home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #26
JohnMc
PV Abuser

93+ and you're slightly more golden? By some slightly incremental amount - round tooth timing belt and piston squirters.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #27
Sam b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
I mean that's a bonus... but finding a proper starting platform will still pay dividends.

You can probably sell your car for whatever other Volvo you try to buy. No need to even get the turbo... it's just as easy (might even be easier) to turbo an NA car as they're easier to find, and the turbo parts are easy to find. Whereas finding a turbo volvo is somewhat challenging.
Wagons in general but especially Volvo's are not very popular where I'm at, what I have now sat on Craigslist for $1200 for 3 weeks before I scooped it up. It's at 193k no rips leather interior, and working heat and AC. So they seem to sit on Craigslist for a while. Plus I've put over $1300 in it since I've bought it. My dad is pretty open to me selling it, he thinks I should just keep it because he likes it. But my mom thinks I'm crazy that I want to buy something else.
Sam b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #28
Sam b
Board Member

But I did just email some guy about an 850 turbo and if he'd trade for my 740
Old 07-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #29
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Dang. I didn't specify 90+ 7/940 turbo.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #30
jerryc
Board Member

700dollarmatt did a regina turbo in an afternoon, iirc. Used the Regina stuff, it apparently worked well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
There isn't one because dudes aren't grossed out by unsolicited vaginas.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:20 AM   #31
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam b View Post
But I did just email some guy about an 850 turbo and if he'd trade for my 740
Don't offer the trade until ur there in person. Most people won't respond to trades on CL because they want cash... but if no one is looking, and you're there you'll get more success.

Also... yes. Volvo's are hard to find in places. They're neat cars, but there may be other/better/more viable options.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #32
itsacrazyasian
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
700dollarmatt did a regina turbo in an afternoon, iirc. Used the Regina stuff, it apparently worked well.
i did it on my last regina car and it works well too. I used a begi rising rate fuel pressure regulator on the stock regina ignition. i put more than 40K on the car in that shape.
itsacrazyasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #33
57plymouth
Board Member

The answer is an LS swap. Struggle all you want to make 230 to 250 horses out of a Volvo 4cyl. Or put in a bone stock truck engine and start off with 300 before you tinker with it.

It will cost more and be more work. Put on your bigboy pants and LS swap it.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:26 AM   #34
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

I would say +t and aim for the 2-250BHP mark to keep it simple.

You can collect up teh parts you need over time and would be a simple conversion as where an engine swap will have a number of snags along the way
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #35
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

How old are you? Because you sound like you're in high school living at home. So you probably don't have much money to do any of these.

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
Sam b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
How old are you? Because you sound like you're in high school living at home. So you probably don't have much money to do any of these.
16, but I'm homeschooled which means I have more time to work and make money than the average high schooler.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #37
Sam b
Board Member

So a +t depending on if I can find anything in junk yards could happen in about a month, but a full swap would have to wait till probably December.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #38
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam b View Post
16, but I'm homeschooled which means I have more time to work and make money than the average high schooler.
Oh to be young and naive again.
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #39
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
Oh to be young and naive again.
And have enough energy to survive for weeks with just 3-4 hours of sleep.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #40
James10952001
Board Member

High school + first car + performance mods never ends well, at least not that I've seen. As someone else said, we pretty much all started out that way and most of us had the same experience screwing with cars, doing stupid mods and making them worse. Performance costs money, especially if it's not a turbo to begin with. At least with a turbo you can turn up the wick a little and as long as you stay sensible you can get a reasonable performance increase on the cheap without breaking things. Don't underestimate the cost and effort of doing an engine swap or even a +T, the costs add up very quickly and once you tear the car apart and it can't move under its own power it's *very* easy to lose motivation. I've seen that more times than I can count, people I've known tear apart a perfectly good car with some minor issue and then get sucked into some ambitious upgrade project, lose interest and the car rots in the driveway for a few years until they finally sell it for scrap.

Save up and keep looking for a turbo car like you want is a good idea. Then take care of it because while they're still somewhat common and can be found occasionally for a reasonable price, they are going away fast. I probably see 1% as many 200/700/900 series Volvos as I saw 10 years ago. They used to be everywhere, I'd see multiple on the road every day. Now I go weeks at a time without seeing a single one besides my own.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #41
57plymouth
Board Member

This is going places.

Listen son; you drive a Swedish economy crapwagon. We all do. They are slow. If you want it fast, plan to spend money and time. A cheap turbo upgrade will cost around $1K minimum and if you aren't careful it will bend rods. By careful, I mean keep the boost at reasonable levels. These cars are old, and they are not common in junkyards any longer. Most of the ones in junkyards have been crushed. It is very rare to see a turbo car in the junkyard near me. In fact, I am not sure I've seen a turbo Volvo in a junkyard in the past few years. A V8 swap will cost at least $3k, but will be less likely to kick rods out of the block. Either way, you have to have a budget and time for the junk to be off the road.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #42
Sam b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
This is going places.

Listen son; you drive a Swedish economy crapwagon. We all do. They are slow. If you want it fast, plan to spend money and time. A cheap turbo upgrade will cost around $1K minimum and if you aren't careful it will bend rods. By careful, I mean keep the boost at reasonable levels. These cars are old, and they are not common in junkyards any longer. Most of the ones in junkyards have been crushed. It is very rare to see a turbo car in the junkyard near me. In fact, I am not sure I've seen a turbo Volvo in a junkyard in the past few years. A V8 swap will cost at least $3k, but will be less likely to kick rods out of the block. Either way, you have to have a budget and time for the junk to be off the road.
Swap is pretty much ruled out, I'm still thinking of a +t. Or I may just but the ipd vx cam if it ever comes back in stock. Yeah I know it will never be fast, I just want it to be not quite so slow
Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #43
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Take your time and start gathering +t parts.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #44
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Sell it and buy a fast car.

It'll be cheaper in the end and you'll have something to sell when you move on again when you get tired of poor fuel economy.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #45
Sam b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Take your time and start gathering +t parts.
This is probably what I'm gonna do.