home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-11-2019, 01:21 AM   #51
xDread92x
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Yeah charge from low side only. High side closed on the manifold, but open on the hose (so you can read high side pressures). Charge with the can upright if possible, as you do not want to feed the compressor pure refrigerant in liquid form. Itís very helpful to have a blowdryer to heat the can up, increasing pressure differential. But obviously donít make it hot hot. Just donít let it be cold.
I understand what you mean on the hose having the gauge open. But what do you mean closed on the manifold??

So when filling refrig have the cog handle open for low and high closed when car is running so pressures can be read safely??
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #52
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDread92x View Post
I understand what you mean on the hose having the gauge open. But what do you mean closed on the manifold??

So when filling refrig have the cog handle open for low and high closed when car is running so pressures can be read safely??
Yes, you are using manifold gauges right? The part that you hang off the hood from the hook is called the manifold. On the manifold you have blue (low side) and red (high side). During vacuuming I leave both sides open on the manifold (counterclockwise to open on my gauges) because it vacuums a bit faster and from both sides of the system.

Then when filling with the car on, fill low side only, because ones the compressor kicks on, high side pressures will exceed pressures of the can and low side, which means it will not charge. Or not easily/safely at least. With the vehicle OFF, you can charge from both sides, though I donít see the point.
93' 245 M47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata 5 speed, 93k
95' Camry A140E, 246k
91' 745 Regina AW701, maybe future turbo project
90' 745T AW71
Past (Volvos):
80' 242gt M46
88' 245T M47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71

People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #53
autoloclys
Board Member

I went through the same thing on my '92. Hopefully I can save you time.

The big obvious fitting is for a propietary Volvo connector that you should ignore. The real low side fitting is on the receiver/dryer itself, probably with a plastic cap on it. The adapter you bought should fit on it, but it will be tight to connect everything up against the firewall.

I never found the high side but successfully charged my system with just the low side connected and got working AC.

I currently have the radiator out and found a fitting on the refridgerent lines that run under the condenser that looks like a good candidate. Easiest access would be from underneath the car
autoloclys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #54
xDread92x
Board Member

Ok thanks for clarifying.

Dumb question but when filling refrigerant and the high pressure side is closed on the manifold will a reading still come up?

I would think not with the manifold gauge being closed. Isn't the the high pressure reading just as important as the low even when filling refrig??
xDread92x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #55
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

You refill based on weight, not pressure.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #56
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Ok thanks for clarifying.

Dumb question but when filling refrigerant and the high pressure side is closed on the manifold will a reading still come up?

I would think not with the manifold gauge being closed. Isn't the the high pressure reading just as important as the low even when filling refrig??
Yes the high side will still read with the manifold closed. But you must make sure the portion connected on the high side line is open though.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #57
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

To clarify, both gauges will read pressure when they are hooked up to the system whether the valves are open or not. Keep the high side valve closed anytime you are working with a pressurized (filled) system.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #58
xDread92x
Board Member

Thanks!!

Hey all so I have another dilemma. My receiver/dryer on the car has a switch/sensor built in with the low pressure port and hoses.

The R/D i bought does not have the switch built in and i am not seeing ones online being sold this way.

Is this apart of the old R12 system? Is there any way I can still us the R/D i bought and do something else with the switch?

I really want to go ahead and use what I have instead of buying another R/D. I'll leave pics

https://ibb.co/hyc1qhc
https://ibb.co/WH826SX
Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #59
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Thanks!!

Hey all so I have another dilemma. My receiver/dryer on the car has a switch/sensor built in with the low pressure port and hoses.

The R/D i bought does not have the switch built in and i am not seeing ones online being sold this way.

Is this apart of the old R12 system? Is there any way I can still us the R/D i bought and do something else with the switch?

I really want to go ahead and use what I have instead of buying another R/D. I'll leave pics

https://ibb.co/hyc1qhc
https://ibb.co/WH826SX
Are you filling from the R/D r12>r134a adapter? I believe the thread pitch is the same for the low pressure cutout switch. Might be worth buying another? All of mine have had the correct fittings. Even the dirt cheap ones on amazon.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #60
xDread92x
Board Member

Hmmmm...yea dammit you are right. I guess I will get another and try this again lmao

Amazon is quite interesting these days.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #61
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Just swap your old switch over to the new accumulator. Use a new o-ring if you have one.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #62
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
Just swap your old switch over to the new accumulator. Use a new o-ring if you have one.
On my volvo, one of the fittings is for the low pressures switch, the other fitting is for the low side readings.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #63
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
The drier may have a fitting for a low side SWITCH, not a service port.

Have you looked at the back of your compressor yet??
??? Have ya?
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #64
xDread92x
Board Member

ZVOLV i got the low pressure adapter worked out on the R/D.

I apparently got one for a 93 240 where the switch wasnt on the R/D. After this new R/D comes in I will be set to go.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #65
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

I will take that as a "no".

On my 1990 240 I just added a R134 adapter on the back of the compressor, vacuumed it down, added the proper weight of refrigerant and some Ester oil and enjoyed the cold A/C. Don't even worry about the high side. I do my work thru the low side.

I just got a really nice oil injector. Its a hand screw type. I just vac down the car, screw in the oil, charge and go. If you don't have a tool, you can just open a line and pour the oil in.

Last edited by ZVOLV; 06-13-2019 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: [
Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #66
xDread92x
Board Member

Yea i have seen that tool around or something similar.

I have a question about the R/D hard line. The hose line going to the compressor came off easy but the hardline going to firewall acts a bit of a pain.

Will I be able to take it off while other end is still attached to firewall? How does removal work for this hardline?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #67
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

If you screw up you may be doing an evaporator! I forget if the lines connect right to it.( No other connections) Be careful. These aluminum threads are easy to strip or crossthread.

Its a good practice to replace the drier because the dessicant gets saturated with moisture, but on old cars I may just avoid it because I don't wanna break anything. I had to do a 3 day evaporator swap last year because I damaged a fitting going the the firewall. The same caution applies to heater core fittings.

Last edited by ZVOLV; 06-13-2019 at 01:53 PM..
Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #68
TestPoint
Board Member

I broke one of the aluminum connectors to the condenser being ever so careful. Some are just not going to come apart.

If it is part of the R/D and you don't want to screw it up just vacuum for a couple hours. That will have affect on moisture in the R/D but replacing it is always better.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #69
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Yea i have seen that tool around or something similar.

I have a question about the R/D hard line. The hose line going to the compressor came off easy but the hardline going to firewall acts a bit of a pain.

Will I be able to take it off while other end is still attached to firewall? How does removal work for this hardline?
Yes you can take it off just use TWO pair of very nice gripping pliers. Hold the evaporator portion very still (helps to have a friend) and loosen the nut/fitting. Might need a breaker bar or something. Another option is the hit your wrench with a hammer, similar to how an impact wrench works. Iíve had to do that before.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #70
freevolvos
Board Member

I would recommend replacing the Schrader valve I've had a couple that had a slow leak there
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote