• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ac compressor interchangeable?

This interchange should get you close if you're off to a junkyard.

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...sons-everco-a-c-compressor/320643_102126_3515

The Seiko-seki is. I got mine off of a 93 940. It was the first one to come with factory r134a. The inlet and outlet ports on the compressor are angled as opposed to straight up and down, but I was able to get everything attached and working by moving one of the mount brackets on the compressor.

My 92 240 a.c. comp is done. I doubt any other models a.c. compressors are interchangeable. But thought I'd ask. I did see anything specific when I searched

You can grab an ac compressor from 740, 760, 780, 940 models up until 92. It will interchange with no fitment issues.

It was the first one to come with factory r134a.

I don't think the compressor cares if it has 134 or 12 in it. It's all about the seals and the refrigerant properties. R134a does not like mineral oil, so if you have your system flushed make sure you use ester oil instead. Also note the capacity will be different between the two types. If you do a yard swap, pull the whole thing.(from a known good source) This way you know it has the "barrier style" seals. The old systems would leak under higher pressure, especially if you already had a leak.

Best bet? Find the leak, replace broken parts with like parts, refill with R12. As long as the system has not been opened, you shouldn't have to replace too many things or worry about a flush to remove any foreign particles/water that could wreck your compressor or freeze up your system.

If compressor died then it would be a good thing to replace condenser and drier. You can get new condensers cheap and drier are cheap as well. I was browsing and noticed that Duracool has brand new condensers on sale. Thought I would throw that out there if youre thinking about going that route.

IMO refilling with R12 is irresponsible, there's a very good reason R12 was phased out. I've converted 3 740s to R134a and it works very well, all of them with the original Diesel-Kiki compressors which I've heard are not great but zero complaints from me and a full charge worth of refrigerant is like 30 bucks.

Back