home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #151
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

do yourself a favor, don't bother with anything less then MS3x. the featureset and resolution will come in handy. I have some nice e85 maps that may come in handy for you that I have been street tuning/dyno tuning and daily driving for a few months now. I run full sequential injection and ignition, it's not hard to install and is the beez kneez. being able to tune injection angle for big big injectors helps with things like idle quality and overall power when using big nozzles.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #152
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE View Post
do yourself a favor, don't bother with anything less then MS3x. the featureset and resolution will come in handy. I have some nice e85 maps that may come in handy for you that I have been street tuning/dyno tuning and daily driving for a few months now. I run full sequential injection and ignition, it's not hard to install and is the beez kneez. being able to tune injection angle for big big injectors helps with things like idle quality and overall power when using big nozzles.
ms3x is very nice, but if he already has an ms2 setup....
Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #153
DNAsEqUeNcE

it's not too late to upgrade. it's worth the money from the start.
DNAsEqUeNcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #154
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Why?
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #155
DNAsEqUeNcE

Because Race Car
DNAsEqUeNcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #156
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE View Post
it's not too late to upgrade. it's worth the money from the start.
It'd be an outlay from zero. He has a 2.2 board with a msns-e daughterboard built by kenny and modded for his car, that now needs a jumper wire and his drop in ms2 chip.
ms3x would be $$$ comparatively (but the non janky deadtime would be nice)
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #157
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Well a step closer to MS this weekend going over what I have and what it will take to make run, In the coming weeks rumor has it the MS2 ECU will have the few wires run to make work as what I was reading to do sounds different than What I was told yesterday.

As for MS2 vs MS3 . . . I do not have $500+ to burn on another MS box just yet, on top of that if this current MS setup doesn't run better than LH and allow me to do more than maybe I should just stay LH . . .

MS3 is great i am sure of it, But this box that I have should allow me to adjust the timing where needed along with fuel enough to get better mpg and make more power under the curve along with more up top. Both a bonus as right now I am mainly going MS for better MPG as the car is already stupid enough power wise, the power gain is just a bonus.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #158
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Small updates

Building a dual mount for two different style 'fuel' cans in the back of the car. They stopped making the Blitz style units so they not longer fit perfectly in the trunk of my car. Everything newer is either to wide or two long. So this is what I have come up with, it is for sure not done, I am still deciding on possibly another mounting point to support the weight of 10gal of fuel moving around in the back. Also I am going to be using some kind of tie down strap to hold them both tight and in place.

This is for either long tips in needing the extra fuel OR just when I go to get E85 I can get enough that I do not have to make the few miles out of the way trip as often.

And Yes I know those are Diesel Cans, I figure E85 nozzles are Yellow, Diesel are Green, so some blue paint and stencils an these can say E-85.

Last edited by thelostartof; 11-10-2013 at 11:49 PM..
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #159
Roy 940
Board Member

Have you tried your Koni's rear shocks? Is it an improvment over the Bilstein's?

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=247082
Roy 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #160
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

So far I do like the Koni's in the rear, they are set at full soft, I need to get them back out and adjust to the firm setting. I have the Koni Fronts here on the shelf and I am hoping to get those installed in the next week or two.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #161
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Left is 215/45/17 on 7" wheels off the 944, 2 years old and starting to crack in the tread.

Right is the 265/35/18 on 8.5" wheels off the 744, 2.5 years old and dry to the point that I can still spin them from a 50+ roll.

Behind are the new 265/35/18's that are going in place of the old.

Right now I have the 215/45/17 mounted onto the 744, Do i dare take it out for a drive to see what traction is like @ 350whp???
Old 11-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #162
cosbySweater
Board Member

Doit
1995 Porsche 993
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #163
Roy 940
Board Member

What are those 215 tires?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #164
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Nitto something or other, they came with the wheels when I picked them up a few years ago.

just looked it up, Nitto NeoGen
Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #165
Roy 940
Board Member

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #166
Daviticus
Board Member

Vids of the shens plz.
Go read performance subforum for like a month.
Daviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #167
Roy 940
Board Member

Updates?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #168
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Well two of the bolt holes on my intake manifold stripped out (for throttle cable) so I have been in need of replacing it, so This is what I have been up to.

I really wanted to dyno this setup but it looks like I will have to dyno this NEW setup and then rebuild my monster plenum and dyno with that to see changes.

This is my problem right now, throttle body and upper rad hose are a weeee bit to close to each other, This is semi my fault because of the 92+ n/a radiator but the stock -91 placement of it (because of the 4" thick IC)

So this was the first test fit on what I want to do

And this is the problem

And this is my temp solution for it

Here is my kickdown setup, Not ideal but once it runs I will test out and possibly redo.

Here are all of the cables assembled.

So later this week I will make some spacers to mount the IC a little higher and bolted in place to the chassis. From there I will make brackets to mount the stock radiator about 1" lower than stock placement so i can run that until I get my new radiator in place and fixed.

As for my new radiator ya'll will have to wait and guess until get is completed and done, but the basic Idea is an off the shelf $130 shipped to my door aluminum radiator flipped around with two new fittings on the rad for the overflow tank and small hose on the overflow.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #169
diponyou
Board Member

Why did you decide to go with nathans intake instead of your beast?

93's Build Threadhttp://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264885
84 242 Hi-Comp N/A Build Thread
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=290023
diponyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #170
Roy 940
Board Member

It'll be super interesting to have both value (Nathan intake and yours!)!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #171
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Mine had stripped out threads and needed to be repaired, being that it will take a while to get fixed I also wanted to see the difference in plenum size as I want to be sure that mine was not hurting power.

This way I Can dyno with this one and then once mine is repaired swap back to the other one and redyno, that way I can not only help myself make sure I am making proper power but I can also help us know which size plenum and runners might be better setup for our engines. Plus mine makes alternator swap and a few other things a bit more effort because of the size.

Not like there is a ton of dyno info out there on custom intakes comparing things on Volvo Engines.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #172
diponyou
Board Member

Ahh ok look forward to seeing the difference. If you you decide on selling the beast let me know I have cash in hand.
diponyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #173
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

My old one will not be sold, once fixed it will be going into the regina car before I MS it, but if I V8 that then who knows. Either way no way it would ever fit in a 240, this is a 7/9 part only.

Well good news is the car is running again, I am going to do plugs possibly tomorrow (finally switching to WR6DC+ which is one range colder than stock and one range hotter than what most people run). I still need to pressure test the system and check for any possible leaks along with finish filling the coolant before I test drive it.

Not 100% happy with the intercooler pipes but for now it will do until my new Rad gets fixed up and installed.

I build a custom bar (no pictures) for the IC to sit on and from there I have the lower rad mounts. This allowed me to lower the rad just slightly.

Tons of issues with TB's with the evap fittings so I need to make a new TPS bracket for one of them and then I can finally hook the evap back up.

And pictures.

New upper mounts

Horrible pictures of the lower mounts

Test fitting fittings for the base, I should of used 90deg fittings for them all as they all hit something, the brake booster and heater controls line semi hit the heater hose hose and what was my PCV system so I had to relocate that hose

Way to tight of a radius bends out of intercooler and into TB

Clearance around the Hoses

Fittings under

All installed

Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #174
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

I like this.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #175
Roy 940