home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #26
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

The two that would be useful, and nice to see dome detailed photos of, if you have them, would be:

1. Diff side bearing puller - I bought the one Dave Barton's site mentions and it's touch and go/hit and miss, barely good enough. With some minor diff mods with a grinder it would work reliably though. Wondering what the Volvo one is like

2. 240 lower rear trailing arm bush install/remove tool(s) - easy enough to make, but wondering how the factory one(s) looked

Cheers :-)
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #27
hiperfauto
The Librarian

hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #28
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Thank you very much for that! I think I may actually have seen the diff side bearing tool in another image before, however the trailing arm bushing tool pic is new to me, and welcome :-) Cheers!
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #29
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

On the trailing arm bushing tool. Be aware the bolt and nut is the consumable part and volvo doesn't provide a part number for the bolt like they do for hardware on the car. So measure it up and save the information should you need to replace the bolt. I've had to replace mine a couple times over the years.

Last edited by dl242gt; 07-25-2020 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: add the nut
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #30
G-Tech 940
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
The two that would be useful, and nice to see dome detailed photos of, if you have them, would be:

1. Diff side bearing puller - I bought the one Dave Barton's site mentions and it's touch and go/hit and miss, barely good enough. With some minor diff mods with a grinder it would work reliably though. Wondering what the Volvo one is like

2. 240 lower rear trailing arm bush install/remove tool(s) - easy enough to make, but wondering how the factory one(s) looked
I'm not sure that I have tool number 1, but I do have #2

G-Tech 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #31
G-Tech 940
Board Member

Is anybody able to identify the use for any of these tools? They are not official Volvo except for the first pic, but they are all for Volvos, mostly older stuff I think, B20/P20.

^MOSTLY ENGINE TOOLS (but some suspension)^

^MOSTLY SUSPENSION TOOLS (but some engine)^

Last edited by G-Tech 940; 07-26-2020 at 12:29 PM..
G-Tech 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #32
hiperfauto
The Librarian

The stud with nut that's been brazed at one point are the original parts for the 240 rear trailing arm bushing tool. It's easily damaged if you're not careful and was replaced with a regular bolt.

The two long screws that are tapered at the top are alignment studs for installing the cylinder head. Depending on the threads they're either for push rod or OHC red block engines.

The two long bolts with the cross bars and spark plugs welded on the ends are home made tools for removing the cam cover on whiteblock engines.

hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote