
MasterCylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:48 AM   #6
Swedbrick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
Do these pads cover the whole rotor or just partially?
They are the stock xc90 setup, so pads and rotor match for a perfect fit
Old 02-04-2020, 11:26 PM   #7
MasterCylinder
What a lovely day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
They are the stock xc90 setup, so pads and rotor match for a perfect fit
Indeed!

....So when are you gonna sell the brackets?
MasterCylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default Rear setup part 1

Hi, thanks for the positive comments all!

I'll probably orde a couple more by the time I get around to the order since with steel that's usually pretty affordable. So if you want a set by the time I'm done, let me know via a message. Brake lines could probably be adopted from stock, but for the rear a bit of hard-line rework would be required.

Anyway, I continued last week with using my brother's 740 as a test for the fitment. Starting off with the discs:

Those fit so I continued with trying if I could fit the new discs over the old ones to be able to retain the stock handbrake setup, unfortunately machining would be required. So I'll move towards adapting the xc90 setup, which looked about the same except for the diameter

With the new disc back on in checked the caliper fitment

The brake line clears the shock, and should be able to be routed in parallel to the trailing arms, with a bracket and a little shortening of the stock copper lines. I'd rather avoid it, but this looks to be the most suitable solution.

I then went to cad and worked out some bracket ideas, also for my brother's drift setup, since that was part of the deal for stealing his car

When those were fitted on the car I realized my mistake haha, so I'll be sourcing a second rear axle for the prototyping soon, that will also go towards the drift project when I'm done designing, at least the diameters I measured were correct
Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default Axle sourced, rear setup design continues

With a little trip to a local friend, who has plenty of 7/9-series around for Banger racing, I sourced a fresh 1:3.54 open diff axle to be used as a measurement jig. About a weeks worth of coffee and head-scratching later, I came up with these

The hardware was stuff I had laying around, but sufficed for a fitment check. The whole ordeal bolts up to the XC90 rear caliper as shown below.

As for the front, here the dimensions I ended up with for the caliper placement, for those trying to make their own adapters:

And yes the stock caliper spacing is actually exactly 83mm (3 1/4"?), this confused me a bit so I printed an idiot check

This placed the calipers on the disc with about 2mm clearance between the caliper and the disc as desired:

Here shown with me holding the somewhat floppy PLA print, but the dimensions should be perfect.

Ending with the rear view of the setup, wherein it seems that the brackets would clear the axle, but they actually do not, since that ended up requiring too little mounting surface to the stock caliper location, so that is why the design is split.

The center circle on the axle is tapered and could not be used for support, but if the brackets decide to move, the clearance is sufficiently small that the ring can be used for some emergency support under heavy breaking if that makes sense. The two flats in the design are made to have a slight interference, so they can be sanded to a perfect fit.

The next step will be to create fitting dust shields and getting the xc90 e-brake adapted to the 530 axle, I'll be ordering new brake shoes and a spring kit somewhere in the coming weeks, to get the ball rolling
Old 02-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default More rear fitment pictures, now with daylight

Since I was wondering about the fitment within the wheels of the calipers I fitted up the to be used 17x8j et13 wheels for the rear to the axle

Plenty of clearance all the way round, with the discs even looking a bit tiny

The brake line end on the caliper just pokes past the edge of the wheel, and should clear any extra width tires nicely as well

For comparison the dust shield for the stock brakes in the opening

And a little overview of the new setup for fun, those poor axles with the new amount of rubber haha
Old 03-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #11
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default E-brake parts are in

The brake parts arrived yesterday, so I got straight to some measurements on the old dust shield and proceeded to come up with the setup as below

I also ordered a full drum brake spring kit to make the install as legitimate as possible, and was able to reuse the stock spacer fork thing, since the xc90 is a little more complex, which should not be needed. The spacer block had a width of 40mm compared to the 7/9-series stock 33mm so that will have to change, as well as the separator device, going from a minimum width of 45mm -> 58mm.

It's a slightly complicated mechanism to recreate, as I want to retain my standard cable for the sake of maintenance, and would like about 6-8mm of expansion, since the xc90 pads have about 3mm of exterior material available. I've created this little overview below for the explanation of how the mechanism works, with the black cable being connected to the lever in the car.

I left the cover slightly loose in the space to prevent binding with the disc, with this plate being about 4mm thick, the rest of the dust shield will be added in thinner sheet metal, with some dimples/recesses for strength

The setup inverted in the disc for an idea of the fit:p
Old 07-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #12
linkkjm

Any updates on this? Hoe are the front brakes working?
linkkjm is offline   Reply With Quote