• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone ever replace their carpet?

Dr-MorningWood

I have a 91 245 and the carpet is trashed. Is it easier to clean or should i just replace the carpet? Anyone know whats involved?

Thanks!

If you think there's no chance of it coming clean, then don't waste your time washing them. How bad are they? Can you tell what type of stains you're looking at?

Pull front seat, maybe back lower seat, and the trim that gets in your way, under dash padding, kick panels, door sill trim. Not to hard to replace. You can try removing and then power washing them to see if you can get the stains out.

Easier to replace at some point.
Pressure washing can really weaken it and leave marks in it. You can brush it and wash it and hang it on a fence or something and let it drip in the sun, dries fairly quickly. pretty easy to remove and replace.

The ear DL carpet in 1989 and earlier 245s isn't easy to clean. The GL 'plush' rear carpet is much more durable and easier to clean.

240 carpet is really well made. Just find/buy some in better shape if yours has big holes/burns/or something really stuck in it.

I should make a video of how to clean the carpets.

Best way to clean it thoroughly with basic tools most everyone has:
1. Remove the carpet. (not as difficult as it sounds, but it's not a 5 minute job either)
2. Vacuum off all the big stuff.
3. Use generous amounts of Castrol Super Clean (or Purple Power since it's cheaper, but not quite as strong) sprayed over any stains or heavily soiled areas to the point where it is visually damp in those areas.
4. Heavily mist entire carpet with Super Clean.
5. Heavily mist entire carpet with water hose.
6. Focus on 1/2 or 1/4 sections at a time and use water, Super Clean and a hand held brush to agitate into a foam. You MUST keep it wet the entire time. This requires misting entire carpet occasionally with water while you work one area. Once you feel you have agitated the entire section thoroughly, continue on until entire carpet is done. Keep carpet wet.
7. Hang the carpet somehow (saw horse/old chair/steep driveway) and thoroughly rinse the carpet until there are no more bubbles and the water that runs off is clear.
8. Look for any areas that are still dirty or stained. Repeat steps 6 and 7 again in that area.
9. If you have a wet/dry shop vac, vacuum as much of the water out of the carpet as you can.
10. Hang carpet where it can dry.
11. After it's dry and you install the carpet back in the car, dry brush and then vacuum it thoroughly and it will soften back up a little more.

The more effort you put into it, the better it will come out.
Rust and red colored stains will not come out. Most black and dark stains will.

Volvo original carpet is very nice and high quality. It fits better than any aftermarket carpet currently offered. So if it is not worn through to the backing, I suggest trying to clean it.

I put mine in one of those jumbo washing machines at the laundromat. Even ran it through the dryer. 37 years of funk disappeared and it held its shape perfectly.

Back