• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aux shaft bearings

Dirty Rick

Tore down a B230FT to diagnose a noise I presumed was a collapsed piston.

Found the two inner aux shaft bearings showing copper? WTF?

(have not measured pistons, but skirts appear normal and consistent)
Noise sounds like a single loose piston.

Just guessing here....

The 2 inner bearings are _very_ close in diameter. Maybe someone installed them in the wrong locations, and then "machined" both of them in place to get the aux shaft to turn?

(If you get your bearings from hiperfauto, they'll be marked in pen to show the diameters and reduce mis-installs.)

Gads! I hope not! Thanks for the heads-up on the staggered bearing sizes.

I am going to stick the aux shaft in a lathe and see if it is straight.

I'll also put the shaft back in the block and see if it is loose.

I borrowed some mic's to check the piston clearance too.

Last edited:
Aux shaft is OK, as well as the bearings.

Pistons and cylinders measure good, I expected this as there was no witness marks on the skirts.

Looking at the cam and buckets I found this.

VolvoheadF.jpg

VolvoheadR.jpg

It appears someone cut the valve stems to reuse lifter shims and this squished the valve seals. Would that make noise?

Could the buckets be bottoming out? Intake lift 452 exhaust 465, Elgin 262 cam

On top of that I found a pitted lifter shim and it was on a cam lobe that had no marks, I found marks on the back side of a different lobe!
How do you mess up the back side of a lobe?

And why did the cam belt eat the teeth on the blue IPD cam pulley? Apparently not hardened and anodizing just decorative.

Last edited:
It looks like the rubber hushers that are placed on the end of each valve tip need replacing. The shim buckets squeezes them down and reduces clatter and the hushers deteriorate over time.

Cheap hushers are available, but my brother, hiperfauto, won't use them and will only use original Volvo hushers, so I usually have a full set of them in stock.

If your auxiliary shaft bushings are showing copper, I would suggest having them changed and not just because I sell them.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323680

Thanks for the tips, I'll be making an order soon.

Is it normal for the Mahle pistons to have Blown Fuel wrist pins? They are disturbingly heavy!

I stopped using the hushers a while back. They always look like that. I just shim the adjustment at the lowest end of 'normal' that I can. You can hear a little clicking, but nothing major. Hard to hear over the exhaust...

You naturally get some wear on the bucket shims. If they are pitted, I chuck them out. I've reused follower shims for years if they are in good shape and never had an issue. I check to make sure that they aren't dished or worn before putting them in my shim kit for storage.

I was not able to get specs from Elgin as I don't know when the cam was ground.
But I found from .017 to .022" (cold) which means they were all probably out of spec.
I wonder if that was the knoise though it does not seem likely as I found evidence of shinny carbon buildup between the head and piston.
And it was a deeper noise than a lifter click.

Back