home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #326
GTJordan
Been here for too long

I like your use of the V8 aux belt tensioner. Creative and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Funny I'd been looking at the v50/s40/c30 pumps for kind of the same reason. They have 2 extra wires that I'm thinking might be a PWM control for it. I'm not sure.

Either way, looks like a great option where a normal PS pump wont fit or work. Been thinking about it for the truck actually
The two extra wires on the P1 pump is a CAN connection.

jordan
Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #327
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post

The two extra wires on the P1 pump is a CAN connection.

jordan
Lol I was actually going to PM you that same question. Good to know
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #328
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Did a little more digging on the issues with them: the fans are the weak spots on the R53 pump. Pulled up the records for my Mini and each time it's been the pump fan dying (no sensor or signal)
Good thing I mitigated that failure by never even installing a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post

jordan
Sharp eye. I actually stole the whole thing off the engine for the Fake Race Car, including the turnbuckle that tensions it.
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #329
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Had a bunch of initial problems with vacuum leaks around the lower injector o-rings. The ID1000 injectors I'm running are a tad longer than the factory S54 injectors and the o-rings weren't seating properly in the bores. I ended up making new brackets for the fuel rail and replaced the o-rings with ones that have a larger rope diameter.

Here's a shot of the oil pooling inside the intake ports that I mentioned in the last update. This kicked off a headache of epic proportions.

Every single port was soaked in oil and four out of six had pools of oil on the valves. The intake manifold, charge plumbing, and PCV system were all dry so it was definitely coming from the valve stem seals. Long story boring the first shop screwed the head up completely and all the work they did was suspect. I ended up dropping it off at Ed Pink Racing Engines and just asked them to fix everything. Got the head back after about two weeks ready to go. They did a kick-ass job and I won't let anyone else but them touch engine machine work from now on.

Got everything bolted back together and running smoothly. Karl and I struggled a bit with the fuel calibration, turns out a turbo and ITB's is a bit more complex than either of us are used to. Our calibration expert friend Neel came out and dropped some knowledge bombs on us, with his help we had the fuel map pretty damn solid in a matter of 20 minutes. Still tons of driveability work left but I can chip away at that pretty easily myself over the next few weeks.

Made a simple bracket that wedges in place into the lower cubby that holds a couple of auxiliary oil pressure and temperature gauges.

Last night Karl and I were out tuning around the shop when the ECU suddenly started tripping a bunch of e-throttle plausability checks. Realized pretty quickly that the e-throttle actuator wasn't working. We figured it was some roached wires inside the actuator or burned up motor windings but upon disassembly noticed that one of the intermediate gears was cracked.

This was likely caused by me not adjusting the throttle linkage properly and letting the motor hammer the hard stop inside the actuator whenever the throttles closed. Swapped in a spare gear, adjusted the linkage, and reduced the minimum h-bridge duty cycle to reduce load a bit.

After a few more hours of farting around and fiddling with tip-in and tip-out cal the car just up and died. Had to flat-tow it back to the shop. We looked over the data logs, did some testing, and realized the cam sensor had taken a big dump and was effectively shorting the ECU's 5v rail to ground. I'm going to swap in a spare sensor tomorrow and go back out for some more tuning, working on blending in some IAC valve airflow at low throttle positions to make the car behave better from about 0%-1.5% throttle.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #330
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Right after fixing the e-throttle gear Karl and I were driving around doing some calibration and the car started running like absolute crap. The +5v sensor bus on the ECU was browning out badly and causing all kinds of weird symptoms. Flat towed the car back to the shop, did some troubleshooting, and found the cam sensor was bad. Luckily I had a good spare on hand to throw in. It appears that the hall effect sensor element broke free inside the sensor housing and got nice and blended by the trigger wheel:

Went to a local cars and coffee event, just drove the car around for a while. Noticed I was getting some coolant seeping from the expansion tank barb on the radiator. When I went to tighten the hose clamp I realized the tang on the clamp had smashed into the hood and broken the barb on my brand new Nissens 940 turbo radiator. Derp. A new one was only $130 on rockauto but it still sucked.

Been daily driving the car the last week or so, just enjoying it. The turbo comes on crazy fast with the twin scroll exhaust housing and it scoots pretty good at just 10psi of boost and conservative timing. Pretty excited to put some more timing in it and turn up the boost a bit.

The car is in dire need of a better axle setup so I've been chipping away at my aluminum diff housing that I picked up a few years ago. I have a clutch type limited slip and a 3.73 gear set to go with it. Ended up getting a full floater conversion from Sellholm Tuning in Sweden as well. Hoping to shave 85lbs or so off the weight of the rear axle once this is all put together.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #331
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
Hoping to shave 85lbs or so off the weight of the rear axle once this is all put together.

Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #332
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Well... dang.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #333
Jerd
Board Member

That is some serious weight reduction, cant wait to see final numbers. Love this car
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #334
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

As usual the only response to your posts is wow.

Did you get the floater kit used or does Sellholm still make them? I couldn't find them on their website, but I also can't read Swedish.

Are you going to do a Watt's linkage setup as well?
Old 07-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #335
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

The amount of work that has gone into this thing so far in 2019 is staggering - and the results are awesome. It's so smooth and refined while cruising but it wakes up almost instantly when you roll into the throttle. Doesn't have that BMWesque blatty exhaust note now but I actually like the low-key stealth turbo sound even more.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #336
122power
dude

Ed pink stuff is bad ass.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #337
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
Ed pink stuff is bad ass.
IIRC, he builds all the engines for Singer?
It's all just lifter noise til it comes out the side.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #338
122power
dude

Idk but its a very competent engine shop. Mostly race stuff but very good machinists there.
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:38 AM   #339
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Thanks dudes, I'm also very excited to see how the final weight of the axle comes out. Here's the short run down of the parts I'm using:

1030 aluminum center section
Dana 30 LSD
Sellholm Tuning full floater conversion
3"x.120" 4130 axle tubes
Wilwood rotors and aluminum hats
Audi B5 S4 aluminum calipers with integrated parking brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
As usual the only response to your posts is wow.

Did you get the floater kit used or does Sellholm still make them? I couldn't find them on their website, but I also can't read Swedish.

Are you going to do a Watt's linkage setup as well?
Thanks Tate. I just e-mailed sellholm and bought it. All the parts were in stock and shipped next day. No watts link on this axle. The aluminum housing is split down the middle of the bearings and won't accept a watts link diff cover. I'm pretty happy with the panhard rod anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
The amount of work that has gone into this thing so far in 2019 is staggering - and the results are awesome. It's so smooth and refined while cruising but it wakes up almost instantly when you roll into the throttle. Doesn't have that BMWesque blatty exhaust note now but I actually like the low-key stealth turbo sound even more.
It's been a slog for sure but I'm still excited to make it better. A+#1 turbo match on this engine though. The boost response is awesome and fills in a ton of mid range torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
IIRC, he builds all the engines for Singer?
Yes, Ed Pink builds all the engines for Singer cars. I saw two or three complete engines ready for pickup when I was there with the cylinder head. Couldn't be happier with their service and attention to detail.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #340
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Thanks Tate. I just e-mailed sellholm and bought it. All the parts were in stock and shipped next day. No watts link on this axle. The aluminum housing is split down the middle of the bearings and won't accept a watts link diff cover. I'm pretty happy with the panhard rod anyway.
may I be slightly impolite and ask how much it cost all said and done? Approx numbers fine of course just trying to get a sense of the investment required.
Stiggy Pop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #341
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
may I be slightly impolite and ask how much it cost all said and done? Approx numbers fine of course just trying to get a sense of the investment required.
Not impolite at all, the price is listed on their web shop. I didn't buy the complete kit, omitted the adapter plates since I'm making new axle tube ends anyway. Ended up being about $1500 all-in with shipping. The parts showed up less than a week after ordering.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #342
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Thanks, Alex. I'm interested to watch how you put it all together.
Stiggy Pop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #343
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

Quote:
Not impolite at all, the price is listed on their web shop. I didn't buy the complete kit, omitted the adapter plates since I'm making new axle tube ends anyway. Ended up being about $1500 all-in with shipping. The parts showed up less than a week after ordering.
That's not as bad as I thought. Sounds like great customer service too. Think they'd be as accommodating to uncultured English-only speakers?
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #344
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka
Delicious as usual.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #345
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

This build is fantastic. Very much the OEM++ style of repowering and improving I enjoy.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #346
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
That's not as bad as I thought. Sounds like great customer service too. Think they'd be as accommodating to uncultured English-only speakers?
I have no doubt they would. English literacy in very high in Sweden and your money is just as green as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
Delicious as usual.
Thanks chief. It's no 5 cylinder but I do what I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
This build is fantastic. Very much the OEM++ style of repowering and improving I enjoy.
Thanks dude!
Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #347
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Gah-dang.

If I didn't know better I'd say that this is the product of a rocket surgeon.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #348
Chuck W
Board Member

Simply in awe.

Everything looks great!
'83 Tbird Turbo (2.3T/T5/MegaSquirt)
My feedback thread
Chuck W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #349
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

I REALLY want a ride in this. Badly.

Great job you guys
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #350
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
It looks very similar to the one in Peggen Anderson's Group A Nordica car.
Dave B

'84 242ti, owned since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because. B21FT, iPd Springs/Sways, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD retrofitted, 3.91 diff with G80.
Volvo seeks Divorce from Volvo Enthusiast Community: www.prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: www.davebarton.com
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote