home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #101
Jerd
Board Member

Brake master cylinder apears to be going out. The pedal slowly sinks at a stop with light pedal pressure. Sourcing an ABS master should be fun. Borrowing a cam shim kit from a buddy, I’m hoping incorrect valve lash is contributing to, or causing the rough idle that has plagued this car since I bought it back. The guy who had it for a while put a B cam in it. Planning building the exhaust this weekend.
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #102
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

No 15g and t cam?

Maaaaan

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:58 PM   #103
Jerd
Board Member

Threw together an exhaust, turned out alright. Like usual, there are a few things I’d do differently if I did it again.

I also checked valve lash and discovered one valve was .002” too tight. Yah that’s a little bit of a bummer because I still don’t know why this thing idles like garbage.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #104
Jerd
Board Member

I got a brake master from O’riellys. Guess I’m doing that this weekend. I have some stainless braided brake lines I have been meaning to put on. Anything else brake related you guys think I should check/do while I have the system open?
Old 05-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #105
slow240
Home Schooled

Buy motive pressure bleeder and never look back. I just bought one after borrowing a buddies, had the 245 bled in 20 minutes, by myself. Totally worth it.
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #106
Jerd
Board Member

Glad you mentioned that, i asked around and a buddy is loaning me his.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #107
Jerd
Board Member

Met a really nice guy named Luke got an m47, STS flywheel, pedal box, front shaft, and a clutch cable. Making a shopping list for the ipd garage sale.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #108
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Yay Luke Jones!

What do you need? I'm at a surplus for parts...
Old 05-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #109
Jerd
Board Member

I didn’t catch his last name. He has a 244 for sale, the body damage is a real bummer, car was super clean otherwise. https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...882762565.html

Cool I’ll have to get my list together and send you a message.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:30 PM   #110
Jerd
Board Member

Replaced master cylinder and installed braided brake lines. Feels so much better!

Decided to toss together a strut tower brace with some material I have had laying around for years.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #111
holtzboy
Honda CRV DD WTF

You got to be careful with the new style clutch cables, they like to stiffen up and bend the firewall plate. Kjets on a Plane might have a used old style version for sale.
4. 84 242DL - Next project car

My feedback thread
holtzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:49 AM   #112
Jerd
Board Member

Good to know, I wonder why? He had an old one too that I grabbed.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #113
Jerd
Board Member

Went to hop in the whip to make a beer run and the door handle broke. None of the near by junkyards had a 240 so I gave welding it a go. It worked but omg was that material nasty. Reinstalled and it’s operational, should probably pick up a spare Incase it breaks again.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #114
Jerd
Board Member

Old 05-19-2019, 04:52 AM   #115
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

i am missing pipes through passenger compartment ;)
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #116
Jerd
Board Member

Tachometer installed.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #117
Jerd
Board Member

Drilled

Broke

Dog

Welded

Third pusher

Last edited by Jerd; 06-08-2019 at 12:38 AM..
Old 06-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #118
Jerd
Board Member

Most are wise enough to pull the springs and cycle the suspension while building an over axle exhaust. I on the other hand, like doing things twice. Pan hard rod would contact the exhaust about a half inch before bump stops. Re-did the exhaust and have plenty of clearance now.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #119
hackster
Board Member

Nice work!! Glad to see you chomping away on this thing again. Let me know when you are ready for the long travel setup in the front. Pretty sure we can do center mounted arms off a new crossmember and make it drive well.

I also like doing things two times......it doesn't get better with age.

Sean
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #120
slow240
Home Schooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
Nice work!! Glad to see you chomping away on this thing again. Let me know when you are ready for the long travel setup in the front. Pretty sure we can do center mounted arms off a new crossmember and make it drive well.

I also like doing things two times......it doesn't get better with age.

Sean

I've wanted to do a long travel setup in the front for a while now, but I never could figure out where the rear pivot points would go. Front pivot is easy, you could even use the stock Kmember with some modifications. But those rear bushings that you've been fighting with, I never could come up with a design for it.

Unless you went with a 7/9 style control arm with a stay rod, but even then, the pivot point has to be on the same plane as the front.

Idk, if someone figures it out it'll be you lol
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #121
Jerd
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
I've wanted to do a long travel setup in the front for a while now, but I never could figure out where the rear pivot points would go. Front pivot is easy, you could even use the stock Kmember with some modifications. But those rear bushings that you've been fighting with, I never could come up with a design for it.

Unless you went with a 7/9 style control arm with a stay rod, but even then, the pivot point has to be on the same plane as the front.

Idk, if someone figures it out it'll be you lol

Seems to me like you either keep factory control arm mounting points and shoot for 11-13" (edit: more like 10") of wheel travel with a McPherson strut. Or get silly with some tubing and double A arms for 15-20" travel. Being budget limited and attempting to keep my goals realistic im leaning towards staying McPherson. I think 14-18" (edit: more like 10-12) of rear wheel travel is attainable and more than that will become difficult without just continuing to increase ride height. I think 12ish up front and 16ish out back sounds good.

For the front, i found a long travel strut for the rear of a Subaru forester made by hot bits with 305mm of travel. JohnV made some 240 steering knuckles with a billet machined insert to adapt to a modern strut assembly, so thats not unrealistic. I need to take a lot of measurements and check for limiting factors such as ball joint, and tie rods. Control arms will need to be longer.

Im not expecting the rear to be difficult but i have not looked into what that kind of travel will do to the driveshaft/pinion angle.

Probably going to run a 215/75/15

John V bits, i could copy this idea to run a suby forester strut.

Hot Bits 305mm travel strut for the rear of a suby forester, they build to order and will custom valve. They have a single adjust and a double adjustable option. Still need to contact them and see what all the options are.

Still just spit balling at this point... Opinions?

EDIT: emailing hot bits, a 305mm stroke strut is 811mm long. Thats like 7" longer than stock. Most lifted guys are going 3" longer and control arm angle at full droop is already getting extreme. I would have to change the angle that the ball joint mounts to the control arm and probably extend the control arms atleast 2.5" over factory. Not to mention the ride height and control arm angle at ride height would be concerning... Hmmmmmm 12" travel with a strut and factory control arm mounting locations may not be possible after all.

EDIT: I could cut the top of the strut tower out and raise the upper strut mount out the hood. Then there is maintaining tire clearance at full compression.

Last edited by Jerd; 06-26-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Old 06-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #122
Jerd
Board Member

Bought one of those aliexpress shifters. Thing is a piece of ****. The revers lockout collar is not even remotely concentric was binding on the stop at the bottom. The hole tapped in the top of the shift rod was not deep enough for the bolt they put in it allowing the shift knob to move freely. The ball pivot is not a ball it’s more like an oval and with the supplied brass bushings would bind horribly when shifting into anything other than 3rd. The shaft is straight and would require a bend to even work. They chose to use a different size pivot ball so I can’t even use the brass/bronze bushings with the stock shifter. Ended up just hacking the shaft off the China shifter and welding it onto the stock shifter and then extending below the pivot point with some 1/2” rod. After correcting the screw length as well as removing material from the lockout shaft to prevent binding, it looks good and feels good.

You get what you pay for?
Old 06-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #123
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

I mean sellholm is expensive as ****...
Old 06-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #124
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

I am having JRZ build some struts for me right now with factory housing length but with 235mm of travel. Getting them valved for gravel / offroad.

food for thought
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #125
Jerd
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
I am having JRZ build some struts for me right now with factory housing length but with 235mm of travel. Getting them valved for gravel / offroad.

food for thought
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up!