home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #101
Justin
Lamentable Ricer

+1 to invisible haha - they really don't pick on them. Almost better than a Subaru!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #102
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Lets see if this works, if I didn't have as much going on I would of gotten more or better videos but this is the only clips that were worth uploading.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #103
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Last edited by thelostartof; 04-11-2013 at 01:00 PM..
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #104
Justin
Lamentable Ricer

^^ Hahaha thats great!!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #105
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

That is only the second time I have gone w0t with him in the car, it seems to like it as he is always wanting to ride in daddy's car along with wanting to go fast.

Today I had an up and down day working on the car, had my welder semi break to the point where I have no clue what is wrong with it so Monday it goes off to the shop for repairs.

Besides that I spent the entire day building a transmission flush tool (similar to the motive power bleeder). I am not happy with how it turned out as no place had sch40 pvc, only ABS which will not properly take pressure, this is fully functional and working great, it is v1.0. I am tempted to redo it with sch 40 clear so I can see the fluid but we shall see, I have to do a lot more planing as this was a build it while I plan in my head. Either way 12 qrts later and it seems to work great in pushing the fluid into the valve body and then causing it to drain into the pan, I am trying to make it so I can use it on All volvo's for sure (with IPD's trans flush hose) along with other adapters for say my GMC and anything else that I will want/need to flush trans fluid with.

And pictures

Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #106
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Got the intake manifold reinforced . . .

Also today I went for smog and passed with great numbers. .. . . But I failed the Evap test as my power wire I ran for intank is leaking. So time to get a bulkhead fitting and redo it properly and then for sure I will pass.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #107
rj740t
Board Member

That intake manifold is so sexy! Does it spool slower with that huge plenum? Is throttle response affected by much?
Where in the powerband is the major improvement of that intake over a stock intake?
Really nice built! I love your car!
rj740t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #108
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

It does spool a bit slow but there are a lot of factors to that, LH is prob the key factor, once I go MS it should get a lot better.

Either way @ the track once you get the turbo spooling @10psi off the line the turbo is all in and always there the entire length of the track.

Bit improvement on the big end, Next time I get to the dyno we will see what the new header and intakes gains were.

Found the leak on my gas tank finally, stupid fitting on the larger tanks is leaking where the plastic fitting is pressed into the tank so I need to drop and reseal or just install a new tank so we shall see, I have like 20 days to fix and get it back on the rollers to pass smog.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #109
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

removed the 3rd brake light on the 744 that sits at the base of the window and installed one off a s70 Volvo that fits on the roof, not super happy with how it mounted but for now it works until I figure out something better. Cleaned up the back of the car a lot.

You can see the rear brake light at the base of the window in this picture (ignore the mess as once I clean up the shed I will get more of the mess out)

And removed . . it is very odd not having a light there.

Made a new TPS bracket while trying to fix my leaking throttle body, first time didn't do anything, second time I used some RTV and got it to seal. car finally idles better but still runs a bit odd.

And removed the nasty ass old round coolant bottle and put in a nice new 940 bottle. Coolant was a bit dirty so I will prob flush the system in a week or two and use some pentofrost blue. Bracket is a bit ghetto but it works.

Last edited by thelostartof; 07-14-2013 at 04:57 PM..
Old 07-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #110
Roy 940
Board Member

Is your car ok for the evap test now?

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=247082
Roy 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #111
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Technically no . . . But this is why I put a wanted post up for another 3" TB with those fittings as this TB doesn't have the fittings like the one I just replaced.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #112
Roy 940
Board Member

Bad news...
Roy 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #113
pwschuh
Rolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy 940 View Post
Bad news...
... does not get better with age.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #114
shaved240
Board Member

where did all the pictures go :(
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD

on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungledorifuto View Post
ship me that m46 for 40 bucks and im game
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #115
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

They are back up.... Host had a hiccup.

Also had the throttle stick wide open while next to a cop getting on the highway..... And invisible.... Didn't even look over. Got it unstuck and got the issue resolved now.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #116
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Swapped out the rear HDs for Konis and installed an ipd panhard rod to move the axle just a little to the drivers side to center the axle.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #117
Lord_Athlon
Chuckie Blows

Those the ones I pulled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #118
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Spacers came today, going to be drilling them out to the right ID tomorrow, I should need 3mm worth of spacers on the small side (1.5mm on each side), the large side will need 6mm (3mm on each side). I will get some pictures of the spacer setup tomorrow.

So far this is what I have.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #119
gear whine
advocate of k-jet

ooo shinny new torque rods...on/off throttle you will notice it's a lot more responsive
For Life.
gear whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #120
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

We shall see, I am trying to get the most traction possible as the weather gets cooler here the car will be picking up some power and it already struggles to hook on the street at 20+psi when it is 110deg here. I can not imagine how stupid it will be when it is 60deg out.

Either way after the rear Konis and the adjustable panhard rod (poly bushings) I am wanting to try to dial in the car more so I have been doing a ton of research about building my own coilovers of which I finally know all.of the parts I need, I just need to find the $ to get them. Once built I can install the front konis I have and added with these solid torque rods I am hoping the rear end is a bit easier to deal with. I am hoping I can set the pinion angle correctly to get the most out of these arms. The solid bushings should also help as I keep being told over the new uro bushings I put in when we reinforced the arms a few years back. The big bushing on the bottom rotated 90degrees while installed so who knows what that means.

I still need to get the battery moved to the trunk and get the engine bay wiring cleaned up, just finding time is the hard part. Once that is done ms is right around the corner. I keep wanting one last dyno or track run on lh with this trans to get a good baseline.

Last edited by thelostartof; 09-06-2013 at 09:12 AM..
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #121
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Torque rods installed, I do not know why people say they are noisy as I did not notice any odd new sounds, Also installed two new front tires as my 2+ year old tires had a bit of camber wear on pass side and small line that looked like it was coming apart on the inside. Either way it fixed my vibration issue.

Rear suspension wise new rods seem to feel good so far, I will drive it to work tomorrow and see how it feels. I will re-torque them tomorrow night after I put 100 miles on it.

Sorry for the bad pictures, no idea why the camera was taking such bad pictures today.

Notice how the big bushing had rotated 90 degrees while installed, very odd, all of those bushings are ~2-3 years old as I installed new when I did the reinforce the subframe.

You can see the awesome welding work that Jao did to strengthen these

Doing the best I could I measured what looks to be -2 deg on the diff so that is near ideal already, both rods were matched to stock lengths as you can see, but some how my new adjustments were a little off as stock was -.2 and now it is -1.8 deg more so I am going to stick with that for now.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #122
justlie
Board Member

Did the same thing but mine clunks on every shift. I also have Super-pro bushings everywhere except the front in-frame bushing for the rear subframe. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

I'm going under it again the next couple of days to verify everything is tight.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #123
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Where did you get your torque rods from? My next thing I need to do is build a solid bushing of sorts for the front bushing on the subframe.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #124
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlie View Post
I'm going under it again the next couple of days to verify everything is tight.
Was going to say...sounds like **** just ain't tight.

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #125
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

I torqued mine to 70-80 as it sounded about right for m14 bolts, 100 just sounded to tight for m14.