home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #401
240wagonguy
Board Member

I'm going junkyarding this weekend and hopefully finding a s90 to rob stuff from. I'd like a spare ECU anyways incase i brick mine trying to flash it. I'm married to the 960/S90 loom by this point as I replaced the entire disintegrated engine bay harness with the s90 harness. I'm about a day away from patching it to the 740 dash harness and firing this thing up.

Well if thats the case with the speeduino, I'll look into an MS3 kit if I get that far. Depends on what the stock ECU can support.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #402
Broke4speed
Board Member

I've thought of snagging an M4.4 harness from a 5-cyl and just adding wires to it for my setup, but for now, I've got other things to do.

Just finished these :

Yeah, it's not lifting a volvo, but it will be soon. I tested them on my DD just in case anything went catastrophically wrong, lol.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #403
Broke4speed
Board Member

Time to put the lift to work! I'm installing some Boge TurboGas/Sachs Advantage struts up front, and I have to say that whoever decided that the brake lines would have to come off in order to remove the struts deserves a swift kick in the nads. Yes I know you don't have to remove the housings to do the job, but everything under my car is caked in decades of dirt...so cleaning happens at the same time.

The gland nuts that came with the Sachs Advantage cartridges don't fit at all (coarse thread), but my stockers came off easily and were re-useable. I guess the early housings have different threads vs. the ABS ones? Either way, the job is done and the 15A strut plates went in as well. I'm waiting for a new caliper to arrive, because since I took them off, I need to bleed them...and obviously one of them snapped off as I was trying to open it.

After that I took a break to do some yard work...and the starter on my riding mower died. ARG. It's been an expensive day :(.
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #404
Broke4speed
Board Member

I won the 'rebuilt caliper lottery' today. The Raybestos caliper I ordered from Rockauto has both dimples where they should be. It looks like I might be driving my Volvo to work on friday .
Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #405
Broke4speed
Board Member

...and spoke too soon.

It must have been a caliper for the solid rotor, even though I specificially ordered one for the vented setup. It would not fit over the rotor, so I had to 'alter' it. I was then having issues bleeding it (my own fault, learned that later) so got frustrated and managed to get the snapped off bleeder out of the OG caliper. I cannibalized the 'new' part for it's bleeders and pins and put the old one back on. After figuring out how to bleed these fershlugginner calipers, everything is now cool...except I'm out $60 for the rebuilt caliper. Live and learn I guess.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #406
Broke4speed
Board Member

It's been a glorious, but cloudy, day. I drove the car for the first time this year, since I was too sick *cough* to go to work today ;). Everything is working great, nothing's leaking, and I even washed it.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #407
Broke4speed
Board Member

Best.

Weekend.

EVER.

My wife was visiting a friend in Toronto for the weekend, so all I did was work on my car, drive my car, go to the junkyard, eat chips and cheese curds, go to Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight), and drive my car. I mean...I love my wife, but a sunny weekend with ONLY car stuff?! That's a once-a-year thing! :D

I also built a DIY power bleeder and tapped my spare B6304 block for a turbo oil return. Basically, I only came in the house to feed the cats, lol.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:18 AM   #408
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Congrats to your best weekend

Hopefully the next second best will come soon, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #409
Broke4speed
Board Member

Hit up the local yard today and found TWO sets of T5 blues! Now I've got injectors for my eventual +T6 .

I also installed my H4 quad headlight conversion and a trans temp gauge. Tomorrow I'll be swapping to some 15" wheels to see if a newly-developed mega-shake in the steering wheel is tire related. Not too happy with that, since my 15's are fugly :(.

Last edited by Broke4speed; 06-01-2019 at 09:52 PM..
Old 06-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #410
Broke4speed
Board Member

F**k.
Collapsed soft lines on the pass side. Looks like a long weekend of brake bleeding ahead.

Although, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the chinese 'light' switch that I got off Amazon fits the stock foglight blank perfectly. It's a 100% match, size-wise . Now I can get to installing my fogs.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #411
Broke4speed
Board Member

So about a week ago, the downshift transistor in my original/hacked-up mess Poi-shift died. Luckily I was almost finished the updated version...

I finished it up and installed it so I could keep driving, and it is so far working like a charm. The PCB version is hopefully going to be more durable than the first one I built, which was pretty terrible and loaded with cold solder joints.

I've also got a replacement 'resonator' coming. The 'finest' that Amazon.ca's 'scratch-and-dent discount' category had to offer:

My current resonator is a 3" straight through magnaflow can, and the car is just too loud at cruise. The rear muffler is a larger magnaflow 3" straight through can, but it fits really well, so the only thing I can replace is the res.

I also grabbed some 740 steelies at the local yard that'll replace my Hydras next year. I'm just not feeling the 16" wheels anymore, and have rocked steelies on every project car, so why not this one .
Old 07-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #412
Broke4speed
Board Member

Muffler update:
LOL.
So...that muffler is TINY. I mean, I read the dimensions, but I guess it never dawned on me how small it would be. I am definitely not using it, but it only cost $22 CAD, so I'll find a use for it some day.

My next project might be to address how sensitive the steering is. Even though I put the redblock pressure valve into the whiteblock pump, it still feels twitchy.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #413
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Muffler update:
LOL.
So...that muffler is TINY. I mean, I read the dimensions, but I guess it never dawned on me how small it would be. I am definitely not using it, but it only cost $22 CAD, so I'll find a use for it some day.

My next project might be to address how sensitive the steering is. Even though I put the redblock pressure valve into the whiteblock pump, it still feels twitchy.
Twitchy as in light/easy to turn, or twitchy as in a slight turn of the wheel is excessive for input?
It's all just lifter noise til it comes out the side.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 AM   #414
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Love the swap! You ever make it to the volvo show in London ON? Its a bit of hike for you I would imagine but a great test of your workmanship.
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #415
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Twitchy as in light/easy to turn, or twitchy as in a slight turn of the wheel is excessive for input?
REALLY easy to turn. The wheel has almost zero resistance, which bugs me.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:08 AM   #416
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothdurban View Post
Love the swap! You ever make it to the volvo show in London ON? Its a bit of hike for you I would imagine but a great test of your workmanship.
Volvo show in London? There isn't much of a Volvo community up here near Ottawa, so I have no idea there are gatherings like that, haha. Did I miss it? I am 100% sure it'd make the trip, although until I replace the resonator, I'd need ear protection to drive it that far, lol.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:53 AM   #417
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Volvo show in London? There isn't much of a Volvo community up here near Ottawa, so I have no idea there are gatherings like that, haha. Did I miss it? I am 100% sure it'd make the trip, although until I replace the resonator, I'd need ear protection to drive it that far, lol.
Yes Annual family day https://canadianvolvoclub.org/index....amily-day/2019

July 28th. Not to far for me to go but there is a guy from Sudbury that makes it.
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #418
Broke4speed
Board Member

Hmm...food for thought.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #419
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:

Have you checked with Homer? A perfectionist Engineer.... he's obviously got his sorted with 30K miles since whiteblocked.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #420
Broke4speed
Board Member

I haven't, but that's a good idea. I'm running the original 240 pressure relief valve in the whiteblock pump, so I'm sure my pressures are correct-ish, but I guess it's just a bit too 'soft' for my liking. I got a Borgeson pressure reduction kit (https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produ...cat=133&page=1) that I'll experiment with at some point and see how it feels. I'm using JIC-to-metric fittings at the rack and pump, with an off-the-shelf piece of pre-crimped hydraulic hose (2' in 3/8") and I finally have a non-leaky system. I'm now hesitant to open it all up again to install the shims, lol.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #421
Broke4speed
Board Member

So, I was supposed to go to a car show today...but decided it was time to install the turbo stuff instead. The manifold and turbo are now on, the blue injectors are installed, and the oil return line is mocked up. I have to hit up Princess Auto for a 1/4 JICM to 1/4 JICM fitting to join two 4AN (or 1/4 JIC) oil feed lines to make one long one, and I need an oil drain pan as well. Once the lines are done, then it's just the intake piping and I'm done. Hopefully that means it'll be running by tomorrow night.

I'm using a TD05H 16G with an 8cm T3 interally-gated hotside., which should be plenty big enough for my desires. If the 5cyl 2.5s can get away with a TD04H, then my 2.9 (let's be honest, Volvo rounded up, lol) will work fine with a TD05H.

Last edited by Broke4speed; 07-13-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Old 07-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #422
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

NICE!

Btw just bigger tires on the front and the PS won’t feel so light ;)
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #423
Broke4speed
Board Member

The steering has actually improved somewhat, since I replaced the lines and banjo fittings with AN stuff. I'm sure it's all in my head, but I'll wait and see before installing the pressure reducing kit.

The desire to turbo the car just kinda struck me, and I have everything I need, so I figured why not. It's still stock compression, so supreme gas will be required, and I already have the car plumbed up for water meth (had it on the B21+T). The wastegate I used is ~5psi, IIRC, which is a good place to start for a bit more forward motivation that stays within limits. Should be fun .
Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #424
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

I read on TB recently that Volvo has a factory turbo exhaust mani for the 6 hole whiteblock. I wonder how it would fit a 2 series engine bay? Don't know if offered in North America..... might have been in the Lankku thread.
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #425
Broke4speed
Board Member

There is one for the SI6, but it doesn't fit :(.