• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Big Bore Throttle Body?

Matt850

Would it be worth the money to put a Big Bore TB in a N/A 93 850 GLT? Great more power/performance?

Thanks,

Matt

No. Not at all.

Get an exhaust or sell your N/A and buy a turbo. Exhaust will give you much more gains than a TB.

My suggestion is, if you keep your NA, make it into a pretty car, not a performance machine. Kinda hard to find stuff to make those cars go faster, but plenty to make them look better(wheels, lowering, tint, headlights....)

Agreed, sell and buy turbo if you want any performance at all.

I have a no-turbo 94 850. And its doing exactly what its supposed to, get me to and from work slowly.

Jordan

Haha, WOW, thank you for the advice. I am only 19 years old, living in Ontario. A turbo model would KILL me on insurance ($275+), plus the cost of the car. I am just trying to figure out diff. ways of modifying my car. I was inquirying about CAI, but that is a DIY'r project and was reading about a big bore TB. However, it seems it will be a cosmetically fashioned car now. I just bought OEM clear corner headlights and tinted my windows black (pearl white ext.). The car is in mint shape, so i'll work on ext. stuff. Any other advice will be appreciated.

Thanks again guys,
Matt

Ok, thanks Hank for the reassurance. I guess I'll leave the whole performance mod thing alone for my n/a 850.

Thanks Guys,
Matt

quinn_volvo said:
you beat me to it.

You can't really do anything with a n/a 850 - just put it in sport mode and hope for the best.

Well you could do a 100 shot :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Don't get me wrong, you COULD make real NA hp... you just have to have DEEP pockets and toss drivability/emissions to the wind. Theres a reason all of Volvo's NA I5's have stayed about the same HP level the last 10 years... they are pretty well tuned from the factory.

Yeah, I guess and right now, I don't have deep pockets. It seems a CAI is hard to do on an NA 850,but I'm gonna keep trying.

Thanks for now,

Matt

CAI doesn't have to be expensive. To get into the heat shield and etc, it does take a bit, but not much. For less than $20 I actually picked up a bunch of rem aluminum, several square feet, you wouldn't need that much, but aluminum might not be the best material. The filter only ran me about $70 and it's genuine K&N and big. I can give you the part number, it's a bailer twine project. It's an OEM filter for a truck or something, but it's drum shaped. It took a very precise shim to make it fit my pipe, but it works great.

It's a b5254f right? How about a b5254f + T. It could still be insured as a N/A but you'd have all the fun of turbo, also you don't here about to many 5cyl +t's. :)

NeoSpeed740ti said:
It's a b5254f right? How about a b5254f + T. It could still be insured as a N/A but you'd have all the fun of turbo, also you don't here about to many 5cyl +t's. :)

ecu's, wiring, manifolds/turbo/dp - not as easy as redblocks.

yea but a white block is fwd so its a pita

and its been done .. even taking a lpt car with the higher CR and throwing on a larger turbo people have/make big power @ lower boost

Keep in mind, if ever you get in an at-fault accident, and your insurance company wants to be a bitch, they could claim the non declared turbo upgrade voids their coverage. And then i just pray for you you hit a ford fiesta, and not a sl55 Amg

Back