home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #201
Daviticus
Board Member

A chippable EZK, a set of your chips for huge injectors [75lbs?] and the hopes the 025 MAF I have will actually work, haha.

Just seems like your setup is tried-and-true and would be a nice package deal for someone looking to stretch a redblock to near the level you currently have without going to a stand-alone. I've got a harness built for LH2.4 already and would prefer to use it on my 8v since I'm going MS with the 16vT.
Go read performance subforum for like a month.
Daviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #202
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Ok so update for today is that I need to redo the kickdown cable as the trans slips at part throttle when I have it set on high boost. Full throttle is fine as I have full actuation just not the right starting ratio so I will redo as I had zero issues on my old setup so it is just the angle at which the cable hits the spool.

Check valve seems to of failed for the HVAC so I need to fix that also. Otherwise drives good.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #203
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Car feels a bit odd, Could just be the two tight radius 90 bends I have so for now I will keep boost low until I get the new Rad so I can run the better bends. Trans feels so so I guess, Still feels like part throttle loading of the TV cable still doesn't feel right.

I also am running one range hotter plugs so I might go back to colder plugs and see how it does.
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #204
diponyou
Board Member

good to see progress is coming along again. It is funny that when the rest of the country cant do **** to their cars it is the time we get most done.

93's Build Threadhttp://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264885
84 242 Hi-Comp N/A Build Thread
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=290023
diponyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #205
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Well I hooked the pressure gauge up to the trans and it looks like the TV cable was not bumping up the line pressure quick enough for the throttle opening so I got a new cable and got it installed tonight, what a PITA (because of lack of space around bellhousing and firewall, transcooler lines, exhaust section had to come out), but its in. I have to cut this new cable and put the fitting on so I can fit it in the throttle spool, and then recheck the pressure bump timing so it happens nearly right off idle. Maybe later this week I will have her back together and on the road, Once I have this TV cable/pressure issue fixed I can put some proper miles on it.

Also the new fitting on my rad have almost all been weld'd up so that shall be here soon and I can do the semi proper IC pipe setup I want as I still feel like these two tight radius 90's are hurting flow.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #206
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Well I think last night I got the TV cable set correctly as it ramps up pressure right after throttle opening. Tonight I will pull off the pressure gauge and go for a test drive after I check fluid levels as it lost a bit when doing the cable swap.

I might finally get a better set of test miles.on this setup.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #207
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

and the transmission is still alive, shifts good so I am happy.

Power still feels down but I blame that on the hotter plugs and tight 90deg bends. My rad should almost be ready so I can swap to the 135 and 45 deg bends to properly test.

Good to drive it again and be able to use boost. I will try to get some more miles on the setup tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #208
Roy 940
Board Member

Why did you install hotter plugs?

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=247082
Roy 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #209
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

I have been doing a lot of reading about e85 and I have seen mixed results so I wanted to give it a shot. The plugs are still colder than stock turbo plugs as they are WR6DC+, but that is just one rangle colder than stock vs the two ranges that most run (stock is WR7DC, and most run a WR5DC).

E85 and my 3.5" exhaust is a bit wild, I can come back from an hour of really hard driving and the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe feels cool to the touch, I need to get my IR gun (well find it first) and check the actually temp.

I do note that the car does start up and idle better on these plugs than it used to with the two ranges colder plugs.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #210
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Put some miles on the car now and for the two times I got on the throttle it felt nice and strong. I need to do more testing but things are running good and so far power is good. No comment on more or less just yet.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #211
Roy 940
Board Member

Very good news if you're happy now! More info/video are needed
Roy 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #212
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Not a lot of updates today, put a few more miles on the car at slow speeds.

Swapped out my J9Fab Corbeau brackets for some Kaplhenke brackets. Main reason is that the J9Fab were made for bottom mount and fit better the reclining seats than these fixed backs as they sit a little high. So now the seats are a little lower which I am happy about as now I can see all of the gauges haha. Either way I can reuse the J9Fab brackets in the 944 with my other set of CR1 Corbeaus.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #213
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Well car has been running good the last few days.

Last tank was 14mpg so laugh all you want but that is pretty good for this monster as if I drive it hard @ 25psi the number drops a lot, on pump gas I used to get 16-17 before I switched to e85. I am getting more motivated to go MS as I am starting to semi prep for it.

Well put the car up in the air tonight to do the Camber mod only to realize that my 11 year old strut mounts have cracks in the rubber so I am going to not reinstall those and get a set of adjustable camber plates otherwise the new ones I order will get the mod and then swapped into the 940.

While doing this I found the source of my clunk in the right front that has driven me nuts for the last year which was a loose glad nut, very odd as I have checked it a few times and it was always tight, but this time it was loose so hopefully that was the clunk. The Bilsteins have come off and the Koni's are going in once I have the new camber plates. I really want to do coil overs but that is further in the future as I am running out of funds for some of this.

So pictures maybe tomorrow of the car in the air and semi missing pieces.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #214
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Got these installed

I need to dial in the Camber as quick check shows 1" of camber so around 3.37deg, I need to dial it down to -2 or so as it looks excessive but seems to feel good. My one spot I test the car at made it feel like it was going a bit to slow or the front end almost had to much bite, odd feeling. Need to get a local or two to help me test and dial it in.

And damn less than a month and I have a bunch of Kaplhenke parts on the car, time to get a sticker or two.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #215
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

Still a mini-meet on the 8th?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #216
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Yes
Old 01-30-2014, 03:50 AM   #217
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

woohooo kaplhenke carnage
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #218
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

pics now, and also more lowering. time to pull fenders.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #219
justlie
Board Member

Didn't Ben just say in another thread that no cutting is required with his camber plates?!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #220
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Depends on how much adjustment you want along with the bolts you use, if you use the smaller low profile bolts then not needed, The way I set mine up I went a bit overboard so I cut a little off to give what I thought would be correct, turns out I went way to far. I see no reason it needs to be cut to run these, I will know for sure when I move these over to the 940 once I go weld in camber plates on this car.

Like I said now that I see how much more Camber I have than I need/want I could of done this without cutting.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #221
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

I will try to get day pics today. But this is from last night. Like I said to much, I need to dial it back this afternoon

Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #222
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Yeah...
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #223
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

For sure. You would have to be driving hard on a track to get those puppies to wear evenly with all that camber

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:08 AM   #224
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

So I pulled it back out to maybe -1.5deg and I am not as happy so I am going to dial a little more back in. Stupid adjustable stuff making me fine tune things.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 AM   #225
diponyou
Board Member

mini meet on the 8th?
diponyou is offline   Reply With Quote