home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #51
Jerd
Board Member

From this last weekend. Mobbed it down some sandy roads. Low traction but smooth and straight some large whoops from time to time. Bottomed the front out more often then I'd like to. Needs stiffer springs and less droop travel more compression travel. Going to try some 275lb front springs. Right now these struts are on the 40th click out of 40 so I hope going from 225lb spring to 275 doesn't make me want more damping up front. The rear is way under damped so it was kinda scary from time to time. Need to get the bilstiens in but atleast the spring rate feels about right.

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get this suspension setup right. Might need the front struts revalved...
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #52
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Might be time for a rebuild as well (new fluid/charge/seals)
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:05 AM   #53
Jerd
Board Member

Yeah i think ill send them in for a rebuild/re-valve and run a 275lb or 300lb front spring. I have some spare trailing arms for the rear that i want to box up and build some drop down shock mounts to run these bilstiens i got. They are 22" from eye to eye extended and 14.5" compressed. Id like to be able to run them at different ride heights and be able to adjust how much droop i have at ride height etc. So lots of adjustability would be nice. Ill be able to play with nitrogen pressures too so ill have lots of dialing to do.

Need to build some torque rods. I like the idea of doing rubber on one end and a heim on the other. Same thing for trailing arms rubber on the chassis and id like to run Ben's bearing housings in the axle. I want the axle to articulate freely and i will control that with swaybar and/or spring rate and damping.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:04 AM   #54
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
I nominate you as president. Mad max was the first that i knew of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
seconded. and the d24t 245 is incredible.

....can I join? I promise ill get bigger tires lol
I started a FB group so we can all keep in contact easier.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1445688605740920/

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #55
Jerd
Board Member

Oh yeah, on my way back from eastern Oregon charisma decided she didnt want to shift into 4th, so i drove at 60mph for like 80 miles in 3rd lol. Just turned the music up. Its a good thing she likes it rough.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:17 AM   #56
slow240
Home Schooled

Time to slot the od solenoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, b230ft/aw71, 16t.
'89 780. Fine Corinthian leather.
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #57
Jerd
Board Member

This car is pissing me off
Old 08-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #58
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Y

Mine is too btw.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #59
Jerd
Board Member

Seems like everything is going wrong all at once.

Some of it is my fault some of it is that **** is old and cant hold on any longer.

These struts are straight blown now... I mean pretty much no damping. I lifted the car to take a look and found that what looks like a coating is coming off the strut shaft and fluid is just pissing out of them. Makes me want to rip the whole setup out and just run stock length housings and HDs. Tires are done for as well.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #60
Jerd
Board Member

Seriously though, i paid to much for these to be ****.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #61
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Might be time for a rebuild as well (new fluid/charge/seals)
Correction, it was time a for a rebuild. They are monotubes, they loose their gas pressure and need to be rebuilt, SOP.

Quote:
Seriously though, i paid to much for these to be ****.

If you can't rebuild them or have them rebuilt then its time to start
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #62
Jerd
Board Member

Been fixing things here and there. Procrastinating dealing with the front struts. Contacted Odi at feal suspension again. Waiting a reply. Im thinking ill send them in for a rebuild and revalve. Its just a pain in the ass because now i need some struts to go in so i can drive my car while the 220s are out for rebuild. I have been thinking about the ride height alot more and im contemplating putting it back to around stock height. With everything i have done in this car in the last 4 years or so i have never really needed the ride height. It has been fun in some cases. Mobbing over **** i shouldn't be driving over... But there have not been any particular instances where i found myself really happy to have the added clearance. Again its not a 4x4 its just a gravel/dirt road car/daily driver.

Leaning towards starting over with a fresh set of strut housing/spindles taking my time, cleaning them up and using proper diameter coilover sleeves and a proper stop ring. I dont think ill change the housing length at all. The 220mm struts have a slightly shorter body so i will need to fab a small spacer or reuse the ones i already made but shorten them. I want to remake the strut gland nuts to be as thin as possible and minimize the amount of travel they take away from the strut. Not sure how i want to accomplish this yet. Ill be changing the main spring to a 12" 300lb and running a 100lb helper/tender. Id also like to modify the upper spring seat to minimize profile and maximize available strut travel.

The rear will have its 200lb springs cut and a shorter shock will be implemented to accommodate correct droop/comp ratios at ride height. Ill be replacing the torque rod bushing with rubber on the chassis side and running a heim joint on the axle. Bens spherical axle bushing/bearings will go in with a rubber bushing at the chassis side of the trailing arm. I have a spare set of trailing arms that i want to box up and fab up a shock mount that has several locations so i can move the shock up and down and forward and back to find a sweet spot.

Tires... i want a smaller diameter in an AT pattern but im having a hard time locating anything. I think im going to end up with street tires and just have to deal with it when i do take it offroad.

Dif will get welded and it needs a manual transmission.

So thats the plan as of today. Progress will be slow so dont hold your breath.

Last edited by Jerd; 04-22-2016 at 09:16 PM..
Old 10-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #63
CTSwee
Board Member

Since setting my car back up to ~stock ride height, I haven't once wished it was any taller. I think you're making a good choice. On the tires, take a look at some winter tires with a harder compound in the smaller size you want. I personally am going to go with 205 65 15
CTSwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #64
Jerd
Board Member

Waiting to hear back from bilstien, sent struts in for revalving 4 weeks ago.
Also. If there is something that really should have sunk in with me by now its, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #65
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

He's been saying that for ages.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #66
Jerd
Board Member

Also had to re-do the steery bits due to premature failure of the tie rod ends. I think i got them too hot durring welding. This time i lengthened the tie rod and kept the pivot end cool.

Oh yah and Kyle sold me some new wheels, sitting on some ~ 24" tires right now kind of enjoying the improved gas millage and around town drive-ability.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #67
Jerd
Board Member

Finally got my struts back from Bilstein.

12" 275lb main spring with a 100lb helper.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:56 AM   #68
brendon_ak
Board Member

This is awesome
brendon_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #69
Jerd
Board Member

Old 05-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #70
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

How's it handle/ride now?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #71
Jerd
Board Member

Disappointed, should have valved more aggressively. Still to soon to tell.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:05 AM   #72
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

That's too bad. try out the Yoshifab-sourced GAZs. They are tits.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #73
Jerd
Board Member

After driving on these struts for a while, i can tell you that this valving is extremely mild. This is the valving that these struts should have for the stock spring rate.... Im very annoyed that not only did i spend way more than i should have to get this valving but it turned out to not be near what i was hopping for.

Traction is pretty good on gravel considering im now on a street tire. The spring rate and damping is soft enough to really maintain contact with the ground. Dirt roads with medium potholes and or dips/ledges and these struts do not have enough damping to slow the travel down. The damping feels good at slower speeds but its sprung enough to not be "comfortable". Rebound from big compression feels okay but id like a lot more. On top of all this, the strut mounts are failing and need to be replaced. The rear of this car is begging for more damping and some bushings need to be replaced with a harder compound.

If i did it again i would do 420/220 @ 520mm/sec with a 300lb-325lb spring.

Also i had to pull the helper springs out because the coils where rubbing on the sleeves really bad. I should have got a 10" main spring to run with the helpers. Or a barrel spring...
Old 07-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #74
Jerd
Board Member

Almost looks stock.

Full Droop

Ride Height
Old 07-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #75
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
After driving on these struts for a while, i can tell you that this valving is extremely mild. This is the valving that these struts should have for the stock spring rate.... Im very annoyed that not only did i spend way more than i should have to get this valving but it turned out to not be near what i was hopping for.

Traction is pretty good on gravel considering im now on a street tire. The spring rate and damping is soft enough to really maintain contact with the ground. Dirt roads with medium potholes and or dips/ledges and these struts do not have enough damping to slow the travel down. The damping feels good at slower speeds but its sprung enough to not be "comfortable". Rebound from big compression feels okay but id like a lot more. On top of all this, the strut mounts are failing and need to be replaced. The rear of this car is begging for more damping and some bushings need to be replaced with a harder compound.

If i did it again i would do 420/220 @ 520mm/sec with a 300lb-325lb spring.

Also i had to pull the helper springs out because the coils where rubbing on the sleeves really bad. I should have got a 10" main spring to run with the helpers. Or a barrel spring...

What travel front?

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote