• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Squeal On M47 After Clutch Job

jackasquires

Hello everyone!

Over the weekend I did a bunch of work to my 1989 240 DL. Work included replacement of clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and pressure plate. I also replaced my rear shocks with Koni sports and put lowered IPD sport springs in the rear. (Didn't do the front yet as this is my only car and I had to have it ready for my commute work) However after all that I am now getting a squealing sound coming from what seems like the transmission or the right side of the dash. It happens mostly at low speeds and when the car is turning. It sounds like a squealing accessory belt but all my accessory belts are doing fine. I changed ATF in the transmission while it was out, and I sanded down the flywheel a bit to get it gripping better.

The car also runs a bit louder in general. While it shifts smoothly and much better than before, it is very loud at higher RPMs. This may be a side effect of the stiffer suspension but It seems almost like the exhaust or driveshaft is rubbing on something.

I worry that I may have put the flywheel on at a different rotation than i took it off. However the car runs great despite all the noise.

Just wondering if anyone may have some new insight in to what may be going on, Thanks!

Check your motor mounts. If the engine is shifting around a lot. That can make the clutch chirp when taking off. Did you put a new mount on the trans? This may have put the trans up a bit higher so now the exhaust behind the cat is hitting the support for the driveshaft.

Also what is the clutch free play? Too tight and it can slip and chirp as well.

Back