home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-07-2022, 07:35 AM   #51
threewagons
i am the liquor

Yeah, even when mig welding the general rule of thumb is to remove any modules or ground straps within 18-36 inches of where you're welding. And disconnect the battery of course.
threewagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #52
v8volvoman1
Board Member

Very nice build. Sounds like a few lessons learned were had after the engine let go.

Feedback page: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=61124
v8volvoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #53
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
I never really liked the look of the coffin hood cars, so I sourced a flat-hood conversion and some quad-rounds
The car will look great when you're done, with all the nice touches you're adding - the headlights, I think it's funny how everyone wants the flat hood/round light setup - those look like more of an afterthought of how to deal with the US regs than the quad Wagner bulbs ever will - all that black void around the bulbs...

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:59 PM   #54
kcpaz
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
The car will look great when you're done, with all the nice touches you're adding - the headlights, I think it's funny how everyone wants the flat hood/round light setup - those look like more of an afterthought of how to deal with the US regs than the quad Wagner bulbs ever will - all that black void around the bulbs...
For me, it has to do with the fact that I’ve always loved the front end styling of the E30 BMW’s, and the flat hood/quad-round set up is like Volvo’s version to me.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:27 AM   #55
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
Not a fan of single round. I love both double square and round. The round e-code lamps are better for sure especially if you add a relay. Its like having modern headlights.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:18 PM   #56
kcpaz
Board Member

Had a randomly warm day today, so I started stripping the paint. Chemical strippers did absolutely nothing to the OEM paint, so I'm abrasive stripping everything. Found a few hidden dents under some body filler but nothing terrible. As I suspected based on the paint checking, the car was resprayed at some point from the belt molding up. Not wanting to risk any adverse reactions between the original paint and new top coat, I decided bare metal was the way to go.

Still a long way to go, but this was a good start. Need to remove the rest of the glass, door handles/locks, wipers, bumpers....
Old 02-20-2022, 09:30 PM   #57
threewagons
i am the liquor

I'd definitely epoxy prime it when you're done stripping
Old 02-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #58
kcpaz
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threewagons View Post
I'd definitely epoxy prime it when you're done stripping
Was planning on an etch primer prior to starting on the body work.... but I haven't worked in the restoration industry for almost 15 years so my knowledge is probably outdated. A quick google search turns up mixed opinions. Some say use it prior to epoxy, some say don't. In the past I've used DuPont 2450S epoxy primer, which is supposed to be a DTM primer, but I've always "hedged my bets" by starting with an etch (DuPont 615S)

Last edited by kcpaz; 02-20-2022 at 10:28 PM..
Old 02-20-2022, 10:31 PM   #59
threewagons
i am the liquor

I'd strongly encourage you to use epoxy, it's the closest thing you can get to e-coat. Etch-prime is old school, the chemicals are nasty, and it doesn't actually seal the metal. It's more for adhesion than corrosion protection.

2k epoxy has excellent adhesion and excellent corrosion resistance. You don't seem like you're skimping on quality stuff, but you get what you pay for with automotive coatings.

PPG has a nice restoration guide here https://ppgrefinish-na.uberflip.com/...guide-2018/41?
Old 02-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #60
kcpaz
Board Member

Quote:
I'd strongly encourage you to use epoxy, it's the closest thing you can get to e-coat. Etch-prime is old school, the chemicals are nasty, and it doesn't actually seal the metal. It's more for adhesion than corrosion protection.

2k epoxy has excellent adhesion and excellent corrosion resistance. You don't seem like you're skimping on quality stuff, but you get what you pay for with automotive coatings.

PPG has a nice restoration guide here https://ppgrefinish-na.uberflip.com/...guide-2018/41?
After doing some quick research and consulting with some of my friends who are still in the business, it seems that you are correct. Thanks for the heads up. Based on what my friends said, I’ll also be switching to PPG as you suggest.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #61
threewagons
i am the liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
After doing some quick research and consulting with some of my friends who are still in the business, it seems that you are correct. Thanks for the heads up. Based on what my friends said, I’ll also be switching to PPG as you suggest.
I'm partial to PPG products as well but all of the big names have good paint systems. Just choose one and stick with it from primer to clear coat.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:54 PM   #62
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

what did you use to cut the paint back? Just a DA?
Old 02-24-2022, 07:01 PM   #63
threewagons
i am the liquor

it looks like a 3 inch grinder with a scrotchbrite disc
Old 02-24-2022, 09:49 PM   #64
kcpaz
Board Member

Quote:
it looks like a 3 inch grinder with a scrotchbrite disc
4.5" stripping disc. Think 3M Clean&Clean on an angle grinder. Obviously you have to be very careful regarding heat, pressure, and movement.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:15 PM   #65
threewagons
i am the liquor

For sure, even stripping with a da can warp metal if you're not careful.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:50 PM   #66
kcpaz
Board Member

I've been wanting to do, but avoiding task of the "buttcheek" delete on this car for a while, but I need to get things in primer, so I need to get the metal work finished ASAP. Pretty straight forward process, other than the battery mounts that I had previously welded in on the passenger side. Required some annoying cutting and grinding in a very tight spot, but I'm glad that it's done. I have been going back and forth about shaving the drip rails on this car, but I think I've decided to keep them in the name of keeping the vintage look of the car. Maybe I'll change my mind last minute....

Otherwise, Lots more grinding, paint stripping and sanding. My list of rubber and plastic items that need to be replaced keeps growing. I'm thankful for a rust free car, but the soft parts are going to nickel and dime me to death.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:41 PM   #67
Texas240
Prius Owner

Curious to see how this butt cheek removal turns out as I just picked up a 79 242 GT that needs a full restoration.

79 242GT 2016 LT, Mustang II front end, 2001 C5 Rear assembly
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #68
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I don't like the butt cheek removal but understand why people do it. Nice work though.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #69
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Prime showcase of all the skills I wish I had, but don't.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:32 PM   #70
kcpaz
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
I don't like the butt cheek removal but understand why people do it. Nice work though.
The left one was rusted where the spare tire was contacting the sheet metal, and since this car will never carry a spare tire in the trunk again, I have no motivation to retain the bulges. I know some people like the look, and some people don't. I personally think the butt cheeks are ugly and look like an afterthought, but to each his own. On my 242GT, I'll probably leave them when I finally do the restoration, but I have more interest in keeping that car original in appearance that I do this car.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:34 PM   #71
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I hear ya, I have a hard time giving up the storage room though. Can fit all kinds of stuff in those.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:44 PM   #72
kcpaz
Board Member

Quote:
I hear ya, I have a hard time giving up the storage room though. Can fit all kinds of stuff in those.
I totally understand that. On the random grocery shopping trip, I used to put a gallon of milk or laundry detergent in this spot. For this car though, I think it's safe to say I threw trunk utility out the window when I mounted a battery, surge tank, and flex fuel sensor back there.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:50 PM   #73
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I put the surge tank in the original battery location. I do plan on putting the battery and a ton of stereo gear back there though so I'll want every square inch I can save haha.

Like I said, nice work! Interesting to keep the flex fuel feature.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:11 PM   #74
kcpaz
Board Member

Quote:

Like I said, nice work! Interesting to keep the flex fuel feature.
Flex fuel is the best. E85 is/was way cheaper than 91 octane… and the extra 120ish horsepower isn’t bad either 😈
Old 03-18-2022, 10:19 PM   #75
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Hell ya! Too bad I have to drive 45 minutes to buy any.