home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 07-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #26
swedefiend
Board Member

PS, I met Kenny and Sam in this car - with this motor.

Sam couldn't believe the car wasn't turbocharged. I actually had the NA motor in a turbo chassis. Car was at least as quick as a turbo plus car.
swedefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #27
Kenunot
Board Member

What kind of static compression do you get when you shave .060?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Falwell, Jr
I’m not saying he’s better than Jesus, but even the Lord himself only created, what, twelve jobs?
Kenunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #28
swedefiend
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenunot View Post
What kind of static compression do you get when you shave .060?
Regrettably, I have no idea. Hesco the shop that shaved, ported and did valve work on the head said somewhere around eleven. We didn't CC it (I didn't really care).
Old 07-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #29
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

the aforementioned k-jet b21f manifold is probably about as good as it gets for OEM 8v intakes. the b230f intake isn't really a great piece (although, if you look, the runners are not short at all)

I'm not sure it's worth 30hp over the b230f intake, in fact I have a hard time believing that on an otherwise stock setup. I do know that opening up the exhaust and making sure everything is in good mend will result in a car that does better than average, and K-cam'd cars that are still more or less stock have on more than one occasion turned the rollers up close to what a bone stock late model turbo car does (although, not quite as much midrange torque).

If possible, turn up the base timing until it starts to ping on whatever fuel you run, back it off a degree or two, and see how that goes. There is sadly no free lunch.

The best bang for the buck is a +T, regardless of what the ol windbag(s?) up there says. Having built and tuned several(dozen, in fact), they're hard to beat for around the town fun on a mostly oem vehicle. On otherwise stock stuff, the boost limitations are very similar to a normal FT.

Keep in mind, even some of the more vocal participants here are doing nothing more than spouting off about what other people have said and done both for and against whatever it is they're railing about. Your best bet is to figure out what direction you want to go in, and find someone who actually did it, and talk to them about the pros, cons, pitfalls, and gotchas that sometimes (oftentimes) get left out online, or over exaggerated.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #30
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

oh and incidentally, john V is right about the cams... pretty much the only cams that are really worth a **** come from overseas these days.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #31
swedefiend
Board Member

To be clear, "turbo plus" is not F+T.

Turbo plus was an intercooler added at dealership plus an additional 2-3psi.

F+T would likely have knocked this motors dick in the dirt. (At least the way they crank the boost up around here.)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #32
shoestring
Board Member

Every 0.010" you shave off a 530 head is worth right about 1cc of combustion chamber volume, or approx. 0.18:1 compression point. The more you shave, the less you get due to the shape of the chamber. Also know that despite the advertised 9.8:1 compression, they measure out to about 9.1:1, so upping compression should really be step one with anything beyond an A or maybe B cam.

I had 0.040" whacked off the head in my '91 245, it's at 9.7:1 with an A. Get a little shift detonation with top tier 87 sometimes, depending on atmospheric conditions so it might be a little much. Runs properly on 92/93.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote