home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-27-2019, 12:19 AM   #126
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I've had the washer bottle in the trunk of my 242 for a few years now, stock pump. It works, takes a couple pulls to prime it up sometimes is all.
Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Since the car must be by definition street legal, you might think about shaking it down thoroughly rather than just show up at first event..ya know like make sure the oil pressure and oil temp gauges work, the water temp gauge sorta works*, the loose forgotten stuff is found now rather than after you tow 800 miles and pay some outrageous entry fee so when the time to put the foot down comes, you can drive the event without thinking anything about the car...just "where the fawk should I brake?" "is this a kink or an acute?"

Whaddya got lined up for tires? Anybody told ya what pressure to run? How much?

*assuming somebody convinced to to have a few functioning gauges..Maybe a Volt meter too.
It is MT plated, insured and legal. I’ve driven it around the neighborhood a few times.

My conclusion about using street driving, at least in Santa Cruz proper, as testing is that it is sketchy. I don’t want to push my luck. We have that exhaust noise limit law now, and I don’t think it will pass. The car stands out kind of gnarly which does not help.

Towing out to my friends place 20 miles and cruising around the mountains all day? Sure

All the gauges - tach, boost/wbo2, op, ot, wt, volts all work great even if I go under the dash and wrestle the harness around by hand. All systems work great, idle is a tad rich, hot oil pressure is right at 3 bar, no overheating. Charging at 13.8 volts.

I have 10 Federal G-10 tires mounted on my Methods. I was going to pick Robert or Al’s brain about pressures.
73 1800es - resto
08 c30 T5 6spd - daily
97 dakota 5.2 4x4 single cab short bed - apocalypse mobile

Last edited by pat244ti; 04-27-2019 at 11:20 AM..
pat244ti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:37 PM   #127
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

We haven’t used the Federal tires, but Dmacks and Hoosiers like ~30psi hot. So that’s around 25-26psi cold.
If you’re running a small tire and/or it’s really rough, you might want something like 35 hot to reduce the chances of getting a flat.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #128
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
We haven’t used the Federal tires, but Dmacks and Hoosiers like ~30psi hot. So that’s around 25-26psi cold.
If you’re running a small tire and/or it’s really rough, you might want something like 35 hot to reduce the chances of getting a flat.
I was figuring around 30, thanks!

Here’s the piccies of the mostly finished car

Old 04-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #129
towerymt
the real Towery

I like the gold cage / gold wheels a lot. Look forward to video and sound.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #130
Jerd
Board Member

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing how you dial things in as you get some seat time.
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #131
stick70
All the gauges

Baller, Pat! I wish I could commit to anything long enough to justify a race car.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:44 AM   #132
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
I like the gold cage / gold wheels a lot. Look forward to video and sound.
It sounds good! It's a little tamer with the v-band cat stuck on to it. I'll have video up soon

I liked the gold wheels and cage on my hobby stock so I went for it, despite white possibly being the logical choice for the cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing how you dial things in as you get some seat time.
Getting seat time will definitely be the main goal for now, which means keeping it on the road. If it's not too much of a handful I don't expect to change much, maybe spring rates eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Baller, Pat! I wish I could commit to anything long enough to justify a race car.
I honestly think if i was smart, I would have been tinkering with something like my 1800ES as a long term project the past few years [not just going back to when I started this project] and buying race ready cars to race. Building a car is intense commitment if you want to do it right and it's taken me almost a half dozen of them [between dirt track, road and rally] to figure that out finally. It does give some satisfaction though
Old 05-03-2019, 01:22 AM   #133
122power
dude

Inside looks killer man nice work! So clean.
What tach is that and the fuse box units?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #134
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
Inside looks killer man nice work! So clean.
What tach is that and the fuse box units?
Thanks. There's something fun about building the inside of a racecar out. I get a little better every time I do it I feel like

The fuse blocks are from Del City
https://www.delcity.net/store/Ganged..._10960.h_26034

But to be honest, I wish I would have gone with something that has LED indicators like this unit
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...RoCrdMQAvD_BwE

The tachometer is a Logitech DMI. It has a lot of neat features.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...xoC4bUQAvD_BwE

Last edited by pat244ti; 05-05-2019 at 01:21 PM..
Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #135
pat244ti

I did it!

Story at 11.......[or whenever I recover from the gnarly rally hangover]
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #136
cwdodson88
Board Member

totally saw you! I didnt realize it was your car. Hows the MAF after the race? I'll see if I got a good video of the downhill/farmer gate corner and post it up. the Volvos were in the top 5 for speed in that section.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #137
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
totally saw you! I didnt realize it was your car. Hows the MAF after the race? I'll see if I got a good video of the downhill/farmer gate corner and post it up. the Volvos were in the top 5 for speed in that section.
MAF held up fine! I was doing the 2nd run of Dalles Mountain down [2nd to last stage Saturday] and about 2/3 of the way through I thought I lost a MAF. I misdiagnosed it because the car revved way higher and ran way better with it disconnected. I threw out the final stage and I drove back to service in limp home mode and in the process nuked my $200 cat, turning it into an afterburner for all that unburnt fuel. It was putting on a show coming into parc firme, big 18 inch flame continually coming out of the tailpipe.

It ran better on a different MAF but still cut out - turns out despite running very low boost the whole event [5 psi] I popped the hose off the turbo ever so slightly.

That mistake cost me a podium finish! Oh well I had a blast.

And that downhill on Starveout was so much fun! The series of turns leading into the downhill section is where the speed is built, theres a deceptive right hander right at the top of the hill you need to nail just right to carry speed it seems. I'd love to see video!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #138
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
I'll see if I got a good video of the downhill/farmer gate corner and post it up. the Volvos were in the top 5 for speed in that section.
Have any pictures/videos of the blue 242? I was in that car.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #139
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat244ti View Post

I did it!

Story at 11.......[or whenever I recover from the gnarly rally hangover]
Glad you were able to make it through the weekend, and make it home! No real issues on your first rally.... that's pretty impressive!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #140
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Have any pictures/videos of the blue 242? I was in that car.
yep, and on that same hill you topped out the pack at 85 mph. Pastrana only ran through there at 74, Higggins at 72...
Old 06-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #141
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
yep, and on that same hill you topped out the pack at 85 mph. Pastrana only ran through there at 74, Higggins at 72...

I really hope we beat the blue BMW m3 as well
Old 06-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #142
pat244ti

What was I hitting? Like 65? I couldn’t get much speed going because my brakes were not what I call predictable so I know I was likely slowing earlier than most
Old 06-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #143
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat244ti View Post
What was I hitting? Like 65? I couldn’t get much speed going because my brakes were not what I call predictable so I know I was likely slowing earlier than most
I think he clocked you at 64 or 67, but said you were braking super early for the gate. He had everyone on radar at the first power pole as you crested the R hander all the way down to the gate.

It was hilarious that all 3 volvos were in the top 5 is for speed down that hill.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #144
pat244ti

Quote:
I think he clocked you at 64 or 67, but said you were braking super early for the gate. He had everyone on radar at the first power pole as you crested the R hander all the way down to the gate.

It was hilarious that all 3 volvos were in the top 5 is for speed down that hill.
Yeah the brake pedal was manageable but it sunk quite a bit and locked up if you got on them too quick. I was just trying to bring the car back home
Old 06-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #145
122power
dude

Damn dude thats some mad air. Nice job!
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #146
pat244ti

So before I start making something custom, anyone ever see something like these used in a 240?

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar...drar-mod1.html

https://www.compbrake.com/product/vo...dual-cylinder/

Curious about clearance between the firewall and the strut tower, but I might give one of these a shot instead of building something [especially if the mounting pattern in close to spot on for a 240]

I can handle the extra brake effort if it means having a predictable pedal all around, especially with left foot braking
Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #147
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

I don't think you would have an issue with Tilton short MCs (with the vertical pressure port). The compact Wilwoods might not leave enough room, as the pressure port is horizontal.

From KL via G-Translate: "Total length incl. Brake cylinder: 23cm"

Of note, the box appears to be about the length of the MC, which is 4.1in. So double that to 8.2" (~210mm)

Go measure how far the strut tower is away from the firewall

Last edited by culberro; 06-21-2019 at 04:12 PM..