• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

GRM 2016 @ Gainseville Sept 30 to Oct 1 [Not Volvo]

FreeEMSFred

GRM 2016 @ Gainesville Sept 30 to Oct 1 [Not Volvo]

For those with an interest in the first half of my username, there *should*[1] be a car running it competing at the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge in Gainesville Florida in about 3 weeks.

I wish I could attend, but it's quite a few hours of flying between here and there.

[1] Given it's currently untuned, unfinished, and 3 weeks from racing, who knows what state it'll be in, so no promises of glorious performance or anything else for that matter. It may not even show up? Though I believe it probably will :-)

Last time someone tried to use this system on a race car, this happened: https://vimeo.com/81936852 though I strongly doubt the little Mazda 4 will sound anything like that, lol.

I said "Not Volvo" however who knows what other competitors are bringing? If you know of any of the competition, especially old Volvos, feel free to post details here. I'm curious :-)

If you do make it down there, talk to Rob about the system, as he runs it on his own personal 2.0 swapped turbo Miata, as well. IIRC his car made 300whp on a dyno with the previous prehistoric link ECU he used to use.

If you're in the general area, allow me to live vicariously through you by going and taking some video :-D

Bouncing off the rev limiter at 7500 RPM, looks like they're in good shape for an appearance :-)

GRM2016-ThrottleMovementWithRevLimiter.png

Update: Today was the race day consisting of autox and drag racing. They made it! And "the car ran well" :-)

In fact, for a stock Miata engine a 14.775 is pretty good! They can't run much better than sixteen in stock trim.

24 hours ago the car left Tampa with a "tune" (who am I kidding, not tuned at all) that consisted of "more or less idles, and sometimes revs cleanly". It arrived at the event at check in time in the same state, got an in-neutral carpark tune, and some iterations while competing. So the drag strip result is a real testament to Rob's skill as a DIY tuner, dialing it in under pressure on the day and on site :-)

Did anyone here end up making it down to watch? Wish I could have gone, looked like a lot of fun! :-)

Final result from drag, autox, concourse, and possibly more: 12th place out of 41 entries! :-) Top 15 or so for autox, drag, and concourse. Being consistently above average pays off :-D

The photo I saw of the listing had them in 11th, but the team owner said 12th, so something must've changed.

A couple of photos:

Ct0BoQgUMAQZ2ib.jpg:large

Ct0DT_2UsAAilQO.jpg:large

Would be good to see a 240 there... running you know what... :-)

Perhaps I can make it over next year?

/thread

Perhaps I can make it over next year?
Success! I'm in Tampa tonight and tomorrow, and in Gainesville tomorrow night, Friday, Saturday, and a bit of Sunday morning.

If anyone wants to talk ECUs or meet a kiwi Volvo nut, feel free to get in touch. I will endeavour to stay on wifi and check this for PMs and/or posts, and will also be watching twitter if you want to PM on FredCookeNZ.

If you spot this thread and know of some Floridian Volvo nutter, send them this way :-)

Sadly not. Last day on the east coast today in Atlanta. Joseph was supposed to pay me a visit, but it was poorly arranged by both of us. Oh well.

Should be seeing a few sweet Volvos on the other side tomorrow morning, though :-)

Then back to my fleet of 5 Volvos on the other side of the pacific, and my wife.

Not sure if I miss her or the 245 more, but I'll take both for a ride ASAP :p

Sweet Volvos are within reach. One of them picked me up from LAX earlier. If you're in SoCal and would like to say Hi, flick a PM my way.

Back