• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Driving lights above or below bumper?

benski

Pros/cons for a set of period correct Bosch driving lights with cover, mounted above, or below the bumper? I even like the look of them on a bull bar, not that we have too many kangaroos out here:omg::lol:...I would plan on doing my own bending and welding, unless someone out there in TBrick land knows where to source one ready made:cool:. What do y'all say?:)

HOW TO MOUNT DRIVING LIGHTS:

step one: drill two holes in top of bumper

step two: place driving lights in those holes

step three: wire your damn lights

step four: beer

Below the bumper they are ineffective in deep snow and are more vulnerable to snow banks etc. Above the bumper you get cops bugging you with tape measures and threatening you with inspection orders.

What brand and type?---post piccies..They may be actually worthless to worry about so then its just a style statement..But if they're any good, above.. and with a stay or something to mitigate the bouncing ball effect and to keep the adjustment
...and there are whole encyclopedias argued about aiming..

What brand and type?---post piccies..They may be actually worthless to worry about so then its just a style statement..But if they're any good, above.. and with a stay or something to mitigate the bouncing ball effect and to keep the adjustment
...and there are whole encyclopedias argued about aiming..

Bosch, as stated, and I'll get a model or part number soon.;-) Truth be told, it'd be pretty rare to actually use them very often, but heck, I've got them and I think I'll install them above the bumper. And maybe a "Norwegian sun lamp" (Crab boat deck light) in the back, with it's own 3kw AC genset, for those lifted pickup trucks that tailgate..:omg::nod:

Above. If you mount them below, it reduces their effectiveness, and it makes it difficult to see dips in the road. There's a reason truck drivers mount them up high.

The only lights you want below the bumper are fog lights.

My Forester:
IMAG0780.jpg

My Hilux:
IMAG0464.jpg

Damn Dauntless, nice Yota!

As mentioned, fog's under, driving over. That's why the GT's got the driving lights in the grille, also why my Hella 450's are in the grille on the 140.

Above the front bumper, mounted to some flat stock bent to fit under the grille and bolted to the front apron. You also need adjustable stabilizing rods screwed to the top of the grille or the metal on top of the grille.

Wire the lights to a relay. One wire is ground, one is constant + from the battery with an inline fuse and one is a signal that you take from the high-beam power wire. You can run the signal wire though the interior and wire it though a toggle switch that lets you choose wether or not you want the driving lights to run along with the high-beams or not.

This is how 99% of cars with driving lights are wired in Sweden, a country where half or more of the cars in the upper half of the country run them. Bosch 225 "Big Knicks" are pretty good and period correct.

Thanks to all the responders here so far. I had a pretty good idea what I wanted to do before I asked the question, and it was good to see that I was on the right track, or at least a popular solution...These darn things are ancient, but NIB old stock. I originally bought them to install on a 1970 Datsun 2000 convertible that I had, and never got around to doing it.:oops:

Thanks to all the responders here so far. I had a pretty good idea what I wanted to do before I asked the question, and it was good to see that I was on the right track, or at least a popular solution...These darn things are ancient, but NIB old stock. I originally bought them to install on a 1970 Datsun 2000 convertible that I had, and never got around to doing it.:oops:

Ya never said WHICh Bosch lights they were. They made a bunch such as
Rally 180 commonly known as "Knick" :
72stig1000meren.jpg

If there's room 4 was the norm:
8673_1.JPG

And then there's what followed that, Bosch 225 aka "Stor Knick":
IMG_3119Large.jpg

It gets mighty dark up North, never too much light:
59701-8417aee474b6b55b806fc41ed3c62c21.jpg

I run Hella 4000's. They do a good job if you want real lights.
Slight issue with having to dip many, many KM's out due to oncoming traffic but easy to spot roo's.

Ya never said WHICh Bosch lights they were. They made a bunch such as
Rally 180 commonly known as "Knick" :
72stig1000meren.jpg

If there's room 4 was the norm:
8673_1.JPG

And then there's what followed that, Bosch 225 aka "Stor Knick":
IMG_3119Large.jpg

It gets mighty dark up North, never too much light:
59701-8417aee474b6b55b806fc41ed3c62c21.jpg

I promise I'll get a model or part number out there soon, John. They're rectangular in shape, unlike the Cibie "Oscars" of old... crumb, where's my walker..I didn't think I'd get this old this quick.:omg::nod:

Back