home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
rearwheelpeel
Board Member

Default 242 rear window trim install - help

I took the aluminum trim off of the rear windshield of my 242 to strip the black paint off and polish the aluminum. I was successful with all of that, but now I am really struggling to get this trim back on. This is the 2 section trim with a clip to cover the seams where they join on the top and bottom of the rear glass. The upper part of the molding hooks into the split on the rubber gasket that goes around the whole rear glass. So I have to get all of this trim back in by hooking into the top, bottom, left and right of the rubber gasket. Ive been able to slide the lower trim into the gasket, and then get the lower left and right corners hooked in as well, but from there I canít get the upper part in without bending the trim, witch Iíve already done quite a bit and itís making it harder and harder. Thereís got to be something Iím doing wrong. Does any one have any suggestions?
rearwheelpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
hiperfauto
The Librarian

You need to use a piece of rope (or leather cord) to open the slot in the rubber so that you can get the molding started then use the rope to pull it in.

hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
rearwheelpeel
Board Member

Jeez.... that’s going to be fun. Thanks for the quick reply, there’s no way I would of figured that out.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:54 PM   #4
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Rope a dope.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Take your time and use another person to gently help you hold the trim against the rubber. Not too hard because you want the rope to pull the trim and rubber together but enough to keep it close so it goes in.
1982 242 turbo. 340k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
rearwheelpeel
Board Member

I’m not looking forward to doing this. I think I really bent/twisted this trim up when removing it. I wish I stripped the paint off while it was still attached to the car. The rubber molding was totally packed full of dirt and debris, it must’ve sat under trees for a long time. I guess it’s good I got that all cleared out. I have definitely learned a lot so far. Thanks
Old 07-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Convert to the 90+ all rubber seal.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
johfraser
Board Member

I got blind-sided by this when I painted my '81 242. I had noticed there were gaps at the top corners between the edge of the window opening and the rubber. It looked like the rubber had shrunk. So I removed the glass and rubber before painting to insure the frame was rust free and got painted.

I wanted to insure a leak proof seal so I installed the rubber with GE silicon in the grove and similarly the glass. I was very happy with the fit and seal of both the rubber and glass. I then tried to install the trim and discovered the corner radii of the trim did not match. I was very pissed at Volvo.

So, I said screw the trim, a good seal was way more important. I had the idea that if I really missed the trim I might try some stainless tape.
johfraser is offline   Reply With Quote