home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #101
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Me too... Waiting for my buddy to finally free up a place for me in the shop...

1979 242 B21 on MS, waiting on L33
2006 V50 T5 AWD 16 PSI +
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #102
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Lot of edits to my 1st post.

At a bit of a halt due to my buddies shop being busier than ever swapping Cummings motors into Jeeps but the parts pile still grows..I haven't been including the rare parts and options I've been hoarding up for this car, I'll post them at some point when I start installing them.

Dismembered 240 axle housings compared to my 9" rear, things look good in the 1st pic, second pic kinda shows things aren't exactly in the right position, may be hard to tell from my crappy pics though.

Tremec crossmember and Ford to Volvo speedo cable

I've been looking at steering wheel options, it needs to be large because of no power steering and wide tires, also needs look right. Grant makes a lot of large ones but I don't like any of the ones I've seen. Momo only makes little ones, any ideas? R Sport ones are also kinda small.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #103
RvolvoR
Board Member

why aren't you going to run power steering?
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #104
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Because the car doesn't have it and I like the feel when driving. When the new suspension is installed maybe I'll feel differently. I've always preferred the manual rack in the Porsches I've had. I don't think it would be a big deal to add it later if I want.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #105
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Because the car doesn't have it and I like the feel when driving. When the new suspension is installed maybe I'll feel differently. I've always preferred the manual rack in the Porsches I've had. I don't think it would be a big deal to add it later if I want.
a Porsche doesn't have that much weight up front and doesn't have very wide tires up front either. When you add a proper amount of caster to the front end, it will just be even worse to drive. How do you like the feel when driving of steering pull because of wide wheels on the front of a 240? Just install power steering a have a car which is decent to drive.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #106
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

The Porsches were 944s and 951 so they did have the engine over the front. I actually have almost the same front tire on there now, 225/50-17 vs porsche's 16. You're probably right that it will be better with power steering, I'll think about it.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #107
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
The Porsches were 944s and 951 so they did have the engine over the front. I actually have almost the same front tire on there now, 225/50-17 vs porsche's 16. You're probably right that it will be better with power steering, I'll think about it.
225s aren't big and you're complaint about low speed steering feel now? put some 245s or 255s up front and get back to us.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #108
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Actually I didn't complain about anything, was just asking about nice looking larger steering wheels. But you've given me something to think about, and I appreciate hearing from someone with experience.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #109
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I should have mentioned the 944 with manual steering I installed a Momo 340 mm steering wheel and it made it even better. The Volvo is a bit more of a pig in parking lots, thus my question.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #110
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Tonights project, rubbing it out, got a set of used mirrors in good condition, but needed some love. I also bought a set of new flat black mirrors but after looking at them side by side and taking a vote with Turbocowgirl (my lurking fiancee) we are going for the original stainless mirrors. So I got new tubes of red and blue Wenol polish and went to work. I found out its very hard to take a useful pic of really shiny stuff with my phone...but you can probably get the point. The cleaner one is after 2 rounds of hand polishing with red Wenol, still far from done but looks much better and most of the light scratching is removed. Still a little cloudy but we'll get there.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #111
Turbocowgirl

Cool, J
Turbocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #112
Old Iron
I Roll

Is this car goin to be ready for Carlisle!
Old 12-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #113
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

If I don't start the engine swap haha. My buddies shop is still backed up worse than ever, and Im waiting for some of the rear suspension parts still.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #114
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Finally got my surge tank (due to me slacking on ordering it, not the manufacturer), it looks beautiful, shame it has to go in the trunk.

It has two Walbro 255 pumps installed, and has a nice cannon plug connector. To save time and work I also ordered two relay kits to run the pumps. Those kits come with all the wiring, Hella relays, connectors, everything needed.
The pumps will feed 2 Aeromotive 100 micron fuel filters to an -6, -6 to -8 AN Y fitting.
Surge tank is going to be fed by an Aeromotive 340 lph in tank pump, because I have new one sitting around.
Fuel filter brackets are Evil Energy 50mm ID bought on Amazon, much better deal than what was available at Summit.

The jewelry

Pump and relay goodies

Filters and stuff

Also found a mounting plate for my PCM, these aren't very common, most PCM mounting solutions are for 2004 and earlier, mine is a 2005. I don't understand the part number system for the PCMs so found this by looking at pics. Labeled for a "411 PCM", 411 is not one of the several numbers on the computer but whatever, it fits.

So that takes care of the fuel system for the most part, installing a new used tank hopefully this weekend with a bulkhead fitting for the surge tank return. Just need a bunch of fuel lines.

Edit: forgot to give some credit to my hard working shop manager haha

Last edited by 2turbotoys; 01-08-2019 at 10:16 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #115
Vol242vo
Board Member

Not seeing pretty parts stinks...

Haha good pup! My Black Lab is a slave driver...

Derek - 1980 242
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:02 AM   #116
RvolvoR
Board Member

you should actually be using 10 micron filters before the injectors, not 100.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #117
volvo?
That One Guy

This is the ECU mount I have used in a few swaps. It works well and holds the ECU in the correct position.

https://www.psiconversion.com/produc.../ACC-1030.html

It fits all ECUs that look like yours. And is a factory gm part.
volvo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #118
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I love labs!

I got the 100 micron because that's what Aeromotive's website recommended, unless I misread it. I'll have to check that again I guess, thanks.

I looked at that ECU mount on a few sites and all the applications stopped at 2004, here's an example:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...9/applications
Good to know it fits though.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #119
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Edited the filter specs, I got 40 micron filters, this is what was recommended by Aeroquip. Too many parts...confusing me haha.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #120
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/post-p...el-filtration/
Post pump fuel filter: When choosing a filter for use after the pump and before the engine, use an Aeromotive 10-micron (part numbers 12301 and 12310), 40-micron (part number 12335), or an acceptable equivalent. Note: these filters are for use on the fuel pump outlet side only.
My 40 micron filter should be fine, I'm replacing my old tank with a nice used non-rusty unit that will be thoroughly cleaned. I won't be fueling up in dust storms or anything, and the stainless elements are easy to clean.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #121
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/post-p...el-filtration/
Post pump fuel filter: When choosing a filter for use after the pump and before the engine, use an Aeromotive 10-micron (part numbers 12301 and 12310), 40-micron (part number 12335), or an acceptable equivalent. Note: these filters are for use on the fuel pump outlet side only.
My 40 micron filter should be fine, I'm replacing my old tank with a nice used non-rusty unit that will be thoroughly cleaned. I won't be fueling up in dust storms or anything, and the stainless elements are easy to clean.
if you have injectors worth anything and you want the keep the motor you just paid for not blown up, why risk it? just buy 10 micron elements.

Also, you can buy a brand new tank for $160-ish
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #122
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Alright, I ordered 10 micron filters from Radium to match my surge tank. I couldn't get different elements for my Aeromotive filters so I guess I'll return them.

I was talked into a used factory tank because apparently the new repop tanks are thin and crappy, there's a big discussion about it somewhere, don't really feel like finding it right now. Moot point anyway since the tank will be here tomorrow probably.

Tonights fun has been trying to get wagon springs in (1.5 coils cut off, already installed new Bilsteins that came with the car), as a temporary measure to prevent the rear fender wells from crushing into my tires over bumps, and to correct the crazy dangerous back and forth action in the rear when going over large bumps. When undoing the nut for the springs one side snapped the nut off, the other side is free spinning. Just got new spring washers but need to score nuts for them, and a second jack to support the swaybar, its preventing the suspension from dropping enough. Gonna just cut the one spring out that has the spinning nut and cut the top off.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #123
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Prepping my "new"" used OEM Volvo gas tank for paint. Yes I know it's galvanized, pointers are definitely welcome but I do know how to paint it. We have military surplus primer specifically for galvanized metal and it will be thoroughly wiped down with simple green then MEK before primer. The first pic has about 2 hours into cleaning, second pic is untouched still. I need to drill a hole for my -8AN surge tank return as well.
For cleaning the tank off, the best tool for the big chunks I found so far is a used gift card, the plastic doesn't dig into the galvanizing. A paint brush dusts off the chunks, Simple Green removes the dust so you can see whats what after putting time in. The worst parts are dust/dirt that has oil or gas soaked in, they stick a bit. The dry stuff chunks right in satisfying slabs haha.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #124
Vol242vo
Board Member

I spy waffle mats...
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #125
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Haha, ya, that goes in this car. That's the drivers side one removed for cleaning. I don't have any extra 240 ones, glad I kept these from back in the day, they are pretty salty on ebay.