home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #201
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Yup, came from Oregon. I even know the PO's name, emailed him but guess he doesn't want to talk

1978 242, getting prepped for LS
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #202
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Are you going to refinish that gauge cluster? The surface finish of most 3d printed things is atrocious.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #203
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Are you going to refinish that gauge cluster? The surface finish of most 3d printed things is atrocious.
Depending on the printed material, there are a few chemicals you can use to smooth the build lines (ABS-> acetone, PLA->Tetrahydrofuran). Then it's just some high build or textured paint.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #204
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Depending on the printed material, there are a few chemicals you can use to smooth the build lines (ABS-> acetone, PLA->Tetrahydrofuran). Then it's just some high build or textured paint.
Yep, thats where the "refinishing" comes in.
blkaplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #205
77volvo245
Board Member

Its also about the resolution and nozzle size he is running. Here are some prints on our printer

Old 05-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #206
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

That looks nice! I don't know how to finish it yet, and it was very expensive so I don't want to mess it up. Open to ideas of course. Culberra, not sure what that means, or how to go about it. I have acetone tho haha
Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #207
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
That looks nice! I don't know how to finish it yet, and it was very expensive so I don't want to mess it up. Open to ideas of course. Culberra, not sure what that means, or how to go about it. I have acetone tho haha
Do you know what the material is?
ABS?
culberro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #208
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I think, but let me ask the manufacturer
Old 05-11-2019, 02:47 AM   #209
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

Quote:
Bump for a couple goodies, R Sport repop gauge cluster with adapter for early dash and Stack Pro oil temp, pressure, and coolant temp gauges.

Also got an Autometer boost gauge, and AEM wideband, but the wideband is currently installed in my brother Harley. Who reads plugs anymore haha, use a wideband

Got my 317 heads also. The best part is I can keep my 799 heads, and have a higher compression ratio until it's turbo time. Been going to my friends shop and working on whatever is there to clear the path for my car. This included head studs on a Ford Triton V10 that sucked, and run far away from those turds. Next one should be fun though, Buick Grand National needs some love.
His stuff he posts of Facebook always looks meh but yet he asks a premium
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #210
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Only game in town...it is well made, its just kinda shiny. I can guarantee its not going to break, that's for sure.

It is made from PETG.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #211
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:

It is made from PETG.
https://www.matterhackers.com/articl...tg-3d-filament
culberro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #212
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks! Looks like sanding and painting is the approved method.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #213
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

So I had my '78 242 up on a lift yesterday and today for exhaust work and u-joint replacement. It is absolutely, completely rust free underneath. Every nut and bolt, panel, suspension piece, shockingly great condition. Seriously considering that the '78 242 should be the project car...
Old 05-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #214
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Seriously considering that the '78 242 should be the project car...
^^^This^^^
Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #215
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

After talking it over with the boss to make sure she wasn't too attached to the '79, I will be building the '78 and selling the '79....
Old 05-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #216
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

And I think I found the rims it needs

https://momo.com/en-us/product/heritage-6/
Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #217
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
And I think I found the rims it needs

https://momo.com/en-us/product/heritage-6/
I've been eyeing a set of those, would look soooo good on a 240 me thinks

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #218
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Ya, after I found those, I can't think about other rims now haha. The only questions now are size and color.

Now to get the yellow one ready for sale. The brakes are a bit overkill for the engine and would be a huge pain to swap...have to install my refurbished gas tank and a few other items before its ready.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #219
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

So I kinda threw myself outta wack with my build thread when I decided to change cars or "swap horses in midstream" as RWC said, I'll attempt to pull it back together now. A few pics of the "new" '78 242 that I will be building instead of the '79. It came with IPD sways and lowering springs, adjustable Konis, Enkie rimps, chassis braces, VX cam, and some other goodies. Porsche Viper Green. Exhaust is 2 Cherry bombs with Hooker glass pack tips, makes a noise the performance can not back up at the moment haha.

Getting the '79 ready for sale includes swapping the gas tank, the ears that hold the castle nut in are missing, and the filler neck flapper was mutilated so I did it the easy way and cut the filler neck off to drop the tank.

Does this count as installed? I wish

A couple gauges installed in the '78, needed the wideband for some diagnosis. Pillar pod does not fit well even after some trimming so I still gotta figure that out. You can see the back of the gauges thru the windshield, I stuffed some black rubber in there for a temp fix.

The '78 had no windshield squirter action, the reservoir had no cap and was full of very stinky black water, squirter pump laying in there not attached to anything. Got cap, pump, new OEM nozzles, lines, etc. Still need to convert plug to the newer style, of course my man Dave Barton has the correct plug which will be here soon. I used stuff from my hoard to do this part.

I am still fighting with K Jet to make the '78 driveable, but that's another thread, where I have gotten a ton of great advice.
Swapping the interior to brown, and have a nice bin of parts to start with.
Enough for tonight, thanks everyone for all the great advice and support!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:52 PM   #220
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Some news, I scored a big brake kit for this car, I got a Z17 kit this time. Respect due to Homer for creating the adapters and instructions, this swap is documented on Davebarton.com. For those that don't know it consists of Brembo 6 piston front calipers and 4 piston rears. This came on Porsche Cayenne/VW Touareg SUVs. I got Powerstop drilled/slotted S60R rotors, and Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior carbon fiber pads to fill them. Mustang GT master cylinder with Wilwood extension, etc...kit cam with mounting adapters and rear brake hoses, but no banjo bolts or mounting hardware. For anyone else who does this, the thread pattern for the calipers is the same as the R brakes, so you can use R front and rear brake lines. This isn't documented anywhere, I had to try it out.

I had to buy a 12 ton shop press to get the dam pad guide rod outta the calipers. Warning to anyone new to shop presses (This is my first one), everything needs to be super level when mounted in the press, not easy on a caliper. Only use short pieces to push on things with.. I tried to use a punch in the press to push the pin out the first time and luckily I was at least smart enough not to stand in front of the press, as the punch shot out and stuck itself in a box about 5 ft away. I ended up pushing on the retention bolt because I am replacing all the hardware, so who cares about the bolts threads...

Cigarette pack for comparison:

240 rear brake pad for comparison haha

What it took to remove the pad guide pins from the front calipers sounded like a gunshot when it let loose.

Other news, been waiting on my buddies shop to let me in for moral support on adjusting the K Jet, but giving up and gonna do it on my own. I looked at the dwell adjustment screw, the plug is AWOL so a PO has been screwing with it, no wonder I have a problem.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #221
BR1CKHOUS3
I like the tuna here

Jeez. Going to be a gnarly car
Only two ways to find out...18 bolts or 18psi
BR1CKHOUS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 PM   #222
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Small update...been frustrated at a lack of progress, and I haven't been able to win the fight against the K Jet running lean on the '78. The frequency valve isn't getting power, and the wiring looks perfect. I got a ton of expert advice here but still haven't been able to get it even close to correct. So I have been spending my free time working at my friends shop where we are doing the swap, unfortunately for me it is a very busy shop. I now know way more about Jeeps than I ever cared to know, and I know to leave if a Ford truck of certain years rolls in haha. Apparently working on Jeeps is very lucrative compared to doing high performance stuff. The guys who stop in for big hp talk and talk but don't spend, the Jeep guys just drop it off and say what they want done. Also frustrating because I hate driving Jeeps, they are awful.

Still collecting parts, got almost all the belt line trim, NOS. I also found some goodies that I'm not showing off until I can get them installed. Arranged for the cracks in the drivers door to be welded, and have all the interior panels in the back of my car trying to find a good upholstery shop to fix the issues with them. My local shop always has the lights on, door locked, with a sign saying "back at 2" but they never are haha.

In the meantime I have been getting the '79 ready for sale, it's done but needs a good bath and polish/wax. I had someone interested but the R brakes and Megasquirt EFI put them off. "I'm a stock kinda guy", direct quote...ok then man, whatever...but have fun with that f###ing K Jet nonsense.

Feeling kinda bummed out I don't have the room to do this at my house, dragging on to long now.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #223
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Finally progress!! Feeling better now haha. Car is at the shop, and I hauled a bunch more parts over with it. I had time to work on it there today, and realized I have no idea where to start, I have never done a project this large. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided rebuilding the rear would a good place.

For a reminder, the rear is a Ford 9" that I scored for $200, already cut down and has 240 suspension brackets already welded on. We are going to beef the mounting points up at some point before install. It has a 3.50 ratio and LSD installed, neither of which I want in there. 3.89 ratio, 35 spline axles, and Detroit Truetrac are what I want.

Rear is disassembled now to check it out and order parts.
Parts ordered:
3.89 ring and pinion
Detroit Tru Track
Install kit

Need to order:
Axles, bearings, and seals

Anyone want the gearset and LSD cheap? It looks like it's in excellent condition.

No idea how to get my Brembo Z17 brakes installed on this thing yet, looks like a huge PITA but I want it to happen...

Old 08-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #224
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Eaton Detroit Truetrac is here! Rest of the parts should be here Friday.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #225
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Yukon Gear 3.89 ratio ring and pinion are here, still waiting on install kit...