home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
autoloclys
Board Member

Default buyautoparts AC compressor?

anyone have any experience with the cheap AC compressors sold thought amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JXZKKOO...v_ov_lig_dp_it

yest, i understand the obvious reasons why its "probably" a bad idea, was wondering if anyone has actual experience with them. Since they are half the price of the non-volvo ones on FCP, i figured it was being marketed right at members of this forum.
autoloclys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
iHateVolvoPeople
Lord_Athlons daddy

I bought one from ac kits and it was just a hair under $200 shipped, and works fine. You’ll be okay with an aftermarket, but maybe see if you can find a four seasons unit?
93' 245 M47
90' 744 AW70
90' 745 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata 5 speed, 93k
95' Camry A140E, 246k
91' 745 Regina AW701, maybe future turbo project
Past (Volvos):
80' 242gt M46
88' 245T M47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71
90' 745T AW71 (Donor car for the 91)

People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Matt86
Board Member

Be Careful with those cheap Chinese "New Compressors". A customer had one put on his 960, it came apart internally and filled the whole system with metal shavings. The compressor was only about 8 months old. Had to replace the condenser and various other components due to the failure. There was plenty of oil in the system.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Mr. V
Board Member

I bought one from them a year ago for our 940 Turbo.

Their customer service was fine, but they shipped me the wrong compressor initially; I returned it and they sent me the correct one and it seems to have worked OK.

The problem:

My original compressor has two hose fitting that are perpendicular to the housing, they went straight up. The one BAP initially sold me was different, the fittings were angled about 20 or 30 degrees off of perpendicular. My AC metal hose did not bend and will only work with straight up fittings, and could not be attached due to the fact that the fittings won't mate up.

We sorted it out; I would buy from them again.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Tonyte619
Board Member

I used to work there (for about 6 years in the marketplaces dept), it is most likely a four seasons unit. BuyAutoParts does a lot of drop shipping, and four seasons was one of our bigger sources. We sold decent stuff, if any item started to show poor quality (lots of complaints or returns) we would just stop selling it (especially on Amazon). Also Amazons is pretty strict with returns and stuff, so only our best stuff would be listed on there, to avoid hurting our account and having to pay higher fees.
Tonyte619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
autoloclys
Board Member

I ordered the kit. Of course it came with the angled ports. Now waiting for a response to the “message seller”

Glad I’m not in a hurry
Old 06-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
autoloclys
Board Member

BuyAutoParts responded that based on the part #'s i gave them it should fit, and since it doesnt to return it for a refund (I pay shipping)

i double checked before i sent it back and in addition to the angled ports, the body of the compressor at the rear gets in the way of the hard line on the compressor to condensor hose.

so that was a fun experiment!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
bobxyz
Board Member

The BAP compressor with the angled ports looks like a replacement for the one-year-only 1993 240 r134a compressor (also used for a couple years on the 940s, but with a slightly different pulley). The hoses won't clear the 92 and earlier accessories bracket. 15A has some nice pics and a description here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=348196
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoloclys View Post
I ordered the kit. Of course it came with the angled ports. Now waiting for a response to the “message seller”

Glad I’m not in a hurry
So was the unit a 4 Seasons, or aftermarket Chinesium? If the former, probably several buyers waiting in the wings here on TB.... consider flipping to them.

If Chinesium...... sayonara!

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote