home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #51
ovlov760
Board Member

I finally sourced a used sunroof assembly.
ovlov760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #52
ovlov760
Board Member

Today was the day to replace the busted sunroof with one that was working when removed.

I managed to get the headliner out while only slightly cracking one piece of interior plastic. I was expecting much more P80 plastic carnage from a job like this. I ended up deciding to cut the headliner wiring for easier removal.

Getting the 20-30lb assembly out and back in the car was pretty awkward to do solo.

Headliner out.

The old sunroof assembly.

No sunroof assembly.

Known bad sunroof. Lots of junk in the tracks. At the very least one of the cables needs to be replaced for it to function again. Another part for my junk Volvo parts collection.

known bad sunroof and known good sunroof

Now the car finally has a sunroof that works.

Last edited by ovlov760; 06-16-2019 at 10:47 PM..
Old 06-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #53
ovlov760
Board Member

I returned the exhaust back to stock. It seemed to be the simplest way to deal with the rust issues of the rear section.

I added a used IPD strut brace. I do find P80 cars benefit much in the ride quality department from adding these. The car feels noticeably better on bad roads.

I also noticed some rust on the under the rocker panel covers. I have not taken them off yet to see just how bad it is. I hope it's just a few spots of light rust. It kind of looked to me that the sharp edges of the cover have cut into the paint over time. I don't know if simple rust converter is the answer for this?

10k miles to go...
Old 06-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #54
Vol242vo
Board Member

Awesome job on the headliner/sunroof replacement, that looks like it was a chore! As far as the rust goes, I'd take a small wire wheel and take that rust down to clean metal, wipe with some alcohol or paint prep, then throw some converter on there. I like POR15 and Chassis Saver. From there you could decide if you want to fill the void or maybe it would hide well under the seal. Either way that'll fix it and stop the rust from continuing to grow.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #55
ovlov760
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Awesome job on the headliner/sunroof replacement, that looks like it was a chore! As far as the rust goes, I'd take a small wire wheel and take that rust down to clean metal, wipe with some alcohol or paint prep, then throw some converter on there. I like POR15 and Chassis Saver. From there you could decide if you want to fill the void or maybe it would hide well under the seal. Either way that'll fix it and stop the rust from continuing to grow.
Thanks!

I ended up using a POR15 kit I had. The rust was a bit worse than I was expecting. I should have either been more careful with the application or gotten silver POR15 paint. The rocker panel cover doesn't quite cover what I did.

This is what was hiding under the panel cover.

I definitely didn't do a perfect job. These areas don't get any UV exposure but I would like to rattle can them volvo 426 silver anyways.

What I don't understand is why the drivers side of the car has more rust than the passenger side.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #56
matt b
Board Member

Last picture seems to show some rust bubbles. It might be better to sand the whole section down, apply more POR-15 and then go over the whole thing with a can of Silver paint.

That's unusual, these don't rust easily. I wonder if that panel had an issue to begin with or had prior collision damage done on it.
matt b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #57
ovlov760
Board Member

There are bubbles but I didn't address them. I was not expecting to see that much rust when I started this. I'm guess I'm also torn on how effort I should expend on one of these cars.

Body work is not my thing. I'll probably address it slowly as I find time. I'm currently trying to get my house ready to sell while simultaneously cleaning up another property.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #58
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Where did you get your exhaust parts? Looks good.
2006 V50 T5 AWD 6MT: 135K
Feedback Thread
kampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #59
ovlov760
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampman View Post
Where did you get your exhaust parts? Looks good.
eBay. IAP brand? It survived UPS ripping the box apart. It seems to be of decent quality.