• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SVO 2.3 in a 142

MickeyMoose

I have an SVO engine that I was planning to swap into a 4cyl mustang that I have. The car is very rusty and I’m kind of losing interest in the swap do to the poor condition of the car. I recently purchased a 1969 142 that’s an automatic and is in really good shape. I was looking into converting it to manual trans because I can’t stand automatic. I started looking on eBay for all the parts needed and I started thinking...would it be possible to swap the 2.3 into the Volvo? Am I crazy? I started reading about the similarities between the two engines but googled the swap and nothing comes up. I know a lot of SVO guys do the Volvo head swap. Looking for opinions on this swap. Should I just piece together the parts for a manual trans swap or should I get crazy?

The path of least resistance and expense would be to source an M40 or M41.

The answer to the rest of your question depends on your desires, abilities, workspace, and ultimately your budget for said swap.

the 2.3 sounds like a good swap provided you have all the parts. I was surprised how many options that exist for that engine. I would go that way if you are mechanically inclined. I did an m41 swap, and I would recommend getting a parts car. I spent a year tracking down all the parts individually.

I have all the harnesses and the computer for the SVO. I think I?m just going the m40 route. I don?t want to lose the simplicity of the Volvo. Maybe one day😄

I have all the harnesses and the computer for the SVO. I think I?m just going the m40 route. I don?t want to lose the simplicity of the Volvo. Maybe one day😄

I would lean toward the 2.3 Ford. 300 HP is easy to get out of one of those while still having a very reliable engine. Also, they get 31 mpg in a SVO/Turbocoupe body with the T5 transmission behind them. A 142 isn't anywhere near as aerodynamic, therefore, take 2-4 miles per gallon off of that figure. Something to think about. A B20 with M40 is not going to impress you. I had a 1971 142 with the B20F and M40 back in 1979 when it was a fairly new car. I loved it, except, the fact it was so under powered. Top speed on it was a whopping 91 mph with it floored on a level highway. It only got on the order of 20-22 mpg as well.

I would lean toward the 2.3 Ford. 300 HP is easy to get out of one of those while still having a very reliable engine. Also, they get 31 mpg in a SVO/Turbocoupe body with the T5 transmission behind them. A 142 isn't anywhere near as aerodynamic, therefore, take 2-4 miles per gallon off of that figure. Something to think about. A B20 with M40 is not going to impress you. I had a 1971 142 with the B20F and M40 back in 1979 when it was a fairly new car. I loved it, except, the fact it was so under powered. Top speed on it was a whopping 91 mph with it floored on a level highway. It only got on the order of 20-22 mpg as well.

Front sump / rear sump, flat tunnel, 430 gears, EFI fuel tank?

There's a few dots to connect here for this swap.

There seems to be a better aftermarket for that engine, too. Based on my one Google search, of course.

But yeah, throw that thing in there. 140s are way more fun with two or three times the power they came with.

On the Sweedspeed forum, about 3 - 4 years ago, there was a thread covering the installation of the turbo version of the Lima engine in an 1800. That thread may provide some usable information.

There seems to be a better aftermarket for that engine, too. Based on my one Google search, of course.

But yeah, throw that thing in there. 140s are way more fun with two or three times the power they came with.

There is much better aftermarket support for the 2.3 Ford and a T-5 bolts right up to one. No expensive adapter required. Stock, it will have 2X the power of the B20.

Back