• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Horny Wiper Syndrome (745)

moustacio

Hi all,

I have a 1988 745 that has developed a horny wiper. I.E. When I go to honk the horn, I get no horn and my tailgate wiper decides to wipe. I've researched the problem and have gone through a few ways to fix, but am coming up short.

So far I've:

-Set the air bag aside and made sure everything is ok behind the steering wheel and slip ring. I recently got my horns working by securing the ground for the horns in there. But now I'm back to no horns.

-Pulled both the front and rear wiper relays one at a time and still get no horn

-also recently cleaned every ground in the car and engine bay

Found this on brickboard:
"Another thing about the 740's that causes grounding trouble is that the bolts that anchor the steering column to the dash board structure become slightly loose, so that you don't have a reliable chassis ground"

Could this possibly be my problem? Any other suggestions on what/where to look?
I'll be checking for continuity soon but thought I would ask in case I'm missing something.

Thanks for any help

Confirmed continuity form the horn button(s) (depressed) to the ground wire connection at the horn itself. Still no beep

When I had a wiper problem I fixed it by tightening the ground connectors inside the front fenders.

Got my horns working. It was very loose bolts connecting the steering column to the dash, from Brickboard below:

"Another thing about the 740's that causes grounding trouble is that the bolts that anchor the steering column to the dash board structure become slightly loose, so that you don't have a reliable chassis ground. They are snap head bolts that when torqued in the factory the heads were made to snap off. I'm told they were used as an anti-theft measure. If you remove the knee bolster, you can access the bolts to drill them and remove them with an easy-out, then replace them with standard hex head bolts"

I tightened them up with my fingers as there is no bolt head.

Question for y'all: Do these bolts have any safety feature to them? I.e. they snap in a collision or something? Or am I fine replacing them with normal bolts with a hexagonal head?

Thanks for any input.

Back